[LINUX] Tearing-Like artifact in certain resolutions in windowed mode.
I have a pretty nice media center box set up with ubuntu natty on an AMD platform.

I have compiled xbmc 10.1 with vaapi support and libbluray support. I also applied this patch for vaapi textures.

I am using binary catalyst drivers from ATI for video acceleration.

Everything works very well and smoothly, especially in full screen mode.

The issue is that I also have a homebrew ambilight setup using boblight-X11 to get the onscreen color information. This apparently requires xbmc to run in windowed mode for it to be able to get the colors. But not just any windowed mode; for some reason when I run in a window the same resolution as the X session, boblight-X11 will still fail to get the color information. If, however, I run in any other resolution, it works fine - as far as boblight goes.

So, I have set up xbmc to run at 1920x1081 so that everything will work. And it does work beautifully, except for one little annoying hitch. There is a static jaggedly-shaped area in the top left margin of the screen, maybe 10% of screen height in height, and 50% in width. Within this shape the video tears. If the video has black bars on the top, it is not even noticeable. This does not occur if the resolution is set to match the x session at 1920x1080. Vsync is on.

I have played with the "sync display to content" and other similar options. I tried tearfree in amdccle.

Anyone have ANY ideas what's going on here? I'm ready and willing to provide more info.

Thanks!

EDIT: Here is a video of the phenomenon

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Tearing-Like artifact in certain resolutions in windowed mode.0