59.940 fps content does not play properly
I have several 720p tv rips (Conan, Daily Show, Colbert) and recorded .ts files (Terra Nova) that run at 59.940 fps. The files simply do not play correctly in xbmc. I am running the latest nightly. Basically what happens is a constant stutter stop in the video. Plays fine for like a second, pauses, and then speeds up 2 seconds to get caught up with the audio. It stays in this pattern the entire time, and the consistency never changes. The files play fine in every other video player I have. No strain on the cpu or graphics card (ati 5450). It happens with every 59.940 fps video. What the heck? Angry
I really find it hard to believe that no one else has this problem.
Please turn on debug logging in XBMC and post a debug log.
I really don't know what I'm doing here, but here is the xbmc.log from the appdata folder. The file that is giving problems is Terra Nova S01E04 720p HDTV DD5.1 MPEG2.ts if that helps.

http://pastebin.com/fcWSZeg7

One of the lines says....

17:10:39 T:5528 DEBUG: CEdl::ReadEditDecisionLists - Assuming NTSC or 60i interlaced content. Adjusted frames per second from 59.940 (~59.940 fps) to 29.970

I don't know if this is normal behavior, but it looks like xbmc is possibly slowing down 59fps content in half, which is causing the slow, then jerky playback to catch up with the audio? And then it's saying assuming 60i interlaced content when it is actually 720p content.
Make sure the deinterlacer is turned off.
If that doesn't work you can try playing the file with DXVA turned off.
Thank you! I had deinterlace set to on and I didn't realize that it would still try to deinterlace progressive content as well. I had set it to on because I had previously read that some interlaced content isn't flagged correctly and that would force deinterlacing. Now I set it to auto and everything is back to the way it should be. Thanks again!
Actually, now this brings up another problem. As you may or may not know, there is a 29/59 hz bug that effects many interlaced shows out there. Basically what it is in a nutshell...

Quote:In Windows Vista and Windows 7, there is a particularly annoying Windows Media Center bug that affects certain interlaced (480i or 1080i) video. Essentially, Media Center "thinks" that the video is rapidly toggling between interlaced and progressive scan. As a result, Media Center causes your video card's hardware deinterlacer to reinitialize over and over again. Whenever the deinterlacer has to restart, a variety of side effects will manifest. The most common effects are:

Stuttering or Juddering Video
Screen Blanking
Flickering or Strobing Video

This bug has been noted to affect both ATI and Nvidia videocards -- particularly newer cards (circa 2005 or newer) with more advanced on-board video processing features.

The bug only affects interlaced scan programming (CBS-HD, NBC-HD, CW-HD, Digital Standard Definition Programming).

I get terrible judder/stutter on this type of 1080i content using the "auto" deinterlace setting in xbmc. However, if I set deinterlacing to "on" then it will force deinterlacing on 29/59 fps content so it stops switching and I won't get terrible judder. This works great, however now I am back to my original problem with 720p59 content trying to force deinterlacing and then cutting the frame rate in half. Pretty much everything on Fox and ABC is broadcast in 720p59.

The question is, why is xbmc set to assume 720p59 content is 60i interlaced in the first place? It is my understanding that there is no 720 @ 59/60hz content out there that is interlaced, it is all progressive. Shouldn't this code be changed in xbmc? Even when I play any other type of progressive content be it 1080p24, 720p24, or 480p30 it doesn't try to force deinterlacing, it just ignores it. I hope I have made my description clear to the developers here. For now I will have to set deinterlace to a default of "on" and then change it to off whenever I play 720p59.940 content. But if this was just changed in the code to ignore deinterlacing 720p59 content like all other progressive content, then I wouldn't have to keep changing the settings every time I want to watch a video.

http://htpc.pharmnerd.com/wmc-framerate-bug

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_...ageIndex=1

http://blog.abelcine.com/2009/12/23/hdfo...producers/
XBMC relies on ffmpeg to signal when a video is interlaced or not and when to activate the deinterlacer. Can you provide a sample so that we can figure out what's happening here.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
To be honest I'm not sure if xbmc can do anything to fix this problem or not. The 29/59 bug only happens on broadcast 1080i/480i content such as CBS, NBC, HBO, Showtime, ect. And it only happens on certain shows and depends which broadcast channel you are receiving it from. So someone from Los Angeles could be getting a correctly flagged program while someone from New York could be getting an incorrect one.

Basically what happens is some programs that were originally filmed in 24p (most primetime shows) get incorrectly flagged as progressive when they are in fact 1080 interlaced. Because this happens it causes the deinterlacer in certain (most) graphics cards to get confused and cause constant switching between deinterlacing on and off. This definitely happens in Windows Media Center and the problem seems to be the same on xbmc in "auto" deinterlace.

This doesn't happen with cable boxes and Tivo because most boxes are capped at a resolution of 1080i, while Windows is 1080p. If the broadcasters would just pass (flag) the content correctly as interlaced people with htpc wouldn't have this issue.

It appears that I was wrong about xbmc ignoring 24p content earlier when deinterlace is set to "on". If I press O and looks at the stats xbmc is doubling the framerate from 24 to 48. If I'm watching an animated show and pause it I can see the diagonal lines being jagged like it is trying to deinterlace the 24p content, but when I un pause I can't really notice anything out of the ordinary.

To summarize, setting deinterlace to "auto" works correctly 99% of the time. It just does not properly deinterlace those improperly flagged as progressive interlaced sources. It fails just like Media Center with heavy judder and stuttering.

I have a good scene that shows this. It is an mpeg2 .ts 1080i cap of Person of Interest, but it is 4GB in size and I'm not sure how to cut and get it on here.
Let's find out what happens before reaching a conclusion.

Cutting the first 30M or so usually works to provide samples (if that bit shows the effect ofc)

Otherwise it should be possible to cut just a small part in the middle where the problem happens. Chances are pretty good XBMC would be able to start playing such a piece of a TS.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
I've been having the same issues.

Not sure if it was an ATI issue (I also have a 5450) or XBMC....

The only way I've managed to get this working is by disabling DXVA and letting the processor take the heat...
Try unchecking "Use a Fullscreen Window Rather Than True Fullscreen"...
Stuttering is now gone and using DXVA.
I'm running a recent nightly on an acer revo 3600 with windows 7 64 home premium on it. Git build says : 20111123-e86e4f4.

I have this problem with some .ts files. Can provide a sample.

Turning on and off "use a full screen window instead of true fullscreen" and turning off the deinterlacer did not help. I turned on and off "sync playback to display" with no effect, with "adjust display to match framerate" on. Then I turned off "adjust display" and "sync playback" and it still did the same thing. It's pretty weird, it does seem to be losing sync somehow. Also reports 3-5fps for me. When I had "sync playback to display" on with "audio resample", it showed a ton of dropped audio packets and wildly flailing sync, with a frame rate of 50 showing sometimes but still playing very slowly and with messed up audio.
Yes a sample would help.
CrystalP Wrote:XBMC relies on ffmpeg to signal when a video is interlaced or not and when to activate the deinterlacer. Can you provide a sample so that we can figure out what's happening here.

Microsoft has finally admitted this 29/59 issue with Media Center, and it's the same issue that affects xbmc. They have no fix for it yet.

Quote:This occurs due to Windows Media Center resetting the video pipeline when a frame rate change occurs. Each time a frame rate change occurs, it may take a few frames for the video to recover. However, when frequent frame rate changes occur, video appear to constantly stutter or "glitch" without smoothing out.

This problem occurs when broadcasts frequently switch between interlaced and progressive content. Interlaced content is shown at 59.94 frames per second (fps) while progressive content is shown at 29.97 fps. This problem has also been seen when a broadcaster incorrectly flags their content. For instance, interlaced content is incorrectly flagged as progressive content.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2658140

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
59.940 fps content does not play properly0