Thunderbolt iMacs + HDMI adapter and HD Audio
Are the new thunderbolt iMacs accompanied by an HDMI adapter capable of bitstreaming HD audio (TrueHD, and DTS-MA)? I see from the mac mini thread the new minis are capable of this. I was wondering if this applied to the other thunderbolt equipped computers in conjunction with an HDMI adapter. Thanks.
Yes I recently just got the MBP with the Thunderbolt and I'm currently using a Mini-Display Port to HDMI cable. Plugs right into the Thunderbolt port and plays sound Smile
G-Force Wrote:Are the new thunderbolt iMacs accompanied by an HDMI adapter capable of bitstreaming HD audio (TrueHD, and DTS-MA)? I see from the mac mini thread the new minis are capable of this. I was wondering if this applied to the other thunderbolt equipped computers in conjunction with an HDMI adapter. Thanks.

hello, i have also new apple with same outputs (iMac)
the secret is to have AMD card, if You don't , You can still use audio output but as PCM via HDMI.
i run windows 7 on IMac and finely the sound drivers for windows are showing support for dolbyHD and DTS MASTER, so i first tryed BOXEE for Win 7 , and it works !!!
it pass-true any HD sound to my MARANTZ sound system with no problem,
XBMC have a special build with also have settings for HD sound to switch them on like in Boxee , so all You need to do its google it. if not send me e-mail i will zip it and sent it to You.
also : about mini hdmi to hdmi on imac , i did buy like 5 kinds from B&H- they all the same , so buy the cheapest one.
mac -LION, SNOW still don't support HD sound pass true. but You can use extremely high bit rate output in settings , but its not direct DOLBY HD or DTS MASTER HD out

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thunderbolt iMacs + HDMI adapter and HD Audio0