Format Linux Drive?
Hi all....
I think i'm going to reinstall XBMC on my new ZBox but first I need to format the LINUX/UBUNTU I installed from the XBMC Live disk first. I have got to the command screen by exiting XBMC but having problems finding the syntax needed to format the Computer so I can start again.
I thought booting from the CD drive with WinXP would do this but from what I understand LINUX is a bit strict on security and won't allow me to take this easy option.

So does anyone know how I can format my drive using LINUX/UBUNTU syntax please?

Thanks in advance,
Mitch...
Not quite sure what you are doing here:

a) installing XBMC Live onto the said drive?

-OR-

b) trying to format another drive to be Linux compatible?

If a) then it should do that for you when installing XBMC Live

If b) then have a look here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17001/how...g-gparted/

Key things are to boot into Ubuntu using an Ubuntu LiveCD and use Gparted to format the drive to EXT4.

Gparted has a GUI so easy to figure out from there.

Just be sure you're not formatting a drive you want to keep - once formatted its data is toast.

good luck
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Thanks for the reply, sorry it took me so long to follow up.

Well, I was going to run XBMC from my new Zotac ZBox with XNMC Live but since I know nothing of Linux I decided to revert to windows (Win 7). I couldn't get it installed on the ZBox due to strict security on Linux so I took the drive out, used one of those USB adapters to attach it as a external drive and formatted it from there.
Its now running XBMC on win7 and i'm going through all the little niggles as I go along. I just discovered that if the Zbox comes out of hibernation it allows me to log back in from windows but the screen is blank as XBMC is nowhere to be found! I need to customize my remote control and hopefully that will take care of this problem.

I just wish XBMC Live/Linux was an easier option but my no existant knowledge in Linux means its not an easier solution for me.

Thanks,
Mitch...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Format Linux Drive?0