Possible to run xbmc in VM while doing other things on computer?
Hey guys, I was wondering if it is possible to have xbmc installed in a virtual machine and have that output thru hdmi to my tv while I surf or do whatever on my pc?

Or is that beyond the limitations of virtualization and the video card interface.

I'm running a 2500k and asus gtx460 so I'd have 2 dvi outputs going to desk monitors and the hdmi running to the tv.
Probably not ~ on Windows anyway...

Last time i played with VMWare Player/WorkStation/Server it only virtualized a "basic" SVGA Graphic Card - which wouldn't be enough for XBMC.

VMWare Fusion on the Mac will emulate/passthru the real Graphic Card (GTX460) ~ so if you had a Mac, running Fusion - it would posisbly work.

Of course as i mentioned... this was the last time i played with VMWare ~ and things may have changed on it by now(?)
As to alternative Virtualized environments i.e: Windows Virtual PC, Xen or VirtualBox - i haven't touched any of these...
But basically, if the virtualized environment can 'see' (or passthru) and not emulate a Graphic Card - then it would quite possibly work.

I've always speculated about a Xeon based Server running VMWare ESXi ~ because with the 'right hardware' ESXi will passthru the graphic card to the Virtual Machine.
I've run XBMC on a Win7 VM running inside Sun VirtualBox with success, thought this visualization solution does not allow direct output to a host PC hardware, like HDMI on the main PC videorard.
And the VirtualBox virtual videocard does not support video acceleration so everything is done via a virtual CPU, so video playback in the VM is quite choppy.
Bottom line: this is suitable for testing purposes but not for real, regular usage.
http://www.zoneos.com/zonescreen.htm

I set this up the other day for exactly the same reason, works great with Team Viewer or Splashtop on my Transformer Tablet

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible to run xbmc in VM while doing other things on computer?0