• 4(current)
Shortage of Hard Drives Prices UP!
Jetster Wrote:Newegg has IDE drives on there e-mail specials crazy cheep 80Gb and 160Gb
Huh Thanks for the heads up (and don't take this the wrong way) but I think that most people following this thread are concerned about HDDs that they would use for media storage. To me that means 2TB and above. I could see some people viewing that as 1TB and above. If those drives you mentioned were free and all I had to pay was shipping I still would not be interested. No But of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Nod
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Jetster Wrote:Newegg has IDE drives on there e-mail specials crazy cheep 80Gb and 160Gb

I think Newegg started blowing the dust off of their old stocks that's been sitting on the corner of their warehouse. Shortage means opportunity to get rid of those old stocks.
WhiteLighter Wrote:I think Newegg started blowing the dust off of their old stocks that's been sitting on the corner of their warehouse. Shortage means opportunity to get rid of those old stocks.

Holy cow!! I had to check my Inbox for Newegg's email to make sure. First I thought he was talking about SSD's Huh ... now I realize that 80GB HDD are still on the market !!! Shocked Laugh And those are recertified. Confused I guess you're right, every opportunity is good to make a buck. Big Grin
g725s Wrote:In theory it sounds great. But you void the warranty as soon as you do that. Unless you feel you could put it all back together as if it never was.

bluray Wrote:it's not true, because most manufactures still give full warrantee on hd after it is removed from the case.

I'm sorry bluray, but you are wrong. And I don't think it is right to lead others down a path that could lose them money in their XBMC quest.

Here is a quote from the Seagate Warranty; " Our warranties do not cover any problem that is caused by (a) commercial use; accident; abuse; neglect; shock; electrostatic discharge; heat or humidity beyond product specifications; improper installation; operation; maintenance or modification; or (b) any misuse contrary to the instructions in the user manual; or © loss passwords; or (d) malfunctions caused by other equipment. Our limited warranties are void if a product is returned with removed, damaged or tampered labels or any alterations (including removal of any component or external cover)."

I knew this from before. I could research others but won't since they will be the same. I still have an email from Seagate when I asked this question a few years ago. Here is the response;

"Thank you for sending your Seagate E-mail inquiry.

I understand that you will like to remove the drive from the external case, but doing that will void the warranty on the drive.
"

Seagate Warranty

I can guarantee you that all other major manufactures will follow the same business practices.
g725s Wrote:I'm sorry bluray, but you are wrong. And I don't think it is right to lead others down a path that could lose them money in their XBMC quest.

Here is a quote from the Seagate Warranty; " Our warranties do not cover any problem that is caused by (a) commercial use; accident; abuse; neglect; shock; electrostatic discharge; heat or humidity beyond product specifications; improper installation; operation; maintenance or modification; or (b) any misuse contrary to the instructions in the user manual; or © loss passwords; or (d) malfunctions caused by other equipment. Our limited warranties are void if a product is returned with removed, damaged or tampered labels or any alterations (including removal of any component or external cover)."

I knew this from before. I could research others but won't since they will be the same. I still have an email from Seagate when I asked this question a few years ago. Here is the response;

"Thank you for sending your Seagate E-mail inquiry.

I understand that you will like to remove the drive from the external case, but doing that will void the warranty on the drive.
"

Seagate Warranty

I can guarantee you that all other major manufactures will follow the same business practices.
this guy just removed hitachi hd from a usb case, and hitachi still warranty the bare drive- he remove it in post #30 and he called hitachi in this post #36.

i guess that some companies do offer warranty and some companies don't offer warranty. i would think the hd inside the very tiny usb case is more neglect and abuse than when it transfer the larger pc case!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:this guy just removed hitachi hd from a usb case, and hitachi still warranty the bare drive- he remove it in post #30 and he called hitachi in this post #36.

i guess that some companies do offer warranty and some companies don't offer warranty. i would think the hd inside the very tiny usb case is more neglect and abuse than when it transfer the larger pc case!

Thanks for the link. What about this post you made where you lost money? You said you learned your lesson? But now your basing your input into this subject on evanesce's statement?

Honestly I'm highly skeptical of evanesce's inquiry.
In fact you may want to read this.

middle of the page.
g725s Wrote:Thanks for the link. What about this post you made where you lost money? You said you learned your lesson? But now your basing your input into this subject on evanesce's statement?

Honestly I'm highly skeptical of evanesce's inquiry.
yes, i did on another brand but not hitachi. i should have contacted the manufacture before i bought it. the guy i quoted did the right thing by contacted the manufacture for the info. in my opinion, i think that all manufactures should offer the warranty as long as we don't take the hd apart. for sure, we don't deserve to get money back for the case because we removed the case.
bluray Wrote:yes, i did on another brand but not hitachi. i should have contacted the manufacture before i bought it. the guy i quoted did the right thing by contacted the manufacture for the info. in my opinion, i think that all manufactures should offer the warranty as long as we don't take the hd apart. for sure, we don't deserve to get money back for the case because we removed the case.

bluray, read the actual warranty info direct from the Hitachi page I posted (#52) above. It cannot get much clearer than that. He got erroneous info from an employee then. It would never hold up in a court of law.
g725s Wrote:bluray, read the actual warranty info direct from the Hitachi page I posted (#52) above. It cannot get much clearer than that. He got erroneous info from an employee then. It would never hold up in a court of law.
i wish that i have hitachi hard drive removed from usb enclosure to verify it here- VERIFY WARRANTY STATUS

or seagate- Warranty Validation
bluray Wrote:i wish that i have hitachi hard drive removed from usb enclosure to verify it here- VERIFY WARRANTY STATUS

or seagate- Warranty Validation

Sure you could put a serial number in that web form and it might come back that it is under warranty. That is not telling them that you took a drive out of the case in those links.

Unless these companies have antiquated company software to track their product. But I highly doubt it. I would think that a company like Hitachi or Seagate (both of which I pointed you directly to the written word on the warranty), would have record that a serial number from a drive is associated with a USB drive. And your still questioning this? I've said enough, I'm done with this subject.
Holy ass-pirates!

$239.99 for a WD20EARS...

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp..._-22136514
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
thethirdnut Wrote:Holy ass-pirates!

$239.99 for a WD20EARS...

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp..._-22136514

Whoa......

Gotta be a typo boss! it's gotta beEek
the longer it takes to resume production, the more the stock gets depleted, the more the prices goes up. Then add the constant demand, which becomes a multiplier to the skyrocketing prices. I won't be surprised that it continues to go higher as people battles for the remaining stocks.
wow! Last 2 of those I picked up for less than $80
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shortage of Hard Drives Prices UP!1