Might build a htpc.. couple of questions about HDCP
My first post. Hello, I'm Luke.

I've been using xbmc on an old xbox for some time now. I would like to step up to watching HD content, and after thinking about it for a couple of years, I'm getting close to picking out my components.

I will be needing more than just an htpc, as my system is aging and my receiver is lacking hdmi switching.

I was going to buy an onkyo TX-NR809 and while looking at the manual I ran across something that might be a showstopper:

"The AV receiver supports HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)*2, a copy-protection system for digital
video signals. Other devices connected to the AV receiver via HDMI must also support HDCP."

I'm very new to this game, but would a HTPC meet this criteria if i run xbmc on windows? is this a hardware thing or a software thing?

I also have an older JVC DILA tv with 1 hdmi port... would there be any issues with that?

I apologize for what is probably a newb question. I've built 10 pc's but never a htpc, and i dont want to plop down all of this money and run into issues that fight me the whole way. I would like for this to be fun.

Thanks in advance Big Grin
VFRLuke Wrote:"The AV receiver supports HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)*2, a copy-protection system for digital
video signals. Other devices connected to the AV receiver via HDMI must also support HDCP."

you need to buy a Video Card that is HDCP ready and HDMI ready,,, thats it
eskro Wrote:you need to buy a Video Card that is HDCP ready ...

I'll think you'll be hard pressed to find a modern card that doesn't support HDCP.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
Thanks for the help guys,

being that I'm starting from scratch, should I get a mobo with good onboard video, or is a video card the smart choice?
video card = smart choice
cool, thanks.

is it required that the tv support it also? searching through the manual on it but there's no mention of hdcp in it.
i wouldnt worry about it
Yes, the TV needs to support it, but again that shouldn't be a problem if it's less than a few years old.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
The tv certainly has some age on it. it's a jvc hd-52g886, which has a single hdmi port.

oldest discussion i can find on the web about this tv dates it at about a 2005 model.

it currently plays nice with my cable box, but that's the only source i've ever hooked up to the hdmi port
HDCP is nothing to worry about. It may be in the future but not now. Most new hardware is HDCP. But as of now its not required to watch a video. You can watch a video on a non HDCP monitor. Its Intel's attempt to License all hardware to prevent illegal copies from being made

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Might build a htpc.. couple of questions about HDCP0