[MAC] Mini 2011
Wao I get my self a MAC Mini 2011 4 my B-Day with the Intel HD 3000 card (the cheapest). I spend maybe the same amount of $ for my HTPC (Including remotes & Keyboards) and the mini is working great without the headache that Asus E35M1-I Deluxe board gave me with RAM and HD playback @ first.

XBMC (Pre-Eden) runs lean and HD 1080p runs without hiccups, not that my HTPC runs lean but the mini system was already build.

So if some is interested on a HTPC system build with browser and streaming options u can also look in to the New Mac Mini.Nod

I was going to get a mini but the inability to play some audio formats, IR issues, sleep problems, etc, wound up steering me away from it. Which sucks because I love Macs.
what kind of audio issues cause with XBMC I haven't have 1 so far.
as for IR, I use the Logitech DiNovo Mini keyboard (Bluetooth) as an XBMC remote also. I don't plan on getting the apple remote at all.

I did notice that when XBMC goes to DIM option the mini when to sleep, so I change the sleep option to 1 hr and unchecked the HDD shutdown when possible.

Agree that the Mini (particularly in the 2011 version) makes a fantastic HTPC. I have and had probably around 10 different HTPCs. An "older" Mini was my first and I make several attempts to trade it for something "better". I am always coming back to the Mini though...

IR - never heard of any issues with the Apple Remote. It just works and it does work internal and along long distances. Almost all of my other HTPCs either don't provide the distance and/or require an "ugly" antenna...

Sleep - also this surprises me, it just works and it does work out of the box without hassel

Video and audio - 99% of the things play with only some minor issues. I have seen much worse and bigger issues with some other builts...

Bottom-line, the Mini is by far not the cheapest choice and you can definitely build a more powerful system for much less money. However, form factor is fantastic, the Mini is quiet, and it works better than most other systems.

From my side, thumbs-up for the Mini!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
form factor is sick.

Mac Mini 2011
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14368271/2011-10...37_722.jpg

Habey EMS-800S
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14368271/2011-06...18_662.jpg

I can only suggest the ASRock Vision 3D series
http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.de...D%20Series
Great HTPCs
Gzapr Wrote:form factor is sick.

Mac Mini 2011
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14368271/2011-10...37_722.jpg

Habey EMS-800S
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14368271/2011-06...18_662.jpg

You can get more compact Habey:
I would like a Mac Mini for the bedroom and maybe travelling. Too expensive though.
Gzapr Wrote:what kind of audio issues cause with XBMC I haven't have 1 so far.
as for IR, I use the Logitech DiNovo Mini keyboard (Bluetooth) as an XBMC remote also. I don't plan on getting the apple remote at all.

I did notice that when XBMC goes to DIM option the mini when to sleep, so I change the sleep option to 1 hr and unchecked the HDD shutdown when possible.

Mac Mini will not do with DTS-MA and True-HD tracks what can be done under Windows.

Namely, conversion of THD to PCM for HDMI output and DTS core extraction from DTS for bitstream out.

There are lots of people complaining about remote IR issues over in Plex land and even in the Mac forum here at xbmc.org. Likewise people complaining that when it comes out of sleep that the HDMI and/or audio not working.

If I had felt it was going to do things I need it to do (play full BD rips over HDMI) then I definitely would have gotten it over a Windows based HTPC, because, I hate Windows.

It is worth pointing out that I will wind up spending about as much on my HTPC as I would have on the Mini (after I buy nicer enclosure, etc), but my HTPC has 4GB of RAM and an SSD drive and boots up almost instantly... the Mini has a slow 5400 RPM laptop drive that is difficult to replace with an SSD from what little I know about it.
Mostly in line what I am saying. True-HD is one of the few things that doesn't work and you can get an HTPC with better specs at the same or even a lower price. Surprised to hear about IR and "sleep" issues as I didn't observe them myself and about every other HTPC has...

Anyhow, for me it comes again down to the most hassel-free and among most silent HTPCs with amazing form factor. Alternative HTPCs may be better value for the specs you get.

I must have owned at least 10 HTPCs now and always come back to the Mini. Most recent example - I bought the Asrock Nano with an SSD, which I thought was even smaller and fairly inexpensive. It's not bad and I am happy, but the internal IR is a mess and it is not really silent compared to the Mini.

With all my enthusiasm - would indeed love to have an SSD in my 2011-Mini, but too much pain / hassel. Added one in my "old" Mini, which makes a real difference.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
T800 Wrote:You can get more compact Habey:

or ANTEC ISK-100
or Zotac Nano AD10
Guys, it's not about finding a compact case (that in all likelihood comes nowhere even near the quality of an apple enclosure and won't be anywhere near as silent).

It's about Macs, OS X and the general user experience.

Let's put it this way. Setting up XBMC on my big 27" iMac was a 2 minute affair, and works great (although admittedly it's not hooked up to a TV). By comparison setting it up on the HTPC has been a slow painful experience.
Any of them cases with a PicoPSU and a mobo like the Asus E35M1 will be completely silent and play everything the Mac Mini can't.

I do agree however Mac, OSX and the general user experience is vastly superior. It takes me hours to get a Windows 7 install just right, it's about 5 mins with a mac out of the box.
Hello, sorry for making my introduction here.
I've actually been thinking about getting a HTPC and I was between the MacMini and the Zotac Nano. Now I also heard about the ASRock 3D Vision.
hmm I am not the most patient man to build my own HTPC, but I never had a Mac before.

SO my question is, which of these 3 would be recommended? ASRock seems nice because then I can sell my PS3 (I really only use it to watch Blueray and 3D movies). I guess with the Zotac I can buy an external ODD.

Thanks for the help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Mini 20110