Improving the picture viewing features in XBMC/Kodi. [Helix update]
(2013-02-28, 14:44)Robotica Wrote: Still some troubles displaying slideshow. See https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2294 (esspecially the mentioned ticket)
Yep - I'm sorry, I forgot to give you the whole story. The $INFO[slideshow.*] labels only work if you start them from the context menu with "Start slideshow here". I have a fix (that's the pull request you linked) that will allow them to be shown when you select "Slideshow" and "R. Slideshow" from the left hand menu, and "Recursive Slideshow" from the context menu. My fix also allows the $INFO[slideshow.*] labels to be shown when a slideshow is started from the MyPicturesDatabase addon. Right now, the only way to see the labels in a slideshow is to use "Start slideshow here" from the context menu. I had already applied the fix to my local xbmc, so it works everywhere for me - that's why I forgot to about it only working sometimes. I'm hoping that my fix will get merged soon.
Personally, all I need to be happy with the picture viewer is the capability to show double pages (comic mode).
(2013-03-04, 23:57)HeresJohnny Wrote: Personally, all I need to be happy with the picture viewer is the capability to show double pages (comic mode).

Voinage is doing some work: http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/general-vi...bmc-3.html

(2013-02-28, 18:53)sfontes Wrote:
(2013-02-28, 14:44)Robotica Wrote: Still some troubles displaying slideshow. See https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2294 (esspecially the mentioned ticket)
Yep - I'm sorry, I forgot to give you the whole story. The $INFO[slideshow.*] labels only work if you start them from the context menu with "Start slideshow here". I have a fix (that's the pull request you linked) that will allow them to be shown when you select "Slideshow" and "R. Slideshow" from the left hand menu, and "Recursive Slideshow" from the context menu. My fix also allows the $INFO[slideshow.*] labels to be shown when a slideshow is started from the MyPicturesDatabase addon. Right now, the only way to see the labels in a slideshow is to use "Start slideshow here" from the context menu. I had already applied the fix to my local xbmc, so it works everywhere for me - that's why I forgot to about it only working sometimes. I'm hoping that my fix will get merged soon.

Great, your fix is in. Hopefully skinners and addon makers adapt their slideshow.xml for better picture viewing. Confluence is also using wrong dates all over the views.
(2013-03-05, 01:03)Robotica Wrote: Voinage is doing some work: http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/general-vi...bmc-3.html

Thank you for sharing that, I've been hoping for cbr/cbz support.
(2013-03-05, 01:20)ctarwater Wrote: Thank you for sharing that, I've been hoping for cbr/cbz support.

We already have that!
(2013-03-05, 12:31)HeresJohnny Wrote:
(2013-03-05, 01:20)ctarwater Wrote: Thank you for sharing that, I've been hoping for cbr/cbz support.

We already have that!

I should have said "I've been hoping for better cbr/cbz support. Either way, I love XBMC and the amazing developers. It's been my go to for so long now.
Some of the last standing bugs are being taken care of:
- Date/time sorting on EXIF-date >> Merged in master;
- Expose all EXIF-info; Merged in master;
- Video files in listing This makes the slideshow in general way better! >> Merged in master.
- Inconsistency between show single pic and slideshow: Scaling different between show single picture and slideshow (Bug report and another one (including test set)) >> Merged in master;

Then it's waiting on the picture library work being done by Garbear (as an alternative you can use the mypicsdb. addon). Together with the much needed context menu cleanup/improvements, things will be much more logical and more uniform across pictures, music and video.

Most important improvments remaining then:
  • Better RAW support and a bug.
  • Comic mode: Give the picture viewer the capability to show double pages to have better CBR support (2-page reading andere much other stuff comicrack can do);
  • EXIF writing (esspecially for saving orientation and XMP rating and also for comics reading). An newer version of libexif would suport XMP rating and EXIF writing. See feature request.
  • Expose metadata to API's (builtins, JSON, Python): is needed to fully leverage XBMC's framework for pictures and thus give addons more possibilities to enhange the picture viewing experience in XBMC.
  • Animated GIF's: For usage as tumbnails, fanart, weather. Examples.
  • Setting and menu reorganization: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1199034
  • Better effects for pictures..
  • Nicer screensavers, some ideas:
    - Picturama by Apple
    - Windows-style screensavers might be some inspiration
    - A screensaver which pulls in data from social networks, newsfeeds and various other sources to create a “river of information” on your screen while XBMC idle. >> Released as addon
And a setting for a default screensaver together with the possibility to change the screensaver on the fly are needed aswell. And I am not sure about using an image filter, Lanczos3, in picture viewer/slideshow
And PIL is merged into master. Will this push thrive Pictures more out of the core and into the hands community devs?
(2013-03-14, 17:53)Robotica Wrote: And PIL is merged into master. Will this push thrive Pictures more out of the core and into the hands community devs?

what?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I don't know the background of this.. I wonder what the implications are
None. It was just to get PIL building again as python module so absolutely nothing has changed
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
yeah, but what's the plan? Seems to open up some possibilities...
pil has been available for years. and in use for years (see big pictures). as martijn said, nothing changed, it was just part of dependency building reorganization.
Latest update on the picture department:

For Gotham, Ulion rewrote large parts of the picture department, fixing soms long standing bugs. This also made the picture section more like the way things work in audio and video.

The last improvements remaining:
  • The picture database work by garbear can be seen in this PR.
  • EXIF writing (esspecially for saving orientation and XMP star rating and also for comics reading). See feature request, which points to a solution that can be implemented.
  • Expose pictures and it's metadata to API's (builtins, JSON, Python) and UPNP: is needed to fully leverage XBMC's framework for pictures and thus give addons more possibilities to enhange the picture viewing experience in XBMC.
    - Missing UPNP-server-support for pictures is great loss for XBMC.
    - Builtins to refresh slideshows and listings.
    - Slideshow-parameters (repeat, random, recursivly) across API's.
  • Better RAW support. This would also give Android users access to RAW--files!
  • Settings, context menu and the slideshow-OSD reorganization:
    http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1199034
  • For easily finding certain picture in a folder with a lot of picture, I think a Wallview is essential.

The list is getting shorter and shorter while solutions are getting closer and closer.
Note to myself:
- Check music, video and pictures playing the same time'
- Auto refresh when enabling/disbaling "show video's".
- Create How to API's: Input topics 1 and more
- Auto refresh directories/slideshow/listing on sysevent (like watchdog);

Regarding the last feature:
I've checked to use "Library watchdog" for this. Does anyone knows another way of doing this? This would be great for picture frames.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Improving the picture viewing features in XBMC/Kodi. [Helix update]4