Q: Test video files for troubleshooting purposes
Memphiz Wrote:Strange. Do you have AC3 capable receiver and DTS capable receiver set in system settings? The only thing i can imagine that it stutters is that atv2 has to mixdown the aac multichannel audio into a stereo audio or something.

BTW - crashlog is only needed when a crash occured (and your link doesn't even link to a correct crash log Big Grin)

Memphiz I just checked everything again, emptied advancesettings.xml, double checked audio settings both in GUI as well in guisettings.xml - all seems correct but both videos are still heavily buffering.

Doesn't have anyone the nightly files from October 17th and before? I would love to compare the performance against the latest nightlies if that does any better Sad

And if anyone can download those two files we were discussing here and test the performance I would as well appreciate it.

Thanks,
-= R.
I just installed the version from Oct-17th (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=113419).

The video play experience by the first file (MP4) is way better than compared to latest nightly builds (tried every one of those that are still available today on regular servers); less stuttering, more smoothness in the play and good sound however time to time it still buffers (tried SMB, NFS, AFP).

The second file (H.264) is buffering no matter of what Smile

So at this moment I am just concluding:
  • Some changes after Oct-17 do impact the videoplay performance
  • Are those two files any good for those benchmarks? Smile

Any suggestions, comments, help would be welcomed - just trying to find out where the dog is hidden.

Cheers,
R.
rudolfk Wrote:So at this moment I am just concluding:
  • Some changes after Oct-17 do impact the videoplay performance
  • Are those two files any good for those benchmarks? Smile

- Don't know about recent changes
- BigBuckBunny played flawlessly at my side, before I upgraded ATV2 to recent iOS. Tested with Synology 2009 NAS, AirPortExtreme router, analog audio (TV speakers), SMB connection over WiFi.

You may try to play it through Apple interface from iTunes.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:- Don't know about recent changes
- BigBuckBunny played flawlessly at my side, before I upgraded ATV2 to recent iOS. Tested with Synology 2009 NAS, AirPortExtreme router, analog audio (TV speakers), SMB connection over WiFi.

You may try to play it through Apple interface from iTunes.

Pecinko you said played before you upgraded what is your iOS version now? Maybe I've the same issue ...

R.
rudolfk Wrote:Pecinko you said played before you upgraded what is your iOS version now? Maybe I've the same issue ...

R.

Whatever is the Apple latest. Waiting for JB so I can put XBMC again.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:Whatever is the Apple latest. Waiting for JB so I can put XBMC again.

Partial Heureka by me - if I change the Audio Output to Optical/Coax instead of HDMI I do get a significant improvement in the movie play! Almost no bufferring or stuttering (both by latest nightlies/and old ones)

Though - my ATV is not connected via Optical/Coax to my receiver - it is HDMI. Could there be something wrong with the audio libraries?

R.
rudolfk Wrote:Partial Heureka by me - if I change the Audio Output to Optical/Coax instead of HDMI I do get a significant improvement in the movie play! Almost no bufferring or stuttering (both by latest nightlies/and old ones)

Though - my ATV is not connected via Optical/Coax to my receiver - it is HDMI. Could there be something wrong with the audio libraries?

R.

Can you make us two log files of you using the ATV2 under the two settings? One where it's set to HDMI and you have buffering, and one where you set it to Optical/coax and have less buffering.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...og_for_iOS
Ned Scott Wrote:Can you make us two log files of you using the ATV2 under the two settings? One where it's set to HDMI and you have buffering, and one where you set it to Optical/coax and have less buffering.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...og_for_iOS

Hi Ned,

here are the logs. I made rather 3 to show the difference when you switch that setting directly while playing the movie:

All three examples:
  • H.264 (Big Buck Bunny 720p Surround): MOV H264 video, AAC surround sound
  • Nightly build: 5th November (xbmc-20111105-1b2b245-master-atv2.deb)
  • ATV iOS: 4.3 (2557)
  • Skin: Default
  • Connection: Over cable, gigabit network to NAS Synology DS209 using smb network protocol, firmware 3.2-1944 (same results with nfs or afp)
  • Router: Belkin F5D8235-4 N+ Wireless Router

1. With HDMI as audio output enabled: http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/729727/
  2. With Optical/Coax enabled: http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/729728/
  3. Switch done directly within the movie (Line 2260) http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/729729/

What I am able to tell quickly is that within log 1 & 3 (before the switch to Optical) I see plenty of those errors (CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity - was:24476311.416895, should be:24363113.250228, error:-113198.166667).
While in log 2 & 3 (after the switch around line 2260) I don't see that error anymore just time to time those: (CDVDPlayerAudio:: Duplicating 1 packet(s) of 32.00 ms duration)

And last thing while playing that movie with HDMI enabled I do get FPS 14-18 and load on CPU 95%+-2 but with Optical/Coax it does FPS 23-25 and CPU load of 76-84%.

Hope it helps Ned if you would need anything else around this I would help as much as I can,
Rudy
very interesting ... we should give this as a possible solution to al users with buffering problems ... and see if it fixes their problems too.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Q: Test video files for troubleshooting purposes0