What are the best Nvidia settings for proper 23.976 playback?
So, I've just started tinkering around with this new setup;

Intel i3-2100
Nvidia 520 GT
Patriot 32GB SSD
4GB RAM

Running Dharma 10.1 and Windows 7 64.

I found a review of a GT 430 that recommended setting the desktop frame rate to 1080p/23 as that apparently locks in 23.976 frame rate and exposes it to media players like XBMC.

I see what I think are a few frame drops during playback (I see the frame rate on codecinfo fluttering around between 24.00 and another number) that I was not seeing with a lower powered AMD setup that I was testing earlier last week. The "dropped frames" count however does not seem to move.. it started out around 26 and has stayed there. CPU usage is minimal, only using about 5% CPU during movie playback, the machine is not even sweating.

What are the best settings to use for Nvidia + XBMC under Windows to get rock solid 23.976 playback without any judder? Should I have hardware acceleration turned off or on?

My display does an excellent job with 1080p/24 and I don't see any frame drops, etc, with my Boxee for example.
//correction

I see that in the few minutes I was typing this post, that the frame drop count jumped from 26 to 30, so I suspect I am seeing the 1 frame drop every 40 or so seconds, which would be consistent more or less with the 1080p/24 output problem, so maybe with my display set to 1080p/23 it is not truly locked up right to 23.976 output. However, it's worth pointing out that I am streaming Avatar over gigabit wired ethernet and the bitrate can peak out over 35 mbps and I don't think the frame drops are happening because of the bit rate.
Okay I "might" have sorted this. I built a new resolution in the Nvidia control panel of 1080P and 23.976 and set the tv to that. I turned off video acceleration in XBMC.

So far in 10 minutes of playback of Avatar full BD MKV no frame drop increase.
Then you might as well return the GT520
Ack. Still dropping a frame here or there. Any advice welcome.
Okay. So I think I might have this mostly licked but still need some help. I know it's Sunday and I am talking to myself, but here it goes.

With video acceleration turned on, desktop resolution set to 1080P/23.976 (custom resolution) and XBMC video settings set;

Adjust display refresh rate to match video ON
Sync playback to display OFF

It is working great from what I can see with my 1080P content.

So, now the remaining issue. I see that it is setting the refresh to 23.978 for all content, even my 30 fps stuff. How can I get it to actually set the right sync speed for those videos?
Cant reproduce your problem,its running fine here with these settings https://picasaweb.google.com/deus.ex.74/...0416077714 which i think are default.
It switches to 24p(for 23.976/24),50hz,60hz regardless without framedrops.
To set a fixed resolution is the wrong way in my opinion if you have 24,25,30 material.Maybe the problem is the output device?
Nvidia cards are unable to get fully perfect 23.976 fps, due to some kind of bug Nvidia never finished to fix (long story), but u can google it. To get the perfect play, u must use third part softwares like "reclock", that will acelerate ur bluray material (23.976), to 24 fps. This is very known already, and it surprises me nobody told u anything about by this time on the forum. There must be lot of info about configuring a perfect view in google about it.
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V
vicmanpergar Wrote:Nvidia cards are unable to get fully perfect 23.976 fps, due to some kind of bug Nvidia never finished to fix (long story), but u can google it. To get the perfect play, u must use third part softwares like "reclock", that will acelerate ur bluray material (23.976), to 24 fps. This is very known already, and it surprises me nobody told u anything about by this time on the forum. There must be lot of info about configuring a perfect view in google about it.

I appreciate the info. What I am seeing is jiving with what you are saying. Even with a 23.976 manual resolution I seem to either drop or duplicate a frame about every 15-20 minutes. There could also be interactions here with my Yamaha AVR or Panasonic that make this more difficult to solve. What's bizarre is that I did not see the problem at all with the ATI Fusion platform.

I now have the desktop set to 1080p/60 and using a custom resolution of 23.976 it's working fairly well, but dropping here and there. It is curious to me that my 29.97 content (SD TV stuff) is not getting output at 30 or 60 but also at 23.976, I suspect that the Nvidia driver does not include a 480/29.97 resolution.
i'm about to go buy an AMD card and be done with it. this gt430 has been more of a pain than its worth and its still causing problems.

best I got is custom resolution of with refresh 23.979 and 1124 instead of 1125. thats decent and about as close to 23.976 as you can get, it specs out as like 23.97543.

i don't know why you are seeing dropped frames, I don't seem to get any dropped frames. although half the time at the bottom it says missed and just keeps increasing.

you should be syncing playback to the display with one of the settings, otherwise things can get out of sync.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What are the best Nvidia settings for proper 23.976 playback?0