Windowed mode only way to keep XBMC from losing focus?
Sad 
If XBMC uses DirectX to do full-screen, I'm pretty sure that it is possible to stop it from losing focus and minimising to the taskbar. If it weren't possible, then gamers all over the world would be forced to kill explorer or set up extra user accounts so they could get a few minutes of uninterrupted play-time.

Also my machine is an i7 with 8GB of DDR3 RAM and a Palit GTX 260 GPU with 216 shader cores. So why am unable to use the full-window mode without stuttering video performance?

Surely there must be a sensible solution to this, without having to look outside XBMC? I've been using XBMC since I had it on my original XBOX and I'd much rather use the nice interface and features than rely on external players.
I have a Windows HTPC with an ATOM processor with 2 GB of RAM and I have no problems in windowed or full screen. I also never lose focus in full screen when there is a pop up for an update or anything.
I have multiple monitors and use XBMC on one monitor while doing stuff on the others all the time. I'm actually watching a movie as I type this.

If you use an XBOX 360 controller to control XBMC, than you don't have to worry about losing focus as the controller always directly communicates with XBMC, no matter what else you're doing on the PC at the time.
Hi all

I have windows 7 and it loses focus here and there found out its the ati driver which I can not prevent and loses focus now an again and it's a pain.

This is a new install and a new sandybridge pc and all up to date. I hope and think there should be a safe guard placed in the new xbmc 11 to stop this from happening as like the other post says it never happens in games.

I am sure somthing could be done to stop xbmc from losing focus and jut because a developer does jot get this problem does not mean others won't I know alot of people who have this problem, theres even lots of posts about it on here.

Is there going to be anything put in place in the new xbmc to stop this from happening ?

Thanks
Star 
I had a coder friend try and knock together a simple tray-app for me that would automatically bring XBMC back the moment it lost focus (unless the user pressed ALT+TAB or WIN). He gave it a go then said that it didn't seem to be possible because he couldn't find anything to hook into when XBMC was in full-screen mode.

It occurs to be though, that the XBMC team could easily put such code into the program itself.
Sounds like this guy has a solution maybe he would share his loader program

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116206
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Thanks for the link. As far as I can tell his program requires user interaction to keep XBMC on screen. I've sent a message to ask though.
Does it not do this when the syystem tray pops up a message?
Have a look here to disable them http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/114...loons.html
Avigrace Wrote:Does it not do this when the syystem tray pops up a message?
Have a look here to disable them http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/114...loons.html

That I'm actually unsure of because when it happens, I don't see a balloon tip on the system tray. It could be something else entirely.

I took a look at the link, and while there are two .reg files to enable and disable balloon tips, I'm not sure that it would do me any good. I'll have to see if EventGhost can use those .reg files when I start/stop tab in/out of XBMC. It could be worth a shot, sure, but I'm not certain that it would solve the problem that myself and others are having.

Edit: Registry modifications using EventGhost don't seem to work, on my system at least. I tried standard and elevated instances of EventGhost and it wouldn't write a key to the regsitry.
Edit: Scratch that, I managed to get it to write keys. I'm still dubious as to whether this will fix the problem. Also there's the issue of not being able to get EG to tell the difference between XBMC running in a window playing some tunes while I work (in which case I'd want notifications), and it running full-screen.
is this fixed in xbmc 11 ?
meridius Wrote:is this fixed in xbmc 11 ?

No, this isn't an XBMC problem. If you want the fastest graphics performance it's up to you to not run apps that steal the focus. If you can't/won't do this then run in fullscreen window mode. In most cases this works perfectly well.

JR
I run xbmc in full screen (true full screen) and xbmc never looses focus. I did have it in "use a full screen window rather than a true full screen" which caused xbmc to occasionally lose focus, but now it works perfect. I don't understand the problem, why can't you use true full screen?
I've an Acer R3700 running Win 7 X64 and never had this problem until I did a factory restore, then XBMC started to minimise once or twice per film. My suspicion is updater checking programs. I have Google and Adobe updaters running. I looked into task scheduler and although they are scheduled to start every day at a certain time they are then scheduled to repeat every hour!. I've edited these to run once only in the early hours of the morning. I'll let you know if this cures things.
tintin123, have you been able to solve this? I also experience random minimizing when in true fullscreen, or if I switch to windowed fullscreen, the taskbar will appear in front of the XBMC window and I have to click to get it back in focus.
Nope the issue is not resolved. The annoying thing is that out of the box my Revo 3700 Win 7 64 with Eden worked absolutely fine. I then got a virus of some sort which I had trouble removing so did a factory restore. After that I've had this problem. Loses focus a couple of times during a movie on average. Loaded a codec pack and Shark007 and with Lav filter I can get smooth playback at 1080 in Windows Media Player and WMC, but lipsync is all over the place and almost impossible to get right, whereas XBMC is fine and you can adjust per movie if necessary. Tried Openelec for XBMC but my TV is not recognised correctly and my native screen resolution is not available (editing xconf files is an option but it shouldn't be that hard). I seem to be frustrated which ever way I try and go.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windowed mode only way to keep XBMC from losing focus?0