Add XBMC to Windows Explorer context menu?
Hi. New XBMC user here (using Dharma/Windows 7 64bit).

I'd really like to be able to right-click -> open in XBMC. Or - even better - to be able to double-click a media file in Explorer and just have it open and play in XBMC.

I've tried adding XBMC to Explorer's 'open with', but upon double-clicking a media file, XBMC just opens the home menu and nothing plays.

Surely this must be possible?

Thanks.

EDIT. My apologies, I realize this should probably have been posted in the Windows forum. Not a good start.
Sharkface Wrote:Hi. New XBMC user here (using Dharma/Windows 7 64bit).

I'd really like to be able to right-click -> open in XBMC. Or - even better - to be able to double-click a media file in Explorer and just have it open and play in XBMC.

I've tried adding XBMC to Explorer's 'open with', but upon double-clicking a media file, XBMC just opens the home menu and nothing plays.

Surely this must be possible?

Thanks.

EDIT. My apologies, I realize this should probably have been posted in the Windows forum. Not a good start.

I don't think that feature is available. You could associate XBMC with a media format but XBMC is a front end and not a player so it just opens XBMC to the menu when you click on a file. Your question is applicable to all versions so no need to apologize.
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
Dobyken Wrote:I don't think that feature is available. You could associate XBMC with a media format but XBMC is a front end and not a player so it just opens XBMC to the menu when you click on a file. Your question is applicable to all versions so no need to apologize.

OK, I think I understand, thanks.

I guess I would need some sort of shell extension.
The impending v11.0 release will open files that it is associated with. The feature was added after v10.1 was released, which is why it doesn't work at the moment. The v11.0 beta should be starting soon, or you can try one of the nightly builds from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:The impending v11.0 release will open files that it is associated with. The feature was added after v10.1 was released, which is why it doesn't work at the moment. The v11.0 beta should be starting soon, or you can try one of the nightly builds from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/.

JR

Confirmed. Associated media files, when double-clicked in Explorer, now open instantly with the latest nightly build. Many thanks!
Sorry for the old post resurrect, but I'm running Eden stable version with the Danielae HD audio patch. Just as the OP mentioned, I am not able to play a file by double-clicking it in Windows Explorer. I know this is not the intended purpose of XBMC, but it's nice to be able to preview a file quickly this way.

Anyway, how do I get this functionality? Thanks for the help!
(2011-10-15, 16:03)jhsrennie Wrote: The impending v11.0 release will open files that it is associated with. The feature was added after v10.1 was released, which is why it doesn't work at the moment. The v11.0 beta should be starting soon, or you can try one of the nightly builds from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/.

JR

(2012-09-14, 21:53)rainking430 Wrote: Sorry for the old post resurrect, but I'm running Eden stable version with the Danielae HD audio patch. Just as the OP mentioned, I am not able to play a file by double-clicking it in Windows Explorer. I know this is not the intended purpose of XBMC, but it's nice to be able to preview a file quickly this way.

Anyway, how do I get this functionality? Thanks for the help!
Nod

(2012-09-14, 21:53)rainking430 Wrote: Sorry for the old post resurrect, but I'm running Eden stable version with the Danielae HD audio patch. Just as the OP mentioned, I am not able to play a file by double-clicking it in Windows Explorer.
What happens when you double-click on the item? Have you tried right-clicking on the item, selecting "Open with" and then selecting XBMC from the list? It works for me on Eden stable, but I don't have the audio patch.
Quote:I know this is not the intended purpose of XBMC, but it's nice to be able to preview a file quickly this way.
Seems like overkill to launch XBMC simply to play a media file. Probably quicker to use a media player application to do this.

@ibleedspeed,
I don't understand your reply to rainking430's post.
(2012-09-15, 08:31)artrafael Wrote: What happens when you double-click on the item? Have you tried right-clicking on the item, selecting "Open with" and then selecting XBMC from the list?
Thanks for the good reply, artrafael. I've tried all those methods, it opens into XBMC's home screen and that's it.
(2012-09-15, 08:31)artrafael Wrote: It works for me on Eden stable, but I don't have the audio patch.
Maybe that's what's causing the problem then. Too bad since I need HD audio bitstreaming. Or maybe it's because I'm running Win8 x64 Release Preview.
(2012-09-15, 08:31)artrafael Wrote: Seems like overkill to launch XBMC simply to play a media file. Probably quicker to use a media player application to do this.
True. But after video editing and such, it's nice to be able to just quickly click on the file to test and make sure XBMC can play it ok. I use this computer as both a desktop and HTPC, so I both sit in front of it at a desk (when editing) as well as the couch (when actually using XBMC).

(2012-09-16, 14:58)rainking430 Wrote: Maybe that's what's causing the problem then. Too bad since I need HD audio bitstreaming. Or maybe it's because I'm running Win8 x64 Release Preview.

Well, you don't appear to have a problem using a potentially unstable OS, so why not try a pre-Frodo xbmc build and in the process lose the audio patch, but gain official support for HD audio. Use a nightly from September for the latest/greatest AudioEngine.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
I was on the fence regarding the nightlies, but your logic is irrefutable, thrak76. Thanks for pushing me off it. :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add XBMC to Windows Explorer context menu?0