[ATV2] Less than Responsive Remote
I've been using XBMC for ATV2 pretty much since it was released but in the past few months I've been hit with a really frustrating issue. The remote can be, at times, almost completely unresponsive. I can't really tell if it is an XMBC issue or a jailbreak issue with seasonpass so I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Basically what happens for me is I plug the ATV2 in after I have jailbroken it and installed XBMC. It will start up but it doesn't do anything when you press a button on the remote, even the light doesn't blink. What I end up having to do is repidly press the button I want and normally after several clicks it will register 1 or 2. If I just leave it sit for a while eventually it starts working normally but then when I play a video in XMBC and if I pause it then it will become unresponsive and I just have to press play for, sometimes, minutes.

I don't think it is a battery issue as even when it's not responsive I can hold the play and menu buttons to get it to reset and I've never had an issue with the remote on my macbook pro.
Good way to test the remote is use a phone camera and point the remote at the lens, press a remote button, an watch the light in the camera screen.

You using the latest ATV2 nightly?
Have to say that I am not a fan of the atv2 remote either. Have paired the onkyo amp remote and it works very well.

If you are still struggling after verifying that the actual remote is ok, pair another remote like I have and see how it goes.

Pairing is in Settings on the main atv2 menu.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

My ATV2 remote works really well. I hardly ever use it though. I have 3 of the same universal remotes that I can program from a PC. And I use a mini BT keyboard. But the ATV remote works better then the universals.
WordMasterRice Wrote:I've been using XBMC for ATV2 pretty much since it was released but in the past few months I've been hit with a really frustrating issue. The remote can be, at times, almost completely unresponsive. I can't really tell if it is an XBMC issue or a jailbreak issue with seasonpass so I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Basically what happens for me is I plug the ATV2 in after I have jailbroken it and installed XBMC. It will start up but it doesn't do anything when you press a button on the remote, even the light doesn't blink. What I end up having to do is repidly press the button I want and normally after several clicks it will register 1 or 2. If I just leave it sit for a while eventually it starts working normally but then when I play a video in XBMC and if I pause it then it will become unresponsive and I just have to press play for, sometimes, minutes.

I don't think it is a battery issue as even when it's not responsive I can hold the play and menu buttons to get it to reset and I've never had an issue with the remote on my macbook pro.

battery ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
So I've been testing it on and off since I posted this. It definitely has nothing to do with the remote or the battery, it's something to do either with the jailbreak or XBMC. It doesn't happen at all when I'm not jailbroken and the only thing that I install is XBMC. I have found that I can reproduce this about 90% of the time simply by watching an MKV video, after it is over the remote is completely unresponsive for about 5 minutes then it slowly starts coming back.

Any other ideas?
watch top and xbmc.log when this happens.
Probably try to restore and rejailbreak. It doesn't sound like an XBMC issue as we would hear about it. The remote is very responsive on mind. Hope you find the issue.
Nothing really out of the ordinary seems to be happening in the log files. When I wake the AppleTV up from sleep everything works great, the second I launch XBMC I lose remote functionality. Oddly though, I can use the Remote.app from my phone, or I can use the XBMC iPhone app and it works fine. If I let it go to sleep and then wake it up again, again the remote works fine until I launch XBMC.

Sounds like I'm SOL until the jailbreak comes out for 4.4 (or whatever the ATV equivalent to iOS5 is.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Less than Responsive Remote0