Zotac ion-itx-t experiences?
Hello,

I am planning on building a cheap htpc based on the Zotac ion-itx-t. I will be running linux on this box, so I am wondering if anyone else has done this and has some experiences to share? Is all the hardware supported etc. It is quite strange that there is no info on this seemingly very interesting mobo..

It seems very similar to the asus AT5IONT-I deluxe, but slightly cheaper. Is there anything to be said in general on Zotac versus Asus in terms of quality, support and linux-friendlyness?

Thanks
I'm planning another htpc shortly as well. All the ions work great on Linux, HOWEVER, that platform is getting a bit long in the tooth.

I'm steering more towards an I3 ish CPU + GT 430 solution myself. Higher pricepoint, but potential for HD bitstreaming and better overall performance.

In short better to buy new tech versus 18-24 month old tech if price not main factor.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
thethirdnut Wrote:I'm planning another htpc shortly as well. All the ions work great on Linux, HOWEVER, that platform is getting a bit long in the tooth.

I'm steering more towards an I3 ish CPU + GT 430 solution myself. Higher pricepoint, but potential for HD bitstreaming and better overall performance.

In short better to buy new tech versus 18-24 month old tech if price not main factor.

I did not know that these boards were that old..They are both ION-2. One of my top priorities is low power consumption as this computer will be on 24/7, so I think it would be better to stick to atom. Or can I achieve equally low power consumption with celeron or i3 for example?
klas Wrote:I did not know that these boards were that old..They are both ION-2. One of my top priorities is low power consumption as this computer will be on 24/7, so I think it would be better to stick to atom. Or can I achieve equally low power consumption with celeron or i3 for example?

If it's uber low power consumption you want then you have 2 options

1 - Fusion - E350

2 - ION1 or 2 based

I chose 2 as it's more linux friendly
Clarksdale and Sandy Bridge idle power are quite low as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sand...831-7.html

More than atom, but much more powerful.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
I just installed xbmc live on this board.

Performance is very respectable. Video quality (HDMI) is stunning. I had to fiddle with HDMI audio like everyone else it seems.

I installed firefox and a couple of other apps logged in as the xbmcbuntu user and found the performance to be better than I expected (nice job by the xbmc team integrating the user login).

I'm using an RF wireless KB & mouse (logitech) and SSD disk. The wireless fired up without a problem.

Overall, an incredible value for a complete motherboard.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac ion-itx-t experiences?0