[atv2] problems with iso / mkv over smb-share
hey,

first i'd like to thank you for porting XBMC to atv2! it is nearly a perfect combination for a media center in the living room.

now i have the following problem and what i read in this forum, not only i have this problem:
i can watch sd stuff very well, mkv in 720p and 1080p (h264) are working too.
but i have a lot of dvd-iso file (~200) on an external harddrive which i'm sharing to the atv. these files don't work. they continuously stopping and buffering. i tried the "ftp-solution" but it doesn't work too.
next thing i tried, was converting to isos to mkvs. same worked, others don't. constant rebuffering.
so now my question: what can i do - this problem is in my opinion a very big one, and for me it is definitive a game stoppper!
i there a way to help the devs in some way? i noticed that there is no bug report for this - and once again, i think this is a big problem.
i like XBMC on atv - but this has to change, otherwise its kind of useless in many ways.

thanks a lot for your help
peobler

------
log http://pastebin.com/YSh4xNq3
Windows 7 - files are all on external USB 2 hard drives.
wired connection to atv
nightly build from oct. 13th.
The problem is the dvds are mpeg2 encoded which the ATV struggles with. Putting them into mkv without changing the encoding does not help. If you want to repackage them, convert to h264 at the same time.
ok, in genrell:

does that mean, that the atv2 is too slow for the mpeg2 dvd images? some of them do play converting them to mkv or is it a combination of slow smb and mpeg2?
poebler Wrote:ok, in genrell:

does that mean, that the atv2 is too slow for the mpeg2 dvd images? some of them do play converting them to mkv or is it a combination of slow smb and mpeg2?

My understanding (I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) is that MPEG2 takes less raw power to decode than x264. However the ATV2 has hardware that is dedicated to decoding x264 whereas it is using it's (relatively slow) CPU to do the decoding for MPEG2.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[atv2] problems with iso / mkv over smb-share0