• 10(current)
3D Full SBS (3840x1080)... Success!
Couldn't get pgs subs to work externally. Tried using the .mks extension as well as .pgs and .sub. With .sub the movie would show an unknown sub track but wouldn't display anything. Muxing the subs using MKVMerge worked great. Used the subs from a MakeMKV rip of the 3D copy (frame packed) and muxed just the subs into the SBS version from DVDFab. A little more work than just grabbing an srt file but it allows for multiple sub tracks and I know there won't be any surprise commercials or anything like that. Did this testing using 13.2 Gotham. Might be a little different with Helix.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
well, srt subs are just text and it'll look like how you want it to look like (according to settings in Kodi). PGS otoh are graphics (like idx/dvd subs, just with smooth edges), where the position, size, colour and font is defined by the bluray author. The benefit of having PGS f.e. is that Na'vi subs in Avatar will have the correct Avatar font and not just be Arial. Due to their nature of being pure text, srt subs ofc also look crisp, but position might sometimes be off (I remember a movie where subs where matched to the screen position of the actors whic was kind of nice) or you might miss other small things. But this is getting way to OT here Smile
Hi.

I followed the guide and ripped to 4k mkv 50% SBS.

I can't seem to not compress it a lot?

I typed in 999999 under custom and it peeks at 50000bits/s I think it was. So a file of 40gig only becomes 36giga ? I would think the base 40gig file would end up 60gig?

I can display the 3820x2160p SBS in kodi.
(2014-11-12, 15:32)Immersive Wrote: Hi.

I followed the guide and ripped to 4k mkv 50% SBS.

I can't seem to not compress it a lot?

I typed in 999999 under custom and it peeks at 50000bits/s I think it was. So a file of 40gig only becomes 36giga ? I would think the base 40gig file would end up 60gig?

I can display the 3820x2160p SBS in kodi.

That's probably about right. DVDFab seems to always compress at least a little. You might want to see what your playback performance looks like with those settings though. I did one at full sbs with the same bits/pixel and got a lot of dropped frames on playback. I think the software decode just couldn't handle it. The .5 rate played great and honestly I couldn't see any difference in video quality. Also results in a smaller file size of course.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
So there's no way to not compress? Brazer seemed to get a 63gig file out of avatar?
(2014-11-12, 15:47)Immersive Wrote: So there's no way to not compress? Brazer seemed to get a 63gig file out of avatar?

But that was in full sbs wasn't it? I can't seem to find the post right now.

Honestly I've never been sure one way or the other about how much compression I'm getting. The file sizes just never seem to be quite as big as I expected. But it's hard to figure exactly what it should be if you're comparing an output file with audio and sub tracks in a single language with the original file with multiple audio and sub tracks in many languages. Maybe someone else knows a way to compute the compression ratio exactly.
4k mkv 3d with SBS 50%.

I looked into the file with makemkv and it was 36gig or so. Just the video.
I'm ripping at the moment so I can't look at Fab settings but from memory (just a second, let me take a sip of geritol),

If smaller size is more important than quality to you, this guide isn't for you so make your selections accordingly.

Before doing anything, select common settings.
Select every option that has anything to do with Slower But Higher Quality on every tab.
Obviously, select the ripper tab and drop your iso into it assuming you've already ripped your disc 1:1 to iso.
3D format/4k 3D MKV.
You may have to select BD50 instead of BD25 if the option is available.
Pop up to turn off cuda and use software appears. Ok. This is where your processor comes into play and your GPU surrenders.

Advanced Settings:
Until hardware is comfortable with h265, use h264.
High Quality 2 Pass
Custom resolution/type the 99999. The bitrate slider will show about 38. Slide it the rest of the way to 50. If you look at the fab window under this, you will see the file size change after saving.
Check audio box for default audio, is what I think it's labeled. This is important if you want to get DTSHDMA vs. DTS. Don't select any of the AC and other alternatives in the radio button.
Select half side by side or TAB. I use SBS. I wouldn't pay attention to it only offering half instead of full at this point because when it's done it's full.
Subtitles direct render to video. Extracting leaves you with a couple files that are a mess to work with. I suggest you get subs from subscene or the likes. You can name the srt exactly as the movie and drop it the movie folder or mux it into the mkv using mkvmerge. Doesn't matter.
Save it.

By default the main movie will already be selected. Leave the radio button alone.
Next to that will be a L or R. Leave it alone. You can't change it anyway. Of all my 3D rips, only one was rendered the wrong side 1st. You can check it during playback by turning your glasses upside down. If indeed it did rip the wrong side 1st, run the completed mkv through mkvmerge and there is a setting to flip the L and R. It only takes a few minutes. For titles that use multi discs, you can add the 1st mkv rip and append the 2nd for 1 big mkv using mkvmerge and that too takes only a few minutes.
Select the audio radio button and make your selections. By default, depending what you chose in common settings, your language will be preselected. I add a check to preserve 5.1 or 7.1.
Same with the subtitle radio button and I select forced only for my language. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't in which case d/l it from the web. Subs for foreign parts only are common. They are usually .srt and you don't need to do anything to them. They render in 2D and 3D perfectly. PGS subs are higher quality from my reading but I've no idea how to use or extract them.
Select the output folder. I try to keep the iso on my ssd and rip the mkv to the ssd so other drives need not run and can spin down during the process.
Press start and be prepared to wait hours depending on what you're ripping. 10-24 is common. My overclocked i7 encoding Fps settles in around 7 and determines the time.
Rename the completed .mkv and enjoy.

Using this method is how/why a 43G input ended up at 63G output with extra audios, trailers, subs, etc stripped out. Your mileage may vary. My eyes see higher quality. Yours may not and that would have EVERYTHING to do with what sort of panel you are watching on and it's settings. You will not see any difference on a phone or a 19" panel. However, if you are watching on a 50" or larger......... A display using 120Hz vs. 240Hz may show significant difference? I use these rips on a 240. Haven't obtained a 4k yet but I see a difference. I can only imagine how it might look on an actual 4k at this time. On a side note, I see lots of criticism regarding what is commonly known as the dreaded 'Soap opera effect'. I bet those folks gawked when color TV was introduced and continued to fondle their B/W's and untangle VCR tapes. I highly suggest you enable the dreaded soap opera effect on your panels (smooth) and watch one of these high quality 3D rips. I guarantee, you will never look back and comments regarding not seeing any difference from lower quality rips will most likely be shocked.

If anyone has experimented with alternatives, by all means post your results and share. Above all, have fun. It's a hobby : )
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
What is Soap Opera Effect?
What is Soap Opera Effect?

Motion blur/judder etc. If you like the grainy look of a movie, then don't use soap opera settings. If you prefer to feel like you are standing on the set during filming, then use it.
From what I understand, the panel will guess what the next frame will look like before the frame actually renders and this is why the picture is so much clearer. This also helps immensely during panning scenes and fast moving scenes. Ever lose the ball watching sports? Pay attention to the opening scenes of Cowboys and Aliens or The Wrestler. It should be smooth as silk as the camera pans with no frame drops, judder, or distort of any kind.

The day I discovered this, after owning my panel for years, my jaw dropped.

I've read all the negative input. I have no idea what planet these folks live on?

On my old Samsung UN55C8000 and many other panels:
Mode standard
Backlight 20
Contrast 100
Brightness 45
Sharpness 100

Advanced:
Black tone off
Dynamic contrast Medium
Edge enhancement on
Led Motion Plus off

Picture options:
Color tone normal
**AUTO MOTION PLUS** ((SMOOTH))
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Thanks Brazen. I will try again. I'm watching on a 120" wide scope screen so quality is prio nr1!

If done right my 40gig ISO should end around 60gig mkv.

Edit: typing in bitrate 99999 it Maxes at 50.000kbps and output side is 36.5gig. Bits/pixel is 0.5 which is max allowed.

Source size is 36.7gig I just checked with makemkv
If done right my 40gig ISO should end around 60gig mkv.

Not necessarily.
The increase example was for the Transformers title I posted a couple pages back.
I don't understand completely why that one gained so much and others don't?
Sometimes I see the encode increase from the original significantly, other times only slightly.
Hercules encode only ended up 100 MB larger but take into account it's larger with extra audio, trailers, subs, etc removed so the actual gain would be the sum of those plus the 100 MB.
What's important is 3840x2160 or so. Many times 2160 will be 1600 which is still double the original rip at 800.
I would consider lower quality 3840x1080 which is what this thread is all about and how it has evolved to where it is which is what I'm sharing.
Imo, lower quality 3D encodes pass themselves off as high quality because when you look at the details they are 1920x1080.
In the Kodi Library it will list as 1080p. After the new encode it will list as 2160p.
You can also play in Media Player Classic, right click as it's playing and verify the DTSHDMA or audio you selected and the video resolution are correct. You can get many other details in properties. I had problems retaining DTSHDMA and only got DTS in the past so I freak out every time I encode to make sure the mistake wasn't repeated!
But remember, we're working with 3D so that number gets divided in half..... half for one eye, half for the other eye.
Imo, the object is to get 100% in 1 eye and 100% in the other eye as well AND to do this quality gain without losing overall quality by reducing encode size while it's being done.
If anyone knows of a way to verify that reducing size does not affect what you actually see, please share. Personally, I'm saving all that experimenting for h265 when it's ready.
I ASSUME that after encoding in this fashion, the mkv file is larger than the original disc (even without extras) because extra information is being encoded for each eye. I also ASSUME standalone players do not add this extra info on the fly if at all. I also ASSUME and PRESUME their is 0 loss in quality using this method even though the rule of thumb is anytime you encode you degrade. My eye is my confirmation. You too can confirm. Play a title using your present rip method. Pause the title. Skip or forward until you find a comfortable scene your eye can distinguish clearly. Are blacks black? Any ghosting? Any fuzzy stuff? Artifacts? Etc. Take a screenshot. Now encode this method. Go to the same frame time you noted earlier for comparison. Take a screenshot. Unfortunately, you will see 2 SBS or TAB but that's ok. Put the old shot next to the new one. Compare them on the display. Amazing huh?
Thus, 3840x2160 divided in half for each eye equals 1920x1080 a piece and afaik, it doesn't get any better than this....... yet.

I will try and run this one it will take 16 hours I think. I'll try a 45gig tomorrow.

Edit: I just checked another 3d movie source file 45gig or so and output is 60gig on this one. Running that now finished in 24 hours Lol 5-6fps...
Doh. Windows reset during the night so 12 hours encode lost!
I've read this thread by chance. I was searching info about a way to implement full HD 3D in my A/V system.
I own one of the latest plasma panel display television set, a Panasonic TX-P42GT60 (the GT series - made exclusively for european markets - stays in the middle range between the budget ST and the top VT). These television sets can do full HD 3D using a set of active glasses (shutter).
My HTPC rig outputs to my Panny at 1920x1080.
If I encode my movie in full SBS I will have, as a result, a typical H.264/H.265 MKV file with 3840x1080 resolution.
Now her is my doubt.
If I have my HTPC set to 1920x1080, the above file playback will be obviously downsized to fit the actual resolution: two screens side-by-side, each with (1920/2=960)x1080 resolution.
And now my question: what is the sense of encoding a movie to full SBS @ 3840 pixels when the display is not capable to fit the video without downsizing it? Even if my TV combines the two sides of the movie, it will still remain at 960x1080. Or am I wrong?
In my opinion the only way to get full HD 3D is:
1) buying a 4K TV that supports 3840 horizontal resolution, or
2) install in my HTPC a Blu-Ray unit, along with MakeMKV or AnyDVD and a 3D BD player (TotalMediaTheatre or PowerDVD) to achieve a real, full MVC decoding.
Please, correct me if I'm wrong with these.
Many, many thanks for your kind attention,
Leo.
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ - FCH: AMD A88X "Bolton-D4" | APU: AMD "Kaveri" A8-7600 with Radeon R7 graphics | RAM: 8GiB DDR3-2133 | SSD: mSATA Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | HDD: 5 x 500GB 2.5" Hitachi Travelstar (two-way mirror) | DVB-T Tuner: AVerMedia AVerTV Volar HD PRO | O.S.: MS-Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3D Full SBS (3840x1080)... Success!0