Win 7 libraries vs XBMC multipath source
I know this is a little of topic in that it's clearly a windows question and not an XBMC question. But, it's XBMC that has ruined my opinion of Win 7 and I'm hoping someone here has seen and found a work around.

If I have my media in multiple folders on my NAS and I create a multipath source in XBMC I will see the contents of all folders with any matching directory structure collapsed. So, if I have:

directory struture
\\server\new tv\show 1
\\server\new tv\show 2
\\server\watched tv\show 1
\\server\watched tv\show 2
\\server\archived tv\show 1
\\server\archived tv\show 2

share: TV
\\server\new tv
\\server\watched tv
\\server\archived tv

I'll see this when I select the share TV
Show 1
Show 2

and if I select one of these I will see the seasons across all three directories.

GREAT!

If I try to do the same thing in Win 7 and then select the LIBRARY called TV I still see three directories.

Is there a way to get Win 7 to collapse the matching directory structure within a library? Or, as I suspect, XBMC rocks & Win 7 continues to blow.

Thanks in advance and again I'm sorry for being off topic.
Richard.
If you are seeing directories are you sure you are viewing in library mode? Apart from the path in the media info screen the library doesn't show the directory.

EDIT: Sorry - got confused between XBMC library and Win7 Libraries
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
rocketpants Wrote:If you are seeing directories are you sure you are viewing in library mode? Apart from the path in the media info screen the library doesn't show the directory.

I'm positive. Here's a screen shot

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16279671/library...howing.jpg
rcrh Wrote:I'm positive. Here's a screen shot

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16279671/library...howing.jpg
This might be something in the way you have added folders, etc to your Win7 library. That or in the options you have set for the display of your library files.

What have you done to try change the way Win7 displays the folders/files in your Win7 library? For help setting your Win7 library Tweak Guides Tweaking Companion is the best all around Windows guide I have ever found. Just google 'tgtc'
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
outatouch0 Wrote:This might be something in the way you have added folders, etc to your Win7 library. That or in the options you have set for the display of your library files.

What have you done to try change the way Win7 displays the folders/files in your Win7 library? For help setting your Win7 library Tweak Guides Tweaking Companion is the best all around Windows guide I have ever found. Just google 'tgtc'

I don't think so (but I'm really not sure).
1) I tried every combination of view options and couldn't get Win 7 to combined the matching folders in my library.
2) I went to the system provided library called DOCUMENTS and added a folder to each of the folders included there. When I went back to the library it looked like this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16279671/library...UMENTS.jpg

Each folder in the source directories shows in the library.

I just don't think the library view is a usefully as MS thinks. It will collapse the contents of the folders down but in my case I have many many matched pairs (for each show) & I don't want ALL of the contains combined into one heap.

I also looked at the guide you referenced it was no help on this issue.

Any other thoughts? Do you have a library with the same structure below each of the folders referenced by the library? Can you show me a screen shot?

Thanks again.
I do not have the same folder setup as you but I do like the idea.
I think the problem is you have added the FOLDER to the library instead of all FILES within these folders. Can you somehow bring them all down a level?
If you add a folder to a library it will be displayed. If you add files within separate folders they will all display alphabetically in your windows library.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
I can't do that. Think about the the structure I want for XBMC: it's Show\Season\Episode.

So, my files are still two levels below what I've shown. Getting rid of the other levels would make things a mess.

Maybe someone else will pick this up and point me towards a solution.

thanks.
Well, your win7 library is a totally different thing from xbmc library. XBMC 'library' is simply a view mode.
XBMC library view mode is dependent upon successful scraping and/or manually creating .nfo files.
I can see where the term 'library' can lead someone to think they are the same thing however. In fact, early on I tried to set my xbmc library up by setting the Win7 library as the source. I abandoned the idea right away when I cam to understand this. Even if this is possible it really is not needed. Adding your sources under: main menu, Videos is pretty much the same thing as setting up a Win7 library. In xbmc terms... there is simply a difference in the terminology used. xbmc 'vidoes' = Win7 'library' as both set up a database.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Win 7 libraries vs XBMC multipath source0