Help! Need a quick answer
I have got transmission downloading movies.
Completed movies are placed in the Movies folder.

The movies folder has the following permissions

drwxrwsrwx 3 faz faz 4096 2011-10-23 02:04 Movies

the problem is downloaded films within the folder dont have correct permissions meaning that i cannot delete them.

drwxr-sr-x 2 debian-transmission faz 4096 movie.name

so i have to manually use chmod 777 to change permissions.

I just want all Movies within the movies folder to have correct permissions
so anyone can delete them

Thank you
How is transmission being started?

It looks like you have a user on your system called "debian-transmission" that is being used to launch the program. When you log in as "faz" the computer won't let you delete files created by "debian-transmission" unless you use chmod to modify the program.

I use rtorrent and a program called "dtach" to launch it when the computer boots. The program runs under user "xbmc", the main user of my machine, and creates files as that profile. When I log in as "xbmc" I can delete and move whatever I like.

My advice would be, if you are using a script to start transmission, see if there's anyway to change the user transmission launches under.
What about 'fstab' How is the partition setup? Separate 'home' partition ? If it's set to 'defaults' I believe anyone can delete files.
I have a separate drive for 'Movies" eg
# Movies /dev/sdc
UUID=406E5D356E5D24C6 /mnt/Disk3 ext4 defaults 0 0
Im using xbmc live, i had to re-install which probably knocked out the previous settings
so whats the best way to solve this.... im at my brother in laws place and will be leaving in a few hours just need a sure fire way of solving this
owen1978 Wrote:Im using xbmc live, i had to re-install which probably knocked out the previous settings
so whats the best way to solve this.... im at my brother in laws place and will be leaving in a few hours just need a sure fire way of solving this

Sorry about the delay, just got up after celebrating the All Blacks (New Zealand) winning the Rugby World Cup last night against France.

Post '/etc/fstab' or backup and modify to look like mine - just the 'defaults' (options) part.
UUID=a516e40e-38b4-4474-9683-5bcd6b159244 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1

Thats what the fstab looks like,
teamviewer is a godsend!
owen1978 Wrote:Help! Need a quick answer

How about you fix the title of your post so people can actually help you?

You are not the center of attention. People really dont care what owen1978 has to say, but if you ask for specific help in the title more people will see it and it will likely be provided.
owen1978 Wrote:UUID=a516e40e-38b4-4474-9683-5bcd6b159244 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1

Thats what the fstab looks like,
teamviewer is a godsend!

Have a read http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/...al-841085/

Looks like you have just the one partition. If you had separate partitions (one or more drives) your OS would have set the others to 'defaults' so anyone can read / write.

Not sure you should post that you are downloading pirated movies via torrent. Anyway check out usenet, safer and faster than file sharing.
One possibility is in access control lists, command is setfacl

this may help: http://www.novell.com/documentation/suse...pbs03.html

I think you want a default ACL on the directory in question.
ASRock ION 330
Ubuntu 11.10 x86_64 minimal install
xbmc from unstable ppa

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help! Need a quick answer0