What's the dumbest thing you've done re: XBMC?
I'll go first! Blush

1st mistake...not having a backup of my movie library....

2nd mistake...removing a 1.5TB HD while it is getting warranty replacement.

3rd mistake...rebooting the OS and NOT realizing that a few of my drive letters had changed as a result of #2 mistake.

4th mistake...cleaning the library and losing over 800 movie entries in my library as a combined result of #1,2 & 3. D'OH D'OH D'OH D'OH D'OH D'OH

Anyways, rescanning now and let me see...what should I do first as soon as this is done? Maybe make a backup of the library? Eek

OK, now your turn. Feel free to mock me...I deserve it!
Trying OpenElec and thinking it was worth a crap.
Rainbow 
clipper99 Wrote:1st mistake...not having a backup of my movie library....

4th mistake...cleaning the library and losing over 800 movie entries in my library as a combined result of #1,2 & 3. D'OH D'OH D'OH D'OH D'OH D'OH

+1

* Searched for an answer to a question I had about XBMC, didn't find it... posted the question on the forums... Searched again... Found the answer. :p
...DJVege...
HTPC: G840 + GT430 + 2GB RAM + 30GB SSD
Remote: iPad/iPhone + iRule + USB-UIRT // FireFly RF Remote
Software: XBMC Eden + Eventghost + Win7
FishOil Wrote:Trying OpenElec and thinking it was worth a crap.

(PEBKAC on that one. Openelec is great).

Yep cleaning a large library when not remembering a Drobo with 12TB of data was switched off ... now I have daily automated MySQL backups to prevent this from being such a big issue, and have since restored several times due to network errors etc.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
clipper99 Wrote:I'll go first! Blush

1st mistake...not having a backup of my movie library....

2nd mistake...removing a 1.5TB HD while it is getting warranty replacement.

3rd mistake...rebooting the OS and NOT realizing that a few of my drive letters had changed as a result of #2 mistake.

Anyways, rescanning now and let me see...what should I do first as soon as this is done? Maybe make a backup of the library? Eek

OK, now your turn. Feel free to mock me...I deserve it!

Yep I done that, but learnt from it below is my fstab file from linux. I now use UUID instead of sda etc.
Quote:# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=97661ee6-545b-455e-847c-e3cdf691582a / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=4035aba6-d184-42b0-97e3-44d7dbcfeed6 none swap sw 0 0

UUID=bc2710b4-9450-45a0-91e9-c852a5059fc4 /media/2ndHardDrive ext4 defaults 0 0
UUID=96eeac45-fd46-4f5c-8105-e6376e20483a /media/3rdHardDrive ext4 defaults 0 0
UUID=06237927-5ec4-40fa-8228-3370375ea240 /media/4thHardDrive ext4 defaults 0 0
UUID=ec8b1057-da01-4793-a017-0440584ecbfe /media/5thHardDrive ext4 defaults 0 0
Noli illegitimi carborundum

Cleaning the library without ensuring all network drives are available is really my dumb mistake too.

Quote:Originally Posted by FishOil
Trying OpenElec and thinking it was worth a crap.

This is not true in my case. OpenElec is great, I'm using it without any issue, it is very fast and responsive, and you will have a great support whenever you need in its official website, Well done guys Smile
kim1406 Wrote:This is not true in my case. OpenElec is great, I'm using it without any issue, it is very fast and responsive, and you will have a great support whenever you need in its official website, Well done guys Smile

Agree with you 100%, except for the support part Big Grin
Hardware: Revo 3610 + SSD - Harmony 700 Remote
Software: XBMCBuntu Gotham - Sickbeard - SabNZBd+

bossanova808 Wrote:(PEBKAC on that one. Openelec is great).

LOL........ yup that must be it......It might be good for people that dont have a clue...nonetheless I will let you think what you want. Laugh
Opening and actually reading this thread. Wink
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Using a Dharma installer on top of an Eden install. Surprisingly, most things still worked, but there was a LOT of weirdness with the library. Luckily it was just a quick restore from my WHS box. Of course, it failed to solve the issue I was trying to solve in the first place. Even with the restore, I ended up completely wiping my XBMC install, rebuilding the libraries, and exporting everything so I have a good backup every night.
FishOil Wrote:LOL........ yup that must be it......It might be good for people that dont have a clue...nonetheless I will let you think what you want. Laugh

Don't have a clue about what, exactly? No need to be rude.

It might not be right for you, but sruae was invited as a dev based on the Openelec strengths and you can see plenty of things now flowing back into xbmc from openelec. It's super easy to install, fast, clean, and perfect for beginners wanting a set top box experience. It's got lots of fixes in it that Live doesn't have and a built in auto update system that is vastly better than anything else in terms of the non-full-system based installs.

The dev process should probably be cleaned up in terms of release cycle etc but given it's such as small team that's forgivable.

So - no need to be rude about it, eh? Feel free to not like it, but 'it's not worth a crap' is just wrong.
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
bossanova808 Wrote:No need to be rude.

You have some nerve telling me not to be rude. Do you read what you post before hitting the submit button? "PEBKAC" ? Thats not rude? Ha.

Granted its been many months since I tried it. Maybe the creator has since seen the error of their ways. It was almost worthless and a pain in the ass to modify it in the version I tried. Its billed as minimal....Well....its even less than that. Too much time required to get it up to speed.

But like I said. That was awhile ago. Maybe its better. YMMV
vdrfan Wrote:Opening and actually reading this thread. Wink

+1
FishOil Wrote:You have some nerve telling me not to be rude. Do you read what you post before hitting the submit button? "PEBKAC" ? Thats not rude? Ha.

Granted its been many months since I tried it. Maybe the creator has since seen the error of their ways. It was almost worthless and a pain in the ass to modify it in the version I tried. Its billed as minimal....Well....its even less than that. Too much time required to get it up to speed.

But like I said. That was awhile ago. Maybe its better. YMMV

Well, you DID start it with the 'thinking it was worth a crap' comment. Like I said, it might not be for you, but it's not crap. It's good enough it got the XBMC devs to invite the team onboard and they've talked publicly about XBMC Appliance etc. which is based on the openelec idea/implementation as far as I understand it. So if you kick something off by being rude, don't expect a super polite response.

But I apologise anyway, should have been more diplomatic, it was just an off the cuff response and you're right. Eye for an eye and we all go blind and all that.

Anyway, you should try it again if you can be bothered. - takes literally 20 seconds to install if that. Crazy easy (well, the unetbootbin process of making the USb key which is pretty standard for this sort of thing takes maybe a minute too). And from them on it's so simple it's amazing - e.g. I didn't even notice my boxes updating to RC7 with a whole hsot of fixes plus several backports from Eden, it was totally seamless. Definitely NOT the case with Live etc. But it's also not made for very heavy customisation - most add ons/skins etc work fine, but there are some limitations you swap for the easy of updates, crazy quick boot speed etc, that's true.
Not paying attention to Openelec and overwritting my whole drive thus wiping out 300 or so GB's of movies...

Not paying attention and installing Dharma rather than a nightly version thus borking my database and having to rescan like 5 TB's of videos...I do this all the time

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What's the dumbest thing you've done re: XBMC?0