Zotac Zbox Nano VD01
Zotac Zbox Nano VD01 is a new interesting HTPC from Zotac.

Anyone know how it works with XBMC Live in regards to 1080p?
I'd be concerned that the VIA Chrome9™ HCM GPU wouldn't support hardware acceleration in XBMC Live (or even in Windows). Without hardware acceleration the VD01 is not going to play 1080p.

JR
People in the hardware forum already have it and have XBMC running on it. Plays 1080 just fine. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109179
Ned Scott Wrote:People in the hardware forum already have it and have XBMC running on it. Plays 1080 just fine. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109179

the nano VD01 (V = based on VIA chipsets/gpu) will not work (at least under linux) because of lacking proper drivers (gpu and hardware decoding), the nano AD10 (A = based on AMD/ATI chipsets/gpu) works actually (with some small issues).
greetings, Stephan

Ned Scott Wrote:People in the hardware forum already have it and have XBMC running on it. Plays 1080 just fine. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109179

Isn't that the AD01 not the VD01?

JR
Well actually I currently have XBMC running on Zotac VD01 , yes with the VIA NANO X2 CPU and VX900h chipset.
Zotac has drivers for the VIA VX900h graphic chipset. They include DRI2 and OpenGL 1.4 and XVideo and VDPAU for hardware accelerated via decoding; as well as HDMI audio.
Installation was not so trivial, especially HDMI audio part.
I am using Ubuntu 11.10 with some 12.04 pieces.
XBMC interface runs very smooth.
Video playback without acceleration works fine but gets choppy around 720p. Still watchable.
Hardware acceleration through VDPAU doesn't work with eden. It seems an issue with colourspace conversion or GL texture. However, using the VAAPI->VDPAU wrapper and enabling VAAPI acceleration, hardware accelerated decoding is working. Not at 720p and higher resolutions yet. I'm investigating why. VLC is able to use hardware accelerated VAAPI h264 1080p decoding with less thatn 50% CPU usage so it must be possible to get that working.

The hardware accelerated decoding abilities of this chipset are simply great. It supports even more than intel/nvidia/amd !
vainfo
libva: VA-API version 0.33.0
libva: User requested driver 'vdpau'
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/vdpau_drv_video.so
libva: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_33
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.33 (libva 1.1.0.pre1)
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems VDPAU backend for VA-API - 0.7.4.pre1
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG4Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG4AdvancedSimple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264Baseline : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD

Given the low price of this box (the cheapest of all zotacs) it's a very intesting option.
Quote:Hardware acceleration through VDPAU doesn't work with eden.

This is because VIA has not implemented an API function we currently have in use. I also have tried my redesigned version of vdpau but it crashes on a different API call.
I was in contact with VIA but they don't seem to be very interested in fixing this. They not even provide drivers for recent Linux kernels.

My VD01 sits on the shelf with a little dust on it waiting for VIA to continue work. In this state I won't consider it an option.
What function is that ?

Biggest problem is that they provide only a closed source VDPAU driver.
I am also in contact with VIA. I even submitted bugfixes for their drivers (the parts that have source code) but they just stay silent.

There are drivers for Ubuntu 12.04 now.. but libvdpau is still the one from 11.10

Quote:What function is that ?

vdp_presentation_queue_block_until_surface_idle
I don't use this function anymore. The problem is that it crashes somewhere else and they have not implemented vdpau-opengl-interop.

Quote:Biggest problem is that they provide only a closed source VDPAU driver.

So does NVidia but their implementation does not crash.

Quote:but they just stay silent
That's also my experience. They told me they are busy with a new chip design.
(2012-07-26, 13:17)zeratul Wrote: Well actually I currently have XBMC running on Zotac VD01 , yes with the VIA NANO X2 CPU and VX900h chipset.
Zotac has drivers for the VIA VX900h graphic chipset. They include DRI2 and OpenGL 1.4 and XVideo and VDPAU for hardware accelerated via decoding; as well as HDMI audio.
Installation was not so trivial, especially HDMI audio part.
I am using Ubuntu 11.10 with some 12.04 pieces.
XBMC interface runs very smooth.
Video playback without acceleration works fine but gets choppy around 720p. Still watchable.
Hardware acceleration through VDPAU doesn't work with eden. It seems an issue with colourspace conversion or GL texture. However, using the VAAPI->VDPAU wrapper and enabling VAAPI acceleration, hardware accelerated decoding is working. Not at 720p and higher resolutions yet. I'm investigating why. VLC is able to use hardware accelerated VAAPI h264 1080p decoding with less thatn 50% CPU usage so it must be possible to get that working.

The hardware accelerated decoding abilities of this chipset are simply great. It supports even more than intel/nvidia/amd !
vainfo
libva: VA-API version 0.33.0
libva: User requested driver 'vdpau'
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/vdpau_drv_video.so
libva: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_33
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.33 (libva 1.1.0.pre1)
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems VDPAU backend for VA-API - 0.7.4.pre1
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG4Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG4AdvancedSimple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264Baseline : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD

Given the low price of this box (the cheapest of all zotacs) it's a very intesting option.

Can you please let me know what kernel version are you running?
I would appreciate if you gave me your xorg.conf as I'm unable to make this beast work for a few months already.

Thanks,
any news/progress on getting hardware accelateration on the vd01?
I would be really happy if someone have a solution with gfx driver..
I guess next time we should think before buying Smile
VIA is crap when it comes to open source.

I managed to make it work in mplayer; xbmc is still unable to do HW decoding..
Even tried using a Crystal HD decoder installed instead of the wireless card: it also sucks - doesn't give me more than 13-15 fps on 1080p.
Can you try this version: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996

Via's vdpau implementation lacks a function currently used by xmbc. THe version I mentioned uses vdpau opengl interoperation. Last time I tried, I guess more than a year ago, it crashed somewhere in the via driver. Maybe this is fixed with driver released last November.
Hello Anyone got a how to on this and what dist will it ever work? I have 2 of thees.. I only want them to be audio streamers.. (Zonos)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac Zbox Nano VD010