is it quicker to boot from an SD card?
i just picked up an Asus HTPC which includes a 320GB HD and windows 7. I'm wondering if it'd be quicker to load XBMC on to an SD drive, and set the system to default to boot from the SD drive.

any experience with this? TIA.
stadtjunge Wrote:i just picked up an Asus HTPC which includes a 320GB HD and windows 7. I'm wondering if it'd be quicker to load XBMC on to an SD drive, and set the system to default to boot from the SD drive.

any experience with this? TIA.

IMO from 1st hand experience generally slower. YMMV
i guess I could always try both ways.

i understand that booting from an SSD is significantly quicker, does anybody have figures for how much quicker? also, if it boots XBMC directly off the SSD, and doesn't have to boot Win7, then XBMC as an application, i would imagine it'd be much quicker.
SSD's will always be recommended by me,,
even the cheapest one will run faster then any sd card,,,
there was a good deal on the patriot torqx2,,,
$34,99 after MIR,,,
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...kwCjCECjCE
Oh, I assumed you meant SD card, not SSD.

In terms of speed, I cut a minute off my boot times on my desktop computer, Win7 x64. If you're talking staying with Win7, then a SSD will be quicker for sure. XBMC Live or OpenELEC i can't really vouch for.

If you don't need Windows though, I know I'm booting OpenELEC off a USB thumbdrive in about 18 seconds. I'm not sure if I would invest in a SSD to improve that.

In my "tests" with and without a SSD in the same computer, a SSD based machine was generally quicker on a number of fronts. Boot times, menu responsiveness, etc. Movies/Audio won't really play any better...

I've got three HTPCs in my house. The snappiest of the three is the OpenELEC build running off the USB thumbdrive. It's also one of the slowest in terms of power (Atom/ION 1.6G dual core). Next is my main machine running Win7 (Quad Core w/ 8G of memory) off a SSD, third is another Atom/ION running off a 2.5" laptop drive (for now).
stadtjunge Wrote:i guess I could always try both ways.

i understand that booting from an SSD is significantly quicker, does anybody have figures for how much quicker? also, if it boots XBMC directly off the SSD, and doesn't have to boot Win7, then XBMC as an application, i would imagine it'd be much quicker.

Nothing changes with respect to the OS or whats loaded when you change from an HDD, to an SD card, to an SSD.

Also SD cards are slow. SSD's are fast. These are different things just in case your confused.
Kirky99 Wrote:In my "tests" with and without a SSD in the same computer, a SSD based machine was generally quicker on a number of fronts. Boot times, menu responsiveness, etc. Movies/Audio won't really play any better...

SSDs have WAY better controllers, and often better memory.

haha. i want this:

XBMC + USENET + sabnzbd + sickbeard +couchpotato = Really Happy wife

she's tired of me trying to get this thing up and running.
Then a SSD really helps. When the power goes off for a second in my neighborhood (and slams my XBMC box off) the faster it can boot back to Desperate Housewives the better.

Also don't forget the Harmony. That is a WAF centerpiece.

poofyhairguy Wrote:Also don't forget the Harmony. That is a WAF centerpiece.

got the Harmony 1100 - check. major WAF.

i'd do the SSD.... i just want to make sure that I can get the rest of the issues i'm having addressed first;
• Screen Resolution/Screen Size
• Setting up the network – none of the devices are communicating with eachother (including NAS)
• Setting up the media download software suites
• Getting the iPad app to communicate with the XBMC software

i really wish there was a local individual that would be willing to help me with this. I couldn't imagine the geek squad would have a clue.

why does your power shut off? do you have a decent power conditioner or UPS?
stadtjunge Wrote:• Screen Resolution/Screen Size

Install the default Nvidia driver from Nvidia's website for ION2. That should help.

Quote:• Setting up the network – none of the devices are communicating with eachother (including NAS)

Use SMB for EVERYTHING.

Quote:• Setting up the media download software suites

My sig shows the Linux way. Windows is even easier. Just skip all the hard install steps.

Quote:• Getting the iPad app to communicate with the XBMC software

XBMC Remote works well for me.

Quote:I couldn't imagine the geek squad would have a clue.

Not a prayer.

Quote:why does your power shut off? do you have a decent power conditioner or UPS?

The area I live in has a terrible grid. I have a line conditioner for my equipment and a UPS for my media servers. I can't justify a UPS for my other systems.

poofyhairguy Wrote:Use SMB for EVERYTHING.

forgive my ignorance, whats SMB?

poofyhairguy Wrote:Install the default Nvidia driver from Nvidia's website for ION2. That should help.

i'll try that. it's probably just a stupid setting.
SMB is Windows file sharing. More info:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Win...SAMBA/CIFS)

poofyhairguy Wrote:The area I live in has a terrible grid. I have a line conditioner for my equipment and a UPS for my media servers. I can't justify a UPS for my other systems.

Current deal on a UPS: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1131122
Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
is it quicker to boot from an SD card?0