sharing thumbnails along with msql database... the best approch
hi i recently set up my library with mysql so i can share it between all my xbmc setups (Currently 5) now the well known issue is that thumbnails are cached locally so you have to set up a simbolic link or whatever to get them to be seen over the network. well i was just wondering what the best approach is from what i gather there is 3 methods

1 (i came up on my own befere searching forums and is what i'm currently using)

i renamed thumbnails to thumbnails.old then created a new thumbnails folder inside of it i created folders music and video. I then did the same on my server sharing via NFS JUST each individual MUSIC and VIDEO folders and gave the snames those names respectivly, the attempted goal here is to have the minimal amount of thumbs on the network as it is my understanding xbmc will take the .tbn files in the music and video foders and generate uncompressed .pngs and .jpgs in the thumbnails/1 (2,3,e,f etc) folders so therefore it will actually be loading most thumbs locally once they are read initially. i then mounted the nfs shares the the corrospnding folders on my xbmc linux machines (video) (music)

2. a symbolic link. this just seemed redundant to me as you still have to set up a nfs is there any advantages like querying of file lists being faster or something? when you mount a share via the fstab file it seems to a me as for all intensive purposes xbmc and linux thinks its local

3. using path substitution in the as.xml. this for sure seems easiest but it means i dont have the option of mapping just the music and video folders to try and acheve generating the uncompressed thumbs on the local hard drive.

looking for some imput, what do you guys think?
bump
I am using mysql to share between one XBMC Live and one XBMC Windows. I have set up a symbolic link to my server hosting the thumbs.
It is easy to set up and works great I think. No hassle. Didn't really understand your method Rolleyes

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
sharing thumbnails along with msql database... the best approch0