Music DVD's & Movie DVD's - how to seperate?
My XBMC Media Centre comprises quite abit of various content.. i.e:
TV Shows
Movies
Audio Music
Pictures
Music DVD's (i.e: Pink Floyd in concert).

My question ~ is there anyway to separate my Music DVD's & Movies in the Library?
Once my movies & Music DVD's (i.e: Pink Floyd) have been added to the library, these all list in the generic "Videos" section, which i'd rather not happen.

Its rather confusing to a friend who is searching for a movie to watch, and the list will have something like;
"Patriot Games" (a movie)
"Pink Floyd" (a Concert)
"Pirates of Silicon Valley" (another movie)

I'm guessing editing the library to include a new section "Music DVDs" could be a big job...
So currently ive had to stop any Music DVD's from being scrapped & added to the library... but id so like to be able to scrape these (get the covers and other info), but not have it added into the Video Section along with all the actual movies.
There is a music video library available but it is kind of difficult to use at the moment. You could try and use the this library to store all your DVD concerts so they are separate from movies.

If all your DVD concerts are in their own folder structure separate from your movies then you can set the content for that directory to be music videos then you have to choose the scraper for that source. The default scraper (MTV) is marked as broken and you may have been asked in the past to disable it. If you've done that you can't choose it and set the content of your source to music videos. If so, delete the addons db in your userdata directory (just confirm the name by looking in the forums - there have been a few recent posts about this). When you restart XBMC it will ask if you want to disable the MTV scraper - say no to this.

Now that you have a scraper you can set the content of the source to be music videos but you can't scrape anything. you can try adding the yahoo music video scraper but by all accounts this isn't really that good. The consensus at the moment seems to be to create your own .nfo files for your DVD concerts. You'd want to do this anyway as I don't think that the scraper would understand a DVD concert.

Hope this ramble makes some sense.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
Thanks... i understand what you mean ~ but my problem is probably the scrappers;

i.e: Ive got the DVD "Pink Floyd: The Making of the Dark Side of the Moon"
ref: http://tinyurl.com/3t43db8

YahooMusic wont scrape this (or well from what ive seen), but MovieDB or IMDB will scrape this just fine. (and thus if i scrape with these - it ends up mixed with all the normal movie video files)

If i have a 'single' video clip (which ive recorded off youtube), YahooMusic will scrape this fine (or well for a few of them)...

As to the MTV Scraper, can this be made to work? (i.e: if the MTV scrapper was reinstalled?)... sorry i haven't really search the forums for anything about the broken MTV scraper ~ but i keep meaning to, as Yahoo Music seems unaware of some 'big name' video's, like "Pink - F**king Perfect"
ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocDlOD1Hw9k
(i.e; Yahoo Music had a total of 3 songs listed for Pink!! WTF?)
cant you Just use a separate folder and add source for the separate folder in the video section.

Movies
Music Videos
Hi Jetster,

They are all stored in separate folders like you mention;
Movies
Music Video's

But i prefer to use the Library view (instead of the file view), and the music dvd's & movie dvd's will all get stored as 'videos' (in the library), as the MovieDB and IMDB scrappers actually get info on most of the music dvd's. (where the Yahoo music scrapper sucks).

So ideally...
I want to scrape my music dvd's with MovieDB - but have it stored within the library under Music Video's. (and i don't believe i can do this ~ or i can't find how).
You are not going to be able to separate the library itself but you could set it up so you access the library using smart playlists. Have a rule that looks at the path and use that to separate the two. Then use a skin that allows you to put custom entries on the main menu to identify the concerts and movies.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
Here is how I worked around the problem:

1. copied the TMDB addon directory to a new dir, e.g.:
cp -R metadata.themoviedb.org metadata.themusicmoviedb.org

2. edited the addon.xml in the new addon dir:
<addon id="metadata.themusicmoviedb.org"
name="The MusicMovieDB"
<extension point="xbmc.metadata.scraper.musicvideos"

3. set the content of the directory that contain the music DVDs to "Music videos" and select "The MusicMovieDB" as scraper.

Now DVD info is pulled from The MovieDB, and stored separately under Music Videos :-)
(2012-02-15, 12:53)fellbeast Wrote: Here is how I worked around the problem:

1. copied the TMDB addon directory to a new dir, e.g.:
cp -R metadata.themoviedb.org metadata.themusicmoviedb.org

2. edited the addon.xml in the new addon dir:
<addon id="metadata.themusicmoviedb.org"
name="The MusicMovieDB"
<extension point="xbmc.metadata.scraper.musicvideos"

3. set the content of the directory that contain the music DVDs to "Music videos" and select "The MusicMovieDB" as scraper.

Now DVD info is pulled from The MovieDB, and stored separately under Music Videos :-)

Your workaround looks so clever!
So far, I have managed my music videos and DVDs as files itself.
Now maybe I can gather them to one Music Viedeos Library. I will try.

Thank you so much, fellbeast.
Unfortunately since then I've figured that it isn't so nice and clever :-(

The problem is that scraping the music DVDs from TMDB they won't have 'artist' filled in the database, and therefore you won't be able to delete them.

I'm still using this method anyhow...
I too have tried to separate my music-DVDs from movies with the trick shown by fellbeast, but I am told that xmbc can not connect with the remote server when I scrap for info/fanarts. It does not matter wether I use my "fellbeast-defined" scraper or if I use an xbmc-defined scraper (e.g Last.fm). As long as my musicDVDs are defined as MusicVideoFiles I get the same remote server connection error.

The MovieDB-scraper works fine with my movies, and it will find all my MusicDVD-infos if I define my musicDVDs as movies - but that was not the initial idea of it all !!

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Add another wanting to have music concert dvds in music video section.Personally think music (mp3/flac) /single music video and concert dvds should all be in music section under sub headings.(maybe even with ability to separate flac and mp3's) After all its all "music".
Photo 
I took a slightly different approach and modded my Confluence skin in order to achieve separation for my music concerts and movies.

1. from the existing Movies library view tagged each thumb as "Concerts" or "Films"
2. this created the two favourites as below in the favourites.xml file

Code:
        <favourites>
            <favourite name="Film">ActivateWindow(10025,&quot;videodb://movies/tags/1/&quot;,return)</favourite>
            <favourite name="Concerts">ActivateWindow(10025,&quot;videodb://movies/tags/2/&quot;,return)</favourite>
        </favourites>

3. Added two labels "Concerts" and "Films" to home.xml (these appear as separate main screen items)

Code:
        <item id="29">
            <label>CONCERTS</label>
            <onclick>ActivateWindow(10025,&quot;videodb://movies/tags/2/&quot;,return)</onclick>
            <icon>-</icon>
            <thumb>-</thumb>
        </item>
        <item id="35">
            <label>FILMS</label>
            <onclick>ActivateWindow(10025,&quot;videodb://movies/tags/1/&quot;,return)</onclick>
            <icon>-</icon>
            <thumb>-</thumb>
        </item>

4. In the Home screen options check Hide Movies - Library and the Film and Concerts will appear in Library mode separate from all movies

Both this content uses themoviedb as a scraper, so I did spend some time initially creating entries on that site for concerts that were not listed.

Now that it's set up all I need do when adding new Movies or Music Concerts to my collection I just add the Films or Concerts tag to the files.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music DVD's & Movie DVD's - how to seperate?1