Best iPhone app for aTV2 XBMC control?
Everybody: Check Soulmote. This App is incredible. Great Interface, check your library when not connected and and and.

It is the best XBMC experience on ipad and iphone (universal app)!!!!!!!
Seems to be a lot more reliable than XBMC Commander too

Majestic Wrote:Everybody: Check Soulmote. This App is incredible. Great Interface, check your library when not connected and and and.

It is the best XBMC experience on ipad and iphone (universal app)!!!!!!!
None of these seem to work too well for me under the latest nightly Oct 19 09:00 (832ca6230c2b). It would be really helpful if folks would post the versions they are using with the remote app they like.

I imagine it's very difficult for the remote app makers to keep up with our awesome nightly developers, especially when there are changes to the database structure.

I'm especially interested to find a remote app that has the ability to filter by watched/unwatched and updates changes quickly. So far, most of them see to start from scratch whenever they update, which with a large library just takes too long to be practical.
ChipsAhoy Wrote:None of these seem to work too well for me under the latest nightly Oct 19 09:00 (832ca6230c2b). It would be really helpful if folks would post the versions they are using with the remote app they like.

I imagine it's very difficult for the remote app makers to keep up with our awesome nightly developers, especially when there are changes to the database structure.

I'm especially interested to find a remote app that has the ability to filter by watched/unwatched and updates changes quickly. So far, most of them see to start from scratch whenever they update, which with a large library just takes too long to be practical.

I have never had Soulmote or Constellation successfully working on my ipad with any ATV2 nightlies

However my official XBMC remote for Android has always worked like a charm.... :-)

(edit: I should note that I use a central MySQL database so its likely that both of these clients don't fully implement JSON interface)
Just so you all know, ive pretty much tested every remote(free and paid) with the newest nightlies and ios5 (on the iphone not atv). The only remote that works as expected is "XBMC Remote" by Collect3. Im using a mysql db as well. Its strange as i didnt expect it to work at all s the publish date of the app is 30/9/2010. Version 1.7.8 at the moment. Works flawlessly, highly recommend it.
You are wrong: Soulmote also works on your described preferences on ipad and iphone on IOS 5. And it is much nicer than XBMC Remote!!!
hi, from my side i tried many applications that control the XBMC from iphone, some of them have some controles that i cannot find in the others,
but the one that i prefer, and that i recomand too is XBMC remote
Here are the results for me, when running build 71 (Oct 18 09:00 78fbef8eab88cf1727e496bcdf29b49fc54014ab).

Synology NAS with mySQL db, about 4TB of data (~1000 movies, ~~150 shows,~6000 episodes)
ATV2 running firmware 4.2.2 (2203)

Tested on both iPhone 4s running iOS 5 and iPad 2 running iOS 4.3.5

Where possible, I allocated the maximum amount of cache space for the remote app

XBMC Constellation: The best for me currently with the nightlies. It loads and displays both movies and tv properly. Extensive search, sort and filtering options, including filtering for watched/unwatched on the iPad. For some reason, the filter button is missing in TV on the iPhone, but it is there in movies. Nice GUI, good metadata display. Good remote control. File mode also works well.
Unfortunately, it takes a very long time to initialize (over a minute). If the syncing was fast, this would be the hands down winner. The author is clearly active and tries to keep current with the nightlies, so I have high hopes for this one.

XBMC Remote: VERY impressive performance! Useable in seconds, even on the first run. Nice clean GUI. Excellent for the wife and kids. Displays TV banners and episode names. Displays movie cover and synopsis. Unfortunately, it's too bare-boned feature-wise for me: no filtering or search at all. However, I've got to hand it to the author. No updates in a year, and it still works perfectly with the nighties! On the other hand, it hasn't been updated in a year...

XBMC Commander: This was my favorite, back when it worked with the nightlies (a long time ago). For now, it just crashes on selecting TV or Movies.

Soulmote: Loads TV shows, but not movies. Selecting a TV show doesn't display ANY data. File Mode (Video Sources) works fine (including movies). Title Search and Genre filters work well. Remote controls work, but that's about it. Doesn't include the ability to filter to unwatched only, which is a high priority for me. No ability to edit the dashboard, not wild about the appearance.
dazex Wrote:Another vote for Rowmote. I think the best thing about it and what makes it unique among the other remotes is the ability to see what is being displayed onscreen.

For example, sometimes I park the kids in front of their favorite educational video while I try to get some work done upstairs. I can use Rowmote to navigate the ATV2 GUI remotely, seeing what's happening on screen. Caveat is, if a movie is playing...the video is not going to be smooth. But outside of a playing movie, it works really well.

Also, you can call up the keyboard to quickly do text input. The Apple Remote app can't be used to input text within XBMC. Because there's no way that I know of to bring up the keyboard.

Oops...I was mistaken in the name of the app I was describing. It's actually call Remote HD, not Rowmote.
ChipsAhoy Wrote:XBMC Constellation: The best for me currently with the nightlies. It loads and displays both movies and tv properly. Extensive search, sort and filtering options, including filtering for watched/unwatched on the iPad. For some reason, the filter button is missing in TV on the iPhone, but it is there in movies. Nice GUI, good metadata display. Good remote control. File mode also works well.
Unfortunately, it takes a very long time to initialize (over a minute). If the syncing was fast, this would be the hands down winner. The author is clearly active and tries to keep current with the nightlies, so I have high hopes for this one.

Thanks for the tip,

Just tried it on my iPhone and it's working great (couldn't get it to work for some reason earlier). Looks unbelievable on the iPad too! bought the pro version on both iPhone and iPad. haven't got a library as big as urs (yet) so has no problems loading. Layout on the iPad version is genius!
^^ Exactly my thoughts ....^^

Anyway, back on topic...choice of 2 for me.

XBMC Commander on my ipod touch.

I'm awaiting Constellation for Android so I can use that on my Sony Tablet, although I can use the BUILT IN IR remote on my Sony fondle-slab, which works great for ATV, Sky HD box, TV, Surround Sound etc Smile
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
With the latest update, XBMC Commander is working again. It's a very simple interface which is perfect for the less technically inclined, and it suits the iPhone very well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best iPhone app for aTV2 XBMC control?0