Streaming Various Internet Videos to ATV2
Hi,

My mom connects her computer to the TV via hdmi so she can watch videos from various sites.

I thought it would be much easier if I got her an ATV2 and just stream the videos, which she watches in a browser, directly to the TV through the ATV2.

I jailbroke the APTV2 and installed XBMC, but I can't figure out how to stream the videos that she watches in her browser. I read about creating stream files, but that is not an option as the videos are not being streamed through the same permanent URL. It's kind of like youtube where you click on the various videos you want to watch and they play.

I basically want to view whatever videos playing in her browser on the TV through APTV2. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me if this is possible.

Thanks
Well depending on what file type they are, you can do it via BROWSER, which I installed via ATVFlash (black)
It won't stream flash stuff but you never know.

Also there is a youtube add-on in XBMC anyway if that's what she wants. Actually there is one in the ATV2 menu too.
If she's using Safari she can use ClickToPlugin and AirPlay videos from several sites (Blip.tv, Break, Dailymotion, Facebook, Metacafe, TED, Vimeo, and YouTube. Even more that use <audio>/<video> fallback content.)

http://hoyois.github.com/safariextension...ktoplugin/

I bet there's an equivalent for Firefox and Chrome too.
Thanks for the recommendations guys. She's unfortunately not using a mac so I can't use airplay. Although that is a an option since I can always just give her my macbook if worst comes to worst.

I'm going to search how to add those add-ons and plugins and try them out.

When I said that the videos she was watching were like youtube, I meant in the sense that they each have different URLs and not a steady stream, but it's not actually youtube.

Again, thanks for the help.
Just checked the videos and they are in flash so unfortunately, Browser through ATV Flash (black) will not work.

If you have any other ideas, I would appreciate it.
I think I'm going to have to get a boxee box because I understand that it has a native browser which is capable of playing flash video, which is just what I need.

If anyone has any other suggestions on how to play flash videos from my computer's browser or some other installable browser on apple tv 2, I'd greatly appreciate it.
1. A lot of such websites these days do have apps on iOS devices ie. iPhone, iPad etc. from which you can AirPlay them to atv2.
2. Ned's suggestion about Click2plugin is not restricted to Mac but to safari. In other words, you can install safari on windows and then install the plugin, all without any cost. You can then see if your websites are compatible for AirPlay.
3. Have you also checked whether any XBMC plugins stream these videos?
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

The flash sites she watches are not at all popular and do not have any apps in the app store or cydia.

I'll definitely try the click2plugin option and see if that works. If that option works with generic flash videos, then it should be fine.

I'm completely new to Apple TV, in fact this is the first one I purchase and I did that to make this work for her. But in searching forums, I didn't come across an XBMC plugins to stream flash videos which are "streaming" into the computer.

Thanks for the feedback.
I was myself looking for this. I am hoping that someone will come up with a solution.
If I helped you please add to my reputation a positive note
adioukrou.
Using clicktoplugin I was able to airplay youtube videos from Safari no problem by right clicking on the video, but when I went to the site which has the videos I would like to stream to my Apple TV 2, right clicking the video did not give me an option to send to airplay.

The videos are in flash.

Any other suggestion I could try?
1. Have a good look at click2plugin website and try to add all "killers". Also enable the Media Centre plugin from there.
2. You can try to change the user agent of safari to iPad.
3. You can submit a request in the XBMC Plugins thread if someone is able to help you make an add-on for your website/s.

All I got Wink
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

activate Wrote:1. Have a good look at click2plugin website and try to add all "killers". Also enable the Media Centre plugin from there.

Flash is being blocked as where I used to see the video, I now see an empty grey box with "Flash" written in the middle.

How do I enable the media center plugin from the clicktoplugin? Also, should I install clicktoflash as well or not?

Thanks
1. Sorry, I meant also install the media centre plugin from the same website.
2. Just click on that flash placecard that you see. It will either then load normally or you maybe able to AirPlay it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming Various Internet Videos to ATV20