Thinking of returning...
my ATV2. After hours of looking for solutions to my buffering issues. Trying various configs, wireless, wired, different audio selections, skins. Practically every forum post I could read. I have come to the conclusion that ATV2 simply will not play any of my DIVX files that I have encoded with 5.1 audio.

To clarify I don't care about the surround sound it just seems to be one of the issues I have discovered via the various forums, along with the DIVX container itself.

So, I still have a day or two to restore the ATV2 and return it to the shop. Can anyone convince me otherwise? Should I sit tight and wait for an update that will solve this issue?

Re-encoding all of my DVDs is not an option. I have twins on the way in about four weeks so time will be at a premium.

Thanks
C
Twins? You won't have time to use it Smile Wait until you get your free time back, and then use your hover car to go down to the local shop Wink

If you're trying to play Divx HD files, the ATV will struggle - not all 720 files are alike, so you may get some to work and some not so much.
I know right? ha ha. Here is a question then. If I was to convert the files in question from a divx to MKV it should fix the problem, yes? By doing so, will I in effect, be degrading the quality of the video even further?
themagicrat Wrote:I know right? ha ha. Here is a question then. If I was to convert the files in question from a divx to MKV it should fix the problem, yes? By doing so, will I in effect, be degrading the quality of the video even further?

MKV is just a container for a file (it can have any type of encoded video file within) - what you want is to convert them to h.264 from DivX.

As for quality loss, I'm not sure - someone else smarter than me could answer better. I would think not, depending on the encoding settings, but I don't know for sure.

Edit: Forgot to mention, that yes, h.264 files are hardware accelerated by the ATV and you'll have no issues playing them.
themagicrat Wrote:I know right? ha ha. Here is a question then. If I was to convert the files in question from a divx to MKV it should fix the problem, yes? By doing so, will I in effect, be degrading the quality of the video even further?

Return it ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thinking of returning...0