1080p capable HTPC vs softmodded Xbox with tons of games
Which should i get? It will be used as an overall media center for my living room.
Xbox: will play 720p videos with a tualatin cpu upgrade a have a load of games and emulators installed on the hard drive
PC: will play 1080p videos by itself and no games (dont want crappy graphics at high rez)
The Xbox will certainly give you a better experience in terms of getting software set up. You can get games and emulators to run on the PC side, but it requires some configuration with Launcher plugins, and can be a pain.

Using Windows on a PC will probably get you a pretty good experience. Depending on the specs of the PC, you could even get modern games running, whereas the Xbox will only run games designed for it and its emulators.

the PC is more future-proof, as XBMC development has pretty much stopped on the Xbox, and the PC side is getting all the cool features.

It just depends. Ease of use vs customization, that's what it comes down to at this point.
PC all the way. Xbox is no longer officially supported so don't count on getting any of the new features in XBMC. As for the games: Even a pretty inexpensive HTPC can handle the games a crappy old first generation Xbox can run. Crappy graphics at high rez sounds more like a Xbox issue than PC.

For your use case I would recommend a Dual Core CPU (Core 2 Duo, Core i3 or Core i5) and a Geforce 200 type graphics card (e.g. Geforce GT 240).
I would say HTPC. Xbox is not made anymore and not really supported by xbmc.

If you want to game I would just get a console seperate.

htpc in my signature below!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
thanks for the answers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080p capable HTPC vs softmodded Xbox with tons of games0