New gear/reconfiguring XBMC - MKV native vs. External Players?
Greetings. I have been using XBMC for quite a while, having knowingly moved several of my friends in the same direction. I recently purchased a new 59" HDTV, Denon AV Receiver and nVidia GTX 560 ti card for my HTPC. I uninstalled the latest nightly build and downloaded 10.1 stable as a starting point. I have ripped many of my movies several different ways......DVD ISO's, DVD rips to XVID/DIVX, MKV rips of DVDs, etc.. and all have played pretty good on my builds (old/new). I also purchased a Samsung internal Blu-Ray player for my HTPC build, and I understand that XBMC cannot play Blu-Ray discs natively. No problem. My intent was to rip my blu-rays to mkv files so that I can play them in XBMC. So, I ripped a couple and have seen a little bit of stuttering in the video playback in XBMC which is not present when playing the blu-ray thru PowerDvd 9 (Included with my player). So, where am I going with this? I looked in the wiki/sticky to try and figure this out, but I am getting a bit confused. I assumed that XBMC could play the MKV files without issue, but perhaps I don't have my playback settings configured correctly in XBMC? When I enable hardware accelerated playback, navigation the XBMC interface makes the video playing in the background stutter to all hell and back. Should I be using external players even with .mkv files? I waiting to post this cause I too believe searching before posting is important. In my case, I honestly tried (obviously not hard enough) to find the information I need. If unable to provide some guidance in a reply, can someone maybe help me find the threads/wiki reference that will help me out?
O.K.. So, I configured MPC-HC with MadVR for my GTX 560 ti based system. Seems to be working o.k.. MPC-HC launches as expected. How do I gracefully get back to the XBMC gui if I pause/stop the movie? I need to figure out how best to play a blu-ray disk (there appear to be plenty of threads for that...I'll look around). I'm looking for the best way to gracefully switch in/out of mpc-hc. Wife factor, you know! LOL!
InDashMP3 Wrote:O.K.. So, I configured MPC-HC with MadVR for my GTX 560 ti based system. Seems to be working o.k.. MPC-HC launches as expected. How do I gracefully get back to the XBMC gui if I pause/stop the movie? I need to figure out how best to play a blu-ray disk (there appear to be plenty of threads for that...I'll look around). I'm looking for the best way to gracefully switch in/out of mpc-hc. Wife factor, you know! LOL!

I use mpc as an external player. This is what is in my playercorefactory.xml file:

Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>C:\Program Files\MPC HomeCinema (x64)\mpc-hc64.exe</filename>
      <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /play /close</args>
      <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
      <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
      <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
    </player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
    <rule filetypes="mkv" videoresolution="1080" player="MPC-HC"/>
   </rules>
</playercorefactory>

To get back to xbmc. I hit Stop (my remote is configured to control mpc-hc for the movie navigation) and then hit the xbmc back button. this brings xbmc back into focus.
InDashMP3 Wrote:O.K.. So, I configured MPC-HC with MadVR for my GTX 560 ti based system. Seems to be working o.k.. MPC-HC launches as expected. How do I gracefully get back to the XBMC gui if I pause/stop the movie? I need to figure out how best to play a blu-ray disk (there appear to be plenty of threads for that...I'll look around). I'm looking for the best way to gracefully switch in/out of mpc-hc. Wife factor, you know! LOL!
Open up MPC-HC and go to View -> Options. Under Player go to Keys. Here you will see a list of all the commands for MPC and what keys control. If you scroll to the right you will see the App Command column which shows if any Apps have been assigned to the respective command.

When I hit the stop button I want MPC to exit and go back into xbmc, so I assign the App Command MEDIA_STOP to the Exit command - don't worry that it also is bound to 'stop', they can blisfully co-exist.

Pause will not take you back to the xbmc GUI as you have moved from xbmc into another app.
InDashMP3 Wrote:Greetings. I have been using XBMC for quite a while, having knowingly moved several of my friends in the same direction. I recently purchased a new 59" HDTV, Denon AV Receiver and nVidia GTX 560 ti card for my HTPC. I uninstalled the latest nightly build and downloaded 10.1 stable as a starting point. I have ripped many of my movies several different ways......DVD ISO's, DVD rips to XVID/DIVX, MKV rips of DVDs, etc.. and all have played pretty good on my builds (old/new). I also purchased a Samsung internal Blu-Ray player for my HTPC build, and I understand that XBMC cannot play Blu-Ray discs natively. No problem. My intent was to rip my blu-rays to mkv files so that I can play them in XBMC. So, I ripped a couple and have seen a little bit of stuttering in the video playback in XBMC which is not present when playing the blu-ray thru PowerDvd 9 (Included with my player). So, where am I going with this? I looked in the wiki/sticky to try and figure this out, but I am getting a bit confused. I assumed that XBMC could play the MKV files without issue, but perhaps I don't have my playback settings configured correctly in XBMC? When I enable hardware accelerated playback, navigation the XBMC interface makes the video playing in the background stutter to all hell and back. Should I be using external players even with .mkv files? I waiting to post this cause I too believe searching before posting is important. In my case, I honestly tried (obviously not hard enough) to find the information I need. If unable to provide some guidance in a reply, can someone maybe help me find the threads/wiki reference that will help me out?
you have a very powerful gpu and dennon suppose to be a very good avr too. there is no reason you cannot enjoy bd in 1080p video with dts-hd and truehd audio. i have been using july version of eden to do just that. i am able to natively playback bd (iso/m2ts/mkv) ripped files and playback bd directly on bd-rom too. here is my guide- blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd and here is how i playback bd directly on bd-rom- post #271.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
@foghat - Thanks for posting that. Mine is very similar, but I think I'm also going to add the (1080) to my rule.

@steelman1991 - Thanks! I added that to my EXIT command.. Works perfect, thanks! Wish that you could resume like native playback in XBMC.. Oh well! Have you any luck getting 24p to work with MPC-HC? I'd like to explore that, but not quite sure how to configure..I'm running MADVR /lavcuvid which seems to be working well. Getting DTS-HD on my MKVs (that have it).

@bluray - I may have to give your method a try for playing BD natively. When I tried the latest Eden build, I was receiving unsupported audio device errors.

You guys are great...Any more tips/suggestions from others?
InDashMP3 Wrote:@steelman1991 - Thanks! I added that to my EXIT command.. Works perfect, thanks! Wish that you could resume like native playback in XBMC.. Oh well! Have you any luck getting 24p to work with MPC-HC? I'd like to explore that, but not quite sure how to configure..I'm running MADVR /lavcuvid which seems to be working well. Getting DTS-HD on my MKVs (that have it).
Go to Options/Player and check Remember File Position, this will resume from stop position (but be aware it will do this every time and will not ask if you want to resume or start from the beginning).

Set up auto changing in mpc-hc for 24hz playback - again in Options go to Playback/Fullscreen and set-up auto refresh changing (With Vista and above it is only necessary to set-up the bottom two options. Checking the box - 'Restore resolution on program exit' will revert to your default screen resolution settings (50 or 60 Hz).
InDashMP3 Wrote:@bluray - I may have to give your method a try for playing BD natively. When I tried the latest Eden build, I was receiving unsupported audio device errors.
with proper settings in w7 control panel and xbmc, and install proper codecs and drivers, you shouldn't have any problem. i use it on several htpc's with both amd and ati gpu's, and it works fine!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
steelman1991 Wrote:Go to Options/Player and check Remember File Position, this will resume from stop position (but be aware it will do this every time and will not ask if you want to resume or start from the beginning).

Set up auto changing in mpc-hc for 24hz playback - again in Options go to Playback/Fullscreen and set-up auto refresh changing (With Vista and above it is only necessary to set-up the bottom two options. Checking the box - 'Restore resolution on program exit' will revert to your default screen resolution settings (50 or 60 Hz).

Darn...I knew I was asking these questions prematurely! I need to poke around a bit more! The reason why I seem to be struggling with 24p is that in MPC-HC is that I am using MadVR....I understand that I cannot take advantage of the "fullscreen" options as explained above. Am I mistaken?
InDashMP3 Wrote:@foghat - Thanks for posting that. Mine is very similar, but I think I'm also going to add the (1080) to my rule.

@steelman1991 - Thanks! I added that to my EXIT command.. Works perfect, thanks! Wish that you could resume like native playback in XBMC.. Oh well! Have you any luck getting 24p to work with MPC-HC? I'd like to explore that, but not quite sure how to configure..I'm running MADVR /lavcuvid which seems to be working well. Getting DTS-HD on my MKVs (that have it).

@bluray - I may have to give your method a try for playing BD natively. When I tried the latest Eden build, I was receiving unsupported audio device errors.

You guys are great...Any more tips/suggestions from others?

Only use the 1080p rule if you want to use the native player for regular dvds (or any non-1080p material). If you do, the programing the remote buttons becomes a little tricky, as mpc-hc and internal player need to be mapped differently.

I actually only have the 1080p rule on my test machine.
foghat Wrote:Only use the 1080p rule if you want to use the native player for regular dvds (or any non-1080p material). If you do, the programing the remote buttons becomes a little tricky, as mpc-hc and internal player need to be mapped differently.

I actually only have the 1080p rule on my test machine.

Got it.. Thanks! Now trying to figure out why the seek bar at the bottom of the playing video stays visible until I move my mouse on the screen....then it hides.. I checked that is not set to visible in the options.:confused2:
steelman1991 Wrote:Go to Options/Player and check Remember File Position, this will resume from stop position (but be aware it will do this every time and will not ask if you want to resume or start from the beginning).

Sorry forgot you had said you used MadVR - thankfully the same principles apply. Open a movie in mpc-hc, right click and navigate to 'filters', highlight and open MadVR Renderer, choose 'edit settings' and choose the drop down menu from the display setting. From there choose display modes and set up the refresh rates. I have mine as follows:-

1080p23, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p50, 1080p59, 1080p60

copy and paste these into the display values box and you should be good to go.
InDashMP3 Wrote:Got it.. Thanks! Now trying to figure out why the seek bar at the bottom of the playing video stays visible until I move my mouse on the screen....then it hides.. I checked that is not set to visible in the options.:confused2:

That does seem weird. in mpc-hc under Playback -- > Fullscreen I have Show controls in fullscreen checked off and 0 entered for sec. the controls never come up unless I move the mouse down to the bottom of the screen.

If you uncheck it, you should never get the controls.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New gear/reconfiguring XBMC - MKV native vs. External Players?0