RDP Breaks my XBMC
Trying to RDP across my LAN crashes my XBMC.

I've allocated full resources to the connection, but it causes an error on the XBMC server which then requires a reboot to get it back. Simply relaunching XBMC gets a general windows error. Is there anything specific I need to do to get it working?
XBMC isn't designed to run in an RDP session. You may be able to get it to work by changing a settings, but this isn't guaranteed.

Log on locally and run XBMC. Go to System settings, System, Video and enable the setting "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen". This might allow XBMC to run using RDP. Note that this setting will slow video playback, but then video playback is likely to be rubbish in an RDP session anyway.

JR
I'm not trying to run XBMC in an RDP session, I'm trying to access the computer.

When I log in via RDP, XBMC - which is already running - crashes. I use RDP on a daily basis, where vast database applications have no problem running in the background, so what is it that XBMC is doing differently in this case?
On XP and Win7 RDP doesn't create a separate session, it takes over the interactive session. So if you have XBMC running then it will be running (or rather, crashing) in the RDP session.

"Vast database applications", to use your example, generally aren't using DirectX: you can't compare a database app to XBMC. The "fullscreen window" setting I mentioned above configures XBMC to use a more RDP friendly DirectX mode that may work, but there are no guarantees.

JR
I'm not running XP nor Windows 7, I'm running Server 2003 which is specifically designed to allow multiple concurrent RDP sessions.

When I select fullscreen window rather than full true screen XBMC goes blank, and the only way to resurrect things are to log in, kill the xbmc.exe task, and reboot my server; not something I want to do regularly..

Granted XBMC is not officially supported on Windows Server, but all the prequisites are there and working.

If it won't work, it won't work and I'll have to try something else (Logmein for example does not work either).
You aren't rdp'ing in as the same user that xbcm is running as are you (the console)?

I'm running s2008 on my media box and xbmc runs ok while I'm rdp'ing in the background (as a different user).

kitsunegari Wrote:I'm not running XP nor Windows 7, I'm running Server 2003 which is specifically designed to allow multiple concurrent RDP sessions.

When I select fullscreen window rather than full true screen XBMC goes blank, and the only way to resurrect things are to log in, kill the xbmc.exe task, and reboot my server; not something I want to do regularly..

Granted XBMC is not officially supported on Windows Server, but all the prequisites are there and working.

If it won't work, it won't work and I'll have to try something else (Logmein for example does not work either).
XBMC works fine on Server 2003 and Server 2008 console sesisons because I use both platforms for doing development work on XBMC, though on Server 2003 you need to go into the advanced graphics settings and set the hardware acceleration to maximum because the default is to disable it (on Server 2008 the default appears to be acceleration on). However XBMC isn't supported in RDP sessions on any version of Windows.

But I'm still not clear what you're doing. If you're running XBMC in a console session and you RDP in then unless you used the /console RDP option you should get an entirely separate session that doesn't interact with the console. If you'r RDPing in then attempting to run XBMC you can expect problems.

JR
booker88 Wrote:You aren't rdp'ing in as the same user that xbcm is running as are you (the console)?

I'm running s2008 on my media box and xbmc runs ok while I'm rdp'ing in the background (as a different user).
Ahhah, yes I am. I have a "power user" set up for my main user on the server. Server autologs in as Macgyver (yeah, Macgyver), and auto starts XBMC.

I then RDP in as Macgyver. I'll set up another account and see if that improves things.

jhsrennie Wrote:XBMC works fine on Server 2003 and Server 2008 console sesisons because I use both platforms for doing development work on XBMC, though on Server 2003 you need to go into the advanced graphics settings and set the hardware acceleration to maximum because the default is to disable it (on Server 2008 the default appears to be acceleration on). However XBMC isn't supported in RDP sessions on any version of Windows.
Yes I have set the hardware options appropriately.

Quote:But I'm still not clear what you're doing. If you're running XBMC in a console session and you RDP in then unless you used the /console RDP option you should get an entirely separate session that doesn't interact with the console. If you'r RDPing in then attempting to run XBMC you can expect problems.
Not really sure how else I can say it;

kitsunegari Wrote:I'm not trying to run XBMC in an RDP session, I'm trying to access the computer.

When I log in via RDP, XBMC - which is already running - crashes.
Assuming a cold boot:

Server turns on. Auto logs in to power user Macgyver. Auto loads XBMC. So the server is running headless, xbmc is running, the video/audio is output over HDMI from my server upstairs to my TV downstairs.

At a random time in the future after this server has been running happily for x amount of time, I want to check the status of my harddrives, or I want to manage my network backups, or I want to check the status of a torrent download so I RDP into my server.

I get the XBMC Fatal crash message, because the RDP session I've created can't load XBMC.

XBMC running on the computer, not in a console, that has been happily running for x amount of time then crashes as well. Only way to resurrect it is reboot.

Bookers comment has given me the answer though, I think. As the user has XBMC.exe in a startup script, this is also called when I RDP in as the same user, thereby calling XBMC within the RDP session even though I don't want it too - I just didn't put a rather simple 2 and 2 together.

So, I'll test it tonight, but problem solved I do believe.
You can make Windows 2003 Server (and newer) to accept two (but not more) simultaneus logins from same user without getting Terminal Service licenses. You just have to make a small (documented) trick first. Wink

I use this all the time, although I'm using W2008R2. One session is "local user" running XBMC and one is RDP session, both with same username.

Please see Microsoft documentation: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libra...s.10).aspx
Kodi @ Windows Server 2012 R2 | Pulse-Eight USB-CEC Adapter
Oh thats a nifty trick. I'll give that a go first I think, thanks Smile.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RDP Breaks my XBMC0