HTPC of complete newbie - need an advice
Hello I'm Cxax.
I have never used any multimedia player nor HTPC, only a standalone DVD player. However the time has come to get into next level.
After reading many articles and forums I think my HTPC setup could work.
Here it is:
Motherboard: ASUS E35M1-I DELUXE,
Case: CFI CBI-A8989TG (I think this is an equivalent to Rosewill RC-CIX-01 BK),
RAM: Kingston 2GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM (KVR1333D3N9/2G),
SSD drive (system only): OCZ OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G,
HHD drive: Samsung SpinPoint EcoGreen F4EG, 3.5'', 2TB, SATA/300, 32MB cache,
Optical drive: Lite-On iHES112-29,
Remote: Logitech DiNovo Mini.

My questions are:
1. Will this setup work (playing BD, BD ISO, DB rips, etc.)?
2. How can I reduce the cots (maybe smaller SSD drive)?
3. Is the Logitech keyboard fully compatibile with Ubuntu (will I be able to turn on and shut down the HTPC with it)?
4. I want to use the optical drive for blu-ray backuping. Is there any Linux software for this task or I'll need to have windows instaled also?

Thank you for your help.

ps. English is not my native language so please be understanding for my mistakes.
if your just using it for xbmc i would go with openelec its a stripped down linux os with XBMC boots into xbmc in 10secs from start up you could then use a usb3 thumb drive for your os and do away with the ssd to cut cost down also think openelec has a make mkv addon but dont know how it would go about blurays
Saving money is great but saving too much can turn out bad if it doesn't do the job or you wind up hating the product. Here are some tips I can provide on your list that might be helpful.

cxax Wrote:Motherboard: ASUS E35M1-I DELUXE
Does this use ATI graphics? If so you will have difficulty getting it to work in Linux. Nvidia graphics is the way to go for Linux
cxax Wrote:SSD drive (system only): OCZ OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G
60Gig is HUGE for a Linux XBMC. You really only need a 30Gig for Win7 and it will still have extra room. Also, OCZ drives seem to have a high failure rate and that is why you see them as the lowest price and in special deals. Try Corsair or Intel. There is another new one people here like too. Check some other threads - I think it is Patriot Torque? or maybe Crutial Torqe?
cxax Wrote:HHD drive: Samsung SpinPoint EcoGreen F4EG, 3.5'', 2TB, SATA/300, 32MB cache
I have read some Samsung drives have problems. I do not know which ones so be sure to check. Might be the reason it has a low price?
cxax Wrote:Optical drive: Lite-On iHES112-29
I hate Lite-On/Sony Optical drives with a passion. Unless things have changed they make SLOW & NOISY optical drives. Samsung is a much better choice and worth a few $ more to not have to listen to a Lite-On spin up. Escro also reccomends LG optical drives but I have no experience with them.

cxax Wrote:ps. English is not my native language so please be understanding for my mistakes.
Your English looks great btw Cool I would not have known if you didn't say it.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
cxax Wrote:OS: Ubuntu + XBMC
you might have better luck with this pre-built (ASRock ION3D)

cxax Wrote:My questions are:
1. Will this setup work (playing BD, BD ISO, DB rips, etc.)?
i'm not sure about ubuntu, but xbmc can natively playback all of those with w7.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
i wouldnt go wuth linux if u plan on playing BD disc or BD iso
eskro Wrote:i wouldnt go wuth linux if u plan on playing BD disc or BD iso
i can natively playback bd disc and bd iso with w7+xbmc.
windows yes, Linux ---> no go
eskro Wrote:windows yes, Linux ---> no go
i thought i read somewhere that some users has succesfully setup ati with linux.
As mentioned in another thread, the cost of running Windows ($$ license $$, more disk space, more RAM) is comparable -if not more- to that of a standalone BR player and should be taken into account in the total cost of ownership.

In my case, I prefer to run Linux for XBMC and play blu-rays separately with a standalone player. Costs less, easier to setup XBMC (no learning curve) and keeps my house more natively open-source (that's kind of an ideological goal) Big Grin

Having said that, if you can get a Windows license for free, yes, setting the whole thing up will be easier. But I'm the kind of guy who's up for the (Linux) challenge, although I'm quite noob, but if I can get around Microsoft the enjoyment and pride will be twice as much when watching movies on my Linux build (which is in construction phase right now!!)
You could keep Linux and play BD's by going this route:

Install MakeMKV for Linux - http://www.makemkv.com/download/

Then install the MakeMKVbluray addon/plugin - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67420

Drop a Bluray disc in your player, and play it via the addon in XBMC.
My HTPC: Win 7 64 | Dharma 10.1 | Case - nMediapc HTPC 6000 | AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz | ASRock 890GX Pro3 | G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB | Zotac ZT-406004 GT 430 | Patriot Torqx 2 32GB SSD | Thermaltake TR2 Series 500w | 4TB Storage | LG Bluray Burner | MS Arc Keyboard
Software: Sickbeard | CouchPotato | Sabnbzd | MakeMKV

but that method may not be %100 successful in playing ALL bluray discs...
My desktop's BD drive is shared over SMB (with AnyDVD running in the background). Another option to consider if you already have a desktop/server on the network.
jackh Wrote:Costs less, easier to setup XBMC (no learning curve) and keeps my house more natively open-source (that's kind of an ideological goal) Big Grin
i'm not buying your cost analysis. the 3 users windows 7 is $284 ($95/user). i used windows 7 since it released, and there is no learning curve for me. bd-rom is fully integrated with w7+xbmc, which mean less hdmi cable and less power usage than htpc+standalone bd player.

it can natively playback bd in full 1080p with dts-hd and truehd with xbmc and 7mce. i can surf the net too!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC of complete newbie - need an advice0