Great Gift (AMD A8-3850)
RichH Wrote:I cannot quote on power consumption etc as I have no way to really test that, same as with benchmarks. If someone can suggest some free software that lets you do some checks, I would be more than happy to run them and post results here. I am using a similar setup to what was posted at the start with the A8 APU and so far it is working really well. Movie \ music playback is all good with no problems at all. I mentioned the stock APU Fan, but 90% of the time the system is silent.

I went for this as I was looking at a low cost low heat option and a CPU \ GPU in one chip = 1 less heat source. I might stick another GPU in the case later thou and run them in crossfire if I end up gaming on the PC too.
you can try this- speedfan
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
or HWMonitor
question for you all, I am finalising my new build and was originally going to go the intel route with the following;

MOBO - Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3 H67
CPU - Intel Pentium G850 2.9GHz Socket 1155 3MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
GPU - Asus ENGT520 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP) Nvidia GT520 Graphics Card

but wondering if I would be better off with just the A8-3850 with its built in graphics. Has anyone tested it with 1080p and 24fps stuff (I was going to go i3 originally but canned that idea due to the frame drop issue).

Can you guys give me an idea of performance wise how this cpu compares with the intel I was going to use ?

ta
M
were actually waiting for this type of info too,,,
granted its not fully fleshed out but this thread doesnt look promising...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/3214...deo-issues
cant base your decision on that threat,,,
user doesnt even provide which HDTV he's using,,,
example, HTPC's + LCD 120Hz HDTV's dont get along,,,
trust me, i know that,,,
i had to disable the 120Hz feature of my Samsung HDTV to get %100 stutter free playback!!

another issue might be his NAS,,,
is he trying to play 1080P via wifi?
or its a wired conection?
he should try to play the faulty MKV locally on his C drive and see if it play well,,,
mgdew Wrote:granted its not fully fleshed out but this thread doesnt look promising...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/3214...deo-issues
from reading the thread, he must not configured his htpc and xbmc properly. it might be user error!

if it can compete with amd hd6670 according to these tests- post #84. it should be able to handle xbmc with ease.

if my amd E350 (1.6ghz) with hd6310 can handle xbmc, the amd a8-3850 (2.9ghz) with hd6550d should be able to handle it too.

these guys seems to be very happy with their a8-3850-
-Very nice CPU..., September 29, 2011

-AMD Fusion based hardware for a HTPC?
eskro Wrote:cant base your decision on that threat,,,
user doesnt even provide which HDTV he's using,,,
example, HTPC's + LCD 120Hz HDTV's dont get along,,,
trust me, i know that,,,
i had to disable the 120Hz feature of my Samsung HDTV to get %100 stutter free playback!!

another issue might be his NAS,,,
is he trying to play 1080P via wifi?
or its a wired conection?
he should try to play the faulty MKV locally on his C drive and see if it play well,,,
+1, and i agreed. too many variations that can stop xbmc from playback fluently.
as i said in post #36
his HDTV might be the culprit!

HTPC's + LCD 120Hz HDTV's dont get along!!
i had to disable the 120Hz feature of my Samsung HDTV
to get %100 stutter free playback!!
aslong as the A8-3850 doesnt have INTEL SandyBridge 24p issue,
should be good to go!
So is anyone going to give me this as a GREAT GIFT? I can give you my address.... Rofl
Ok so for a quick newb question, with just basic knowledge of CPU, mb and gpu. This APU has an onboard gpu as opposed to a gpu card or gpu onboard the mb? Furthermore, if that is the case and I wanted to add a video card later, it would be limited to a Radeon card?
#1-yes

#2-no
one918 Wrote:Ok so for a quick newb question, with just basic knowledge of CPU, mb and gpu. This APU has an onboard gpu as opposed to a gpu card or gpu onboard the mb? Furthermore, if that is the case and I wanted to add a video card later, it would be limited to a Radeon card?
this apu has a very good hd6550d igpu in it, and it is equivalent to hd6570 gpu. you can add any gpu (nvidia/amd) as you wish in the future, and i doubt that you will need a gpu. unless, you are a hardcore gamer!
ok, I see that there are lot of questions about the cpu, so here are some information. Bluray and full hd movies are smooth, without any interuptions or problems. Latest Elder Scrolls Skyrim game was played with medium details and resolution of 1600x900 which was very playable and with fps probably more than 20. On highest level of details, full hd resolution and antialising on, game was not playable at all. The biggiest problem is very noisy stock cooler and modest offer of silent coolers which can replace it. My suggestion is A8-3800 cpu which has lower power consuption, but still same graphic performance.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Great Gift (AMD A8-3850)0