DTS Core Audio Drop and Video Playback Studder
Good day,

I'm fairly new at the XBMC scene but hoping I can get some guidance to some issues I've been having.

First issues, when playing back a movie that has DTS Core I've been getting a fair amount of audio drops.
Second issues, I've also been getting video playback studdering.

I'm running my laptop via HDMI to a DTS-MA receiver (Marantz SR8002). Video display is a projector (PT AE 4000)

The laptop that I'm using is a Dell XPS, with an I3, 8gig Ram, 64 bit W7, GeForce GT420M video/sound card.

On the XBMC setting for video I have under system, video settings, playback:
- render methond - Auto Detect
- allow hardware acceleration (DXVA2) - off
- adjust display refresh rate to match video - off
- pause during refresh rate - off
- sync playback to display - off
- A/V sync method - not able to adjust

Under system, system, video output:
- Full Screen #1
- resolution 1920x1080
- use a full screen window rather than a true full screen - off

Under system, system, audio output:
- Audio output - HDMI
- speaker config - 7.1
- boost volume on downmix - off
- ALL decodes - ON
- Use exclusive mode - off
- Audio output devise - SR8002 (recognizes the receiver)
- pass though output device - error - no divices found

I've followed the thread "Bitstream TrueHD/DTS-MA without external player?".
My receiver is decoding all codecs but I then run into the audio dropping.

I'm hoping its just a simple fix but a little help would be appreciated if I'm missing something.

Thanks again guys,

Steve
Streaker76 Wrote:Good day,

I'm fairly new at the XBMC scene but hoping I can get some guidance to some issues I've been having.

First issues, when playing back a movie that has DTS Core I've been getting a fair amount of audio drops.
Second issues, I've also been getting video playback studdering.

I'm running my laptop via HDMI to a DTS-MA receiver (Marantz SR8002). Video display is a projector (PT AE 4000)

The laptop that I'm using is a Dell XPS, with an I3, 8gig Ram, 64 bit W7, GeForce GT420M video/sound card.

On the XBMC setting for video I have under system, video settings, playback:
- render methond - Auto Detect
- allow hardware acceleration (DXVA2) - off
- adjust display refresh rate to match video - off
- pause during refresh rate - off
- sync playback to display - off
- A/V sync method - not able to adjust

Under system, system, video output:
- Full Screen #1
- resolution 1920x1080
- use a full screen window rather than a true full screen - off

Under system, system, audio output:
- Audio output - HDMI
- speaker config - 7.1
- boost volume on downmix - off
- ALL decodes - ON
- Use exclusive mode - off
- Audio output devise - SR8002 (recognizes the receiver)
- pass though output device - error - no divices found

I've followed the thread "Bitstream TrueHD/DTS-MA without external player?".

I'm hoping its just a simple fix but a little help would be appreciated if I'm missing something.

Thanks again guys,

Steve
Steve - I assume you are using the HD 'development' build from July. While I appreciate some users are achieving playback from this build others aren't - yourself obviously included - by the way I get the same audio drop-outs. Until the AE Branch is officially released you are unlikely to see newer builds (which may or may not resolve your/our issue), unless you build yourself from the git repository.

The reason you haven't seen an official build is that the code isn't deemed to be robust enough for open distribution - see the Audio Engine thread in Development section for further info.

I can understand users desire to have integrated HD Audio playback (hell I would like it sooner rather later myself), but at this time it is still in development.

My opinion - if you want HD Audio, either use an external player, or try the DSPlayer builds, until AE branch is ready for merge with the main branch and becomes available in the nightly builds - or move to a current nightly build and forego HD Audio for core playback only.

No solution easy or otherwise at the moment I'm afraid.
I've played around some more with the XBMC settings and still having major issues with DTS MA / TRUE and DTS Core playback. Still numerous issues with audio dropping that can be almost unwatchable. Any other options that can be made to solve this issues. Is it my computerHuh Not sure I understand build fromt he git repository?
Streaker76 Wrote:I've played around some more with the XBMC settings and still having major issues with DTS MA / TRUE and DTS Core playback. Still numerous issues with audio dropping that can be almost unwatchable. Any other options that can be made to solve this issues. Is it my computerHuh Not sure I understand build fromt he git repository?
Steve

The build you are using is (I'm assuming its the July AE build) - like any other developement build - precisely that a test build. These numerous issues aren't likely to be resolved either by any tweaking, downloading new drivers or changing power settings, there is obviously coding issues that will only be resolved by the development team - they may already have been resolved, but without an updated version, these problems will remain with that build.

The git repository is the area where the development teams commit changes to code and newer 'cutting edge' versions can be built by users. But they are not for those wanting a 'consumer' experience and at times are likely to break more than they fix.

There is a reason why the Audio Engine branch hasn't been made public - its not ready.

Consider either using an external player - called from xbmc, reinstall the current stable version Dharma 10.1, or one of the nightly builds from here http://xbmc.org/download/ (see cautionary note).
Ok. I've reinstalled the XBMC and wanted to know a little more about the external player within XBMC. I've browsed and noticed this link below
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/06/...r-in-xbmc/

Does this give me the ability to bitstream the audio to a receiver? It seems like a well guided step by step site.

thanks for the help.
That guide should be pretty good. Another option is to rip the hd audio to flac. Then you can use the xbmc internal player with no problem at all.
Ok i followed the link for the external player and installed the MPC HC.

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\MPC HomeCinema\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="mkv" filename="."xbmc movies laptop." player="MPC-HC"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

How do i know that the external player is working. When I open a movie from XBMC I don't know if the actual MPC HC is open. I played back a movie that had the True DD and still got audio drops.

Again I really appreciate the help.

Also how do I add multiple file types. IE m2ts files... would i write it like "mkv/m2ts" separate with a forward slash?
Here is a copy of my playercorefactory - obviously changes will have to be made to the players path. There is also no need for a 'filename' rule - this is used to only identify and play files of a certain value - ie only those with 1080p etc in the title, all other files to be played by the internal player. If you are going to play all mkv's and m2ts files regardless, then there is no need for it.

Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<filename>C:\Program Files\Media Player Classic - Home Cinema\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /play /close</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="m2ts|ts|mkv" player="MPC-HC" />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

You should then place this file in the correct location which is c:\users\username\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata - the AppData folder is a hidden folder by default, so if you are unable to locate it go to Control Panel\Folder Options\View and check the box to 'show hidden files, folders and drives'.

Placing this file in the correct directory will call mpc-hc as the default player - it should be clear whether this is functioning properly or not, as xbmc will attempt to close out and re-open mpc-hc - alternatively, right click on the file, or use your remote to open the context menu and it should show play options - one of which should be mpc-hc (default).

Obviously all of this depends on a correctly configured and working copy of mpc-hc.

Using an mce remote couldn't be simpler, mpc-hc is by and large set up to carry out the basic playback functions. The only thing I found that I had to add was a command to exit after stop and return to xbmc, just as if we were using the default DVDplayer.

Open up mpc-hc and go to View -> Options. Under Player go to Keys. Here you will see a list of all the commands for mpc-hc and what keys control. If you scroll to the right you will see the App Command column which shows if any Apps have been assigned to the respective command.

Right now we just want to focus on the basic commands which would be Play, Pause, Stop, Exit, Next (skip chapter forward) and Previous (skip chapter previous). By default you will see that MPC already has App Commands assigned to most of these commands, the only one that is missing is Exit. When I hit the stop button I want mpc-hc to exit and go back into xbmc, so I assign the App Command MEDIA_STOP. (thanks to DBone at mediasmartserver.net for the info)

One other feature you might want enabled with MPC is the ability to resume where you left off. While still in the Options screen go to Miscellaneous and check “Remember DVD position” and “Remember File Position” (thanks for the tip thejulianath20).

However with this configuration you don't get asked whether you want to resume it just does automatically

Happy tinkering.
You will know if mpc-hc is being used. You should see your desktop briefly while mpc launches. Also if you have mpc set (as it is by default, I believe) to show an image when it launches, you will see that as well. Plus the mpc-hc osd has a much different look than an xbmc one.
Streaker76 Wrote:I've followed the thread "Bitstream TrueHD/DTS-MA without external player?".
Steve
if you haven't try this, it might be something to try. it doesn't require external player to playback bd iso/m2ts/mkv and index.bdmv on bd-rom with dts-hd and truehd. here is a link-blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd. i use this guide on 4 htpc's, and it can bitstream fine!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:if you haven't try this, it might be something to try. it doesn't require external player to playback bd iso/m2ts/mkv and index.bdmv on bd-rom with dts-hd and truehd. here is a link-blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd. i use this guide on 4 htpc's, and it can bitstream fine!
Reading and comprehension isn't really your strong point - is it? Thank goodness others are seeing this as well. He's already followed and tried that build and has problems, read his post for goodness sake. He's also already tried your smoke and mirrors, new drivers and power options, now please stop hijacking threads and allow users the opportunity to try other means.
Just to clarify before I start tinkering again. I have been using the XBMC launch from the "Bitstream TrueHD/DTS-MA without external player?" thread. Do I want to stick to the original XBMC launch that was initially downloaded? I hope that makes sense?
Streaker76 Wrote:Just to clarify before I start tinkering again. I have been using the XBMC launch from the "Bitstream TrueHD/DTS-MA without external player?" thread. Do I want to stick to the original XBMC launch that was initially downloaded? I hope that makes sense?
Steve - up to you nothing wrong trying it if you want to keep access to it, the build you have may have to many other foibles. Personally I use nightly builds - not ever one perhaps once a month - just to see what's changed.
Streaker76 Wrote:Just to clarify before I start tinkering again. I have been using the XBMC launch from the "Bitstream TrueHD/DTS-MA without external player?" thread.
did you do this- blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd?

Streaker76 Wrote:Do I want to stick to the original XBMC launch that was initially downloaded? I hope that makes sense?
if you're planing to use external player, you can simply use dharma for that.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\Media Player Classic - Home Cinema\mpc-hc.exe</filename> <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /play /close</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="m2ts|ts|mkv" player="MPC-HC" />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

K i copied the one you had and changed the path of the player. I then tried opening XBMC and a mkv movie and NOTHING. Still don't get the external player to open.

The playercorefactory has been saved in the right path: C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\userdata

Not sure what else I'm missing or what I'm doing incorrectly. Do any settings in the XBMC have to be changed?

I've tried a couple of the nightly builds and no changes to the audio.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS Core Audio Drop and Video Playback Studder0