What HTPC to get?
Hi Guys,

I need some help from you.

I’m thinking about getting myself a HTPC.

First I was thinking about getting me my own eskro G5 (As descriped here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=96489)

But this configuration is way to expansive, it about 550-600 Euros.

As I plan to play mostly smaller files like TV shows’ episodes, some 720p movies and only a few 1080p movies I thought a ZBOX could be a good alternative for me.

But the question is: which box to get?

Has anyone experience with the ID41? They range about 200 Euros.

Or what about the Nano box like the NANO-AD10?

I want a system that can run xmbc on Win7 64bit smoothly.

Up to now, I don’t have a 5.1 System, but I’m thinking about getting one next spring.

I guess that’s the point where I want to play the sound over the AVR from my HTPC.

Is this possible with a ZBOX? Or do I need to get a “real” HTPC?

Thanks for your help guys!!!
here is affordable htpc-

1. Apex MI-100 4BAY Desktop Blk/Silver 250W ATX12V Mitx
2. ASRock E350M1/USB3
3. Patriot Torqx 2 PT232GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive
4. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3
5. Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm
6. one of these $25 (MSI N430GT) or this $40 (SAPPHIRE 100322L Radeon HD 6450).

with the hardware above, you should be able to playback bd in 1080p video with dts-hd and truehd audio flawless. here is an affordable hd audio surround sound system- Onkyo HTX-22HDX and you can add these speaker to make it 5.1 system- ONKYO SKS22X 5.1.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Doesnt the mobo that you posted already take cover of 1080p? Why the extra graphic card?

ASRock E350M1/USB3 AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD A50M Hudson M1 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
apex82 Wrote:Doesnt the mobo that you posted already take cover of 1080p? Why the extra graphic card?

ASRock E350M1/USB3 AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD A50M Hudson M1 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo

i have this same board and setup. It will take all the video i can throw at it, but the XBMC interface is sometimes laggy. Wont run heavy skins very well.
apex82 Wrote:Doesnt the mobo that you posted already take cover of 1080p? Why the extra graphic card?

i'm not a fan of igpu, because it is slightly lack of horse power. with gpu, it give me a lot smoother playback in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd!
mrwhite Wrote:i have this same board and setup. It will take all the video i can throw at it, but the XBMC interface is sometimes laggy. Wont run heavy skins very well.
you can try with "high performance" power option in w7 control panel.
Thanx for the fast feedback. I'll check what this setup will be priced at here in Germany.Does any one of you have experiencewith one of those Zboxes?
mrwhite Wrote:i have this same board and setup. It will take all the video i can throw at it, but the XBMC interface is sometimes laggy. Wont run heavy skins very well.

What about aeon nox or neon? Do those run fine?
I had an e-350 in my HTPC and I can report just about the same experience as mrwhite. I ran with all stock settings using win7. I was using Confluence and the performance was adequate. It wasn't terrible but I did notice some lag. My wife and kids never complained but I noticed it. I never even tried a heavier skin because I knew it would be a waste of time. I just switched to a Pentium G620 and now the interface is super snappy. I think it really depends on the person. If you are the kind of person who will notice little details and has high expectations (like me) then the e-350 may not be the best option for you. I had my system for 6 months and it played everything I had - mostly 720 & 1080P mkvs and SD & HDTV recordings - without a hitch. After 6 months the bug finally bit me and I got some new hardware eventhough I probably did not need it.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB

if you plan to playback bd iso in full 1080p video and bitstreaming dts-hd and truehd audio, i highly recommend gpu in my post #2 list.
apex82 Wrote:What about aeon nox or neon? Do those run fine?

aeon nox was unusable, neon was okish. I use simplicity, and it runs that pretty well, but when changing menus, or loading large file lists, it lags for a couple seconds before smoothing out.

also, i have that exact same board and the CPU fan just gave out on me. Should have trusted my gut in regards to ASrock reliability.
mrwhite Wrote:Should have trusted my gut in regards to ASrock reliability.
no one can predict the life span of electronics. some last longer for the same brand and model, and your happen to be a bad one. i leave my asrock e350m1 on 24/7, and it's still running fine!
bluray Wrote:no one can predict the life span of electronics

+1, anything can break at any time,,,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What HTPC to get?0