My first HTPC, is this going to work?
Hello!

First off, I want to thank all the people on this forum for contributing their knowledge and opinions on the matter. There is much to be learned from these threads!

Anywho, here is what I'm looking to build (the parts I have chosen will follow):
-Run XBMC and W7
-Play HD video files (720p-1080p of variable encoding quality)
-Read Blu-ray discs

I will not be watching 3D movies (not my thing) and no gaming either. I already own a wireless card that I could re-use.

I am open to all suggestions concerning prices and hardware. I want to find the best value and not necessarily build a beast.

Case: Apex MI-100

Processor: At first, I thought an i3 would do fine (without a GPU) but I've read that the G530 could be very good and cheap as well. I'm just not sure if I need a GPU with it. Here are the ones I considered:

Intel Core i3-2100

Intel Core i3-550

Intel Celeron G530

HDD: WD Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB

Blu-ray drive: SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM SH-B123L

MB: GIGABYTE GA-H61N-USB3 LGA 1155

RAM: CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR3

SSD: Patriot PT232GS25SSDR Torqx 2 32GB

That's pretty much it!

Thanks!
Hate to beat the drum, but HD over wireless isn't advisable... It works in theory, but fails miserably in practice.

For Win7 (and taking into account current memory prices, I would go for 4G. You probably don't need it, but might like it. Also, that SSD will work with a Win7 install, but you may be pretty short on space once setup is complete. The price is right on that drive right now though.
i'm recommending these 4g of ram- Crucial Ballistix sport 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 . i'm not a fan of igpu. i'm recommending one of these gpu- Sapphire Radeon HD6450 1GB DDR3 or EVGA nVidia GeForce GT430 1GB DDR3 . if you're planning for network streaming, i'm recommending this- NETGEAR XAVB5001 Powerline AV 500 Adapter Kit. you might have better luck streaming 1080p than wireless card. for what you need it for, the g530 should be fine.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Oh sorry, I should have specified; I won't be streaming at all. I'll send my files from my normal workstation to the HTPC either by wifi or Ethernet via the local network.

According to this thread, I think I should be ok for a W7 64bit install in relation to the amount of space required.

Then again, maybe you know something I don't. What are the factors that weigh-in on the SSD size issue?
My install is probably a little bloated, however, I'm running with about 21G free (out of 60G) on a Win7 x64 install. I have XBMC, Kylo, Hulu Desktop, Team Mediaportal TV Server, and a few other "RIPPING" type softwares on there to support that machine as media workstation more than a HTPC.

So, as I said, I'm bloated, but still way over 30G...

Opps, found a few temp files that I whacked to the order of about 11G... Again, you're possibly close to the 30G you'll have. You'll be best served spending time to keep as much as you can on the network, like your fanart cache, etc.
dlord Wrote:Oh sorry, I should have specified; I won't be streaming at all. I'll send my files from my normal workstation to the HTPC either by wifi or Ethernet via the local network.

According to this thread, I think I should be ok for a W7 64bit install in relation to the amount of space required.

Then again, maybe you know something I don't. What are the factors that weigh-in on the SSD size issue?
without saving any bd file in local drive, 32g is plenty for w7+xbmc. i have 30g in my htpc, and i still have plenty of space to spare. if you plan to transfer bd file to htpc before watching it, i'm recommend install one of this on htpc- Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 500 GB USB 3.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive STAA500105 . it is very portable (it run on usb power), and the usb 3.0 is very fast drive. with this $60 drive, you'll have plenty of extra space to save file. it's as good as local drive!
Kirky99 Wrote:Also, that SSD will work with a Win7 install, but you may be pretty short on space once setup is complete. The price is right on that drive right now though.

actually, not really,,, i have a 32GB SSD and i currently have 16GB free Smile
and thats after Win7 x64 Ultimate install + all my needed apps!
just follow my thread on how to optimize your SSD...
Concerning the GPU, what am I looking at here? Should I or shouldn't I?
i would
dlord Wrote:Concerning the GPU, what am I looking at here? Should I or shouldn't I?
for smoother playback experience, i would get a gpu as i suggested here- post #3
Everything should theoretically fit?
yes, it'll fit,,,
stock INTEL cooler fits tight,
but fits under the PSU inside the APEX case,,,
just add a side 120mm FAN like shown in this pic
That's very nice, thank you!
your welcome

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first HTPC, is this going to work?0