Noobie Question: Two HTPC builds
Hi all, I am new to the xbmc and need some help on building two systems. The goal is to have two systems with very different requirements; all systems will be wired giga ethernet and I am not interested in 3D capabilities. Apologies in advance for the noobie questions.

System #1
High PQ and AQ (Group #5)
Video: HDMI 1080p content from bdmv folders accessed from Unraid server
Audio: Bitstream DD-HD and DTS-HA-MA
Other: playback blu-ray movie directly from bd-rom drive
Bonus: Ability to run DVDFab and pause/capture live TV?

I understand that there is a work around for Dharma 10.1 to enable bitstreaming of HD audio; i assume i must use windows 7? Is it possible to have the htpc also have the abliity to play blu-ray discs from a rom drive? Likewise, can it also be configured to run DVDFab? If not, does linux support HD audio bitstreaming (confused if I should use linux or windows?)

System #2
Mid-PQ and Low-AQ (Group: ??)
Video: HDMI 720p or 1080p from bdmv folders accessed from Unraid server
Audio: 2-channel (no AVR)

I was thinking for system #2 an apple tv2 might work? Can it handle downconversion of 1080p to 720p from bdmv content?

Thanks.
bman
here are your choices- two powerful mini-itx htpc's (supports blu-ray 1080p with dts-hd and truehd audio). the second htpc will be perfect for multi-task and great for transcoder.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
HD audio bitstreaming = Stick to Windows

So if you need HD-Audio, you need at least Group#6 build in my HTPC guide...

and for your second build, ATV2 are low power,,, might struggle under certain XBMC skins,,
but it works for 720P only,,, not 1080P...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noobie Question: Two HTPC builds0