New video mode ... anamorphic ...
Question 
hi ! Smile

recently, i've try to create anamorphic clip from dvd video ( vp6 codec )

for that, i take my video, and only crop black borders with avs ... not any resize applied ... :pirate:

since avi dont allow pixel ratio setting (for anamorphic), i've try to use matroska encapsuler ( .mkv file ) ... same result ( the pixel ratio is not used ) ...

so, actually it looks like the only way to display correctly an anamorphic video, is to set manually the pixel ratio for each video ... a little borring imho ... Blush

the idea is to add a new video output mode, today, there is normal, custom, zoom, and some stretching mode ... it may be really usefull to add an "anamorphic" mode, this mode is like normal, else the pixel ratio is the anamorphic one ( 1.44 i think ). ... this is the easier way for devs i think ...

and the best way imo could be to add an option in osd in video part, when this "anamorphic" option is checked, the 1.44 is applied, else not ... an option allow use of others zoom mode like zoom ... :thumbsup: ...

with this, you can view anamorphic clip, by just check an option in osd, and you can continue to use zoom & others mode ... so, not a bad idea i think ...

thanks 4 all ...
seb.
anamorphic widescreen videos are not all necessarily in 16:9 (1.78:1) aspect ratio. they come in a range of varieties which include 1.85:1 and 2.35:1. the pixel ratio is different for each of these as to "squish" the video the correct amount to restore the original aspect ratio.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
hi !

dvd video have 2 pixels ratio ( and only 2 ) : 4/3 and 16/9 ( anamorphic ) ... so pixel ratio is 1.0 or 1.44 ... Smile

i've modified xbmc to add this mode, it work exactly as needed, exept it's a view mode, not an option in osd ...

here are modifications :
( in bold, new/modified code )

setting.h : define new view_mode value
Quote:#define view_mode_original 5
#define view_mode_custom 6
#define view_mode_anamorph 7

xboxrender.cpp : set pixel ratio.
Quote:void cxboxrenderer:Confusedetviewmode(int iviewmode)
{
if (iviewmode < view_mode_normal || iviewmode > view_mode_anamorph) iviewmode = view_mode_normal;
g_stsettings.m_currentvideosettings.m_viewmode = iviewmode;

if (g_stsettings.m_currentvideosettings.m_viewmode == view_mode_normal)
{ // normal mode...
g_stsettings.m_fpixelratio = 1.0;
g_stsettings.m_fzoomamount = 1.0;
return ;
}
if (g_stsettings.m_currentvideosettings.m_viewmode == view_mode_custom)
{
g_stsettings.m_fzoomamount = g_stsettings.m_currentvideosettings.m_customzoomamount;
g_stsettings.m_fpixelratio = g_stsettings.m_currentvideosettings.m_custompixelratio;
return ;
}
if (g_stsettings.m_currentvideosettings.m_viewmode == view_mode_anamorph)
{
g_stsettings.m_fzoomamount = 1.0;
g_stsettings.m_fpixelratio = 1.44f;
return ;
}

please also add string 637 ( "anamorphic" ), because the string 630+viewmode is used in info bar ...

take this lines and do what you want with them ... trash them if you want, but this is really usefull ... Confusedaint:

thanks for your work Wink
seb.
you are pseudo-correct about dvd pixel ratios. there are four of them: pal, pal anamorphic, ntsc, and ntsc anamorphic. all of these are different pixel ratios, although the anamorphic ratios are just a constant multiple of their non-anamorphic counterparts.

1.44 is not correct for any of them. i posted them all in your other thread about it.

if anything, the "anamorphic" switch would be 1.33 (you want to convert from 4:3 to 16:9). it's basic math :p.

if all your movies are pal anamorphic, then use the ratio i specified in your previous thread.

cheers,
jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Quote:1.44 is not correct for any of them. i posted them all in your other thread about it.
when encoding dvd video (pal), i do : resizing(720;576)->(720;408)+crop(...)
and frame is perfect ( test done with pal thx optimizer... )
... 576 / 400 = 1.44 ... this is the scale ratio to obtain pixel pc from anamorphic frame ...

but to be sure, i will encode thx optimizer as anamorphic and display it in xbmc using 1.44 ratio ... we will see ...

about my previous post, my idea was : 1.85 movie as same pixel ratio than 16/9 or cinemascope ... Blush ... not about pal/ntsc ... but you are right, there are 2 values for anamorphic video ( from dvd video Smile ), 1 for pal, and 1 for ntsc ...

so, a correct code ( for pal & ntsc ) could be something like :
g_stsettings.m_fpixelratio = ( isntscmovie() )?( ntsc_ratio )Sad pal_ratio );

in any case, since this seem to not interest anybody Image , have you an idea of way for me to automaticaly insert this in source file before build ? ... :nuts:

thanks jm, you are great, like everytime ... Smile
seb.

nb: i'm talking about par, not dar ...
interesting... so how does this work for movies that are not natively in 1.78:1 ar?

are they first letterboxed to 1.78:1 before they are converted to an anamorphic video?
correct. black bars are added to make them up to the 16:9 framesize.

same thing happens on those rather nasty 2.35:1 non-anamorphic dvds. thankfully they're becoming extinct.

technically, though, all dvd's are anamorphic, as not a single one of them has a 1:1 pixel ratio :p

cheers,
jonathan

(jmarshall @ april 13 2005,15:19 Wrote:technically, though, all dvd's are anamorphic, as not a single one of them has a 1:1 pixel ratio :p
:lol:

[edit] ... no interest of anybody ... direct to trash ... Confusedleep:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New video mode ... anamorphic ...0