help: on PCI-E at 4x?
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know if i run an ATI HD 4570, 6570 in PCI-E at 4x bus speed, instead of the typical 16x, will i have issues with stuttering? or anything that might cause an issue?

Thanks
Tom
Yep. Square hole, round peg.

The 16x slot is 3x the length - meaning it likely won't even fit.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/pci-...-slots.gif
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
r8lee Wrote:Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know if i run an ATI HD 4570, 6570 in PCI-E at 4x bus speed, instead of the typical 16x, will i have issues with stuttering? or anything that might cause an issue?

I have used a PCIe x16 video card in a PCIe x4 slot. In fact I even used a jewellers saw to cut down the connector to fit. The card worked just fine, though I'm not sure I'd try this with a card I'd just spent several hundred pounds on.

If you can try the card in the x4 slot without extensive surgery I'd say give it a go and see how it performs. You stand a good chance that it will work fine.

JR
thanks, glad to know it will. What card did you run? I'm assuming 1080p and hidef sound all just worked fine?

the x4 slot is actually a 16x form factor, just running at 4x speed. Building a server that is going into my rack, I mind as well turn the server into a player and move my htpc elsewhere.
r8lee Wrote:thanks, glad to know it will. What card did you run? I'm assuming 1080p and hidef sound all just worked fine?

the x4 slot is actually a 16x form factor, just running at 4x speed. Building a server that is going into my rack, I mind as well turn the server into a player and move my htpc elsewhere.

It was an NVIDIA card but I forget which model. It worked fine at 4x, even after having a hacksaw taken to it. Amazing really :-)

If an x16 card will plug into the x4 slot I'd say you have a very good chance it will work perfectly. Especially if it's a relatively low spec card like a G210. Try it and see. It's very unlikely to do any harm. Be warned that although the slot may look like a x16 it may have blanking ribs that stop you plugging in an x16 card. Dell did this on several of their low end servers. It was because of this that I had to modifiy my card.

JR
Thanks, yeah it's a 16x slot with it all open, just running at 4x speed.

Good to know and thanks a bunch mate.

Tom
Thought it won't help OP since his slot is big enough, I thought I would mention that riser cards/ribbons work great too and are pretty cheap. You can even get a miniPCIe to 16x PCIe adapter/riser.
It will be fine.

Even if it was a physical 4x slot a lot of motherboard manufactuers use slots with the end missing so you can insert a longer card.

Yes the card will have reduced bandwith but for a GPU thats only doing HD decoding etc it wont matter.
Hi,

I initially had the asus e51 deluxe mother board and tried the following

on board GPU
Nvidia GT430
ATI 6670 1Gb

with me got constant stutter on high bitrate movies with all three, with ATI had compatibility issue as they are not very good at backward compatibility, installed it into Pci2.0 x16 and works perfect.

now i have Asrock H67 / Intel 2500T and everything works perfect.

a5ian300zx
TV: Sony  65" A1E Surround: Yamaha RXA-3050 + ORB Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Sub Processor: Darbee + DVDO iScan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K + Apple TV4K + Vu+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS 871 Pro i7 16GB Ram 10GBe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
help: on PCI-E at 4x?0