Help setting up smb
Hey all, I just installed the latest nightly built onto my atv2 and for whatever reason its not recognizing any of my shared folders/drives from my laptop, however my xbox 360 has no problem seeing the files.. In the settings i can browse all the way to my workgroup>username but then nothing else shows besides that and it keeps asking me some username and password -__- which I have none? I tried manually adding the netowrk ip address of my laptop (192.168.1.102) and specifying the exact folders names (Downloads & f) but that didnt work either.. the easiest part about setting up this whole atv2 jb is turning into the hardest part can someone plz help!
Alright, your Xbox360 isn't actually looking at smb shares. So I'm going to make an assumption that you're running Windows 7 on your laptop. First, make sure the folder is actually shared. Right click it, go to Properties->Sharing, yeah. I've never messed with homegroup stuff but for smb this works. So assuming you did that right, open your network and sharing center (just start typing it into the start button search) and go to your advanced sharing settings on the left. For whatever network your on (home or public) make sure Password Protected Sharing is off.

Assuming you have no other firewalls blocking the connection attempts, you should now be able to give XBMC your laptop's IP and access the shared folders. Assuming you have network discovery on, XBMC can probably just find it via the hostname too.

Hope this helped
Done all of that, ive damn near enabled sharing on every folder on my computer just to see which ones come up. Things have gotten really frustrating, I can actually see my shared folders but im only allowed to access one of them, and thats my users folder, my f drive and downloads folders appear but when I try and open them it asks for a stupid password, and i have no password and password protected sharing is off!! The only way I can get streaming to work is to move my files into the users folder..................I have looked at the settings for everything and there exactly the same but for some strange reason all my xbmc is able to access is the users folder, and then when i get into the users folder, my personal account doesnt show up just the public folder

UPDATE: looks like part of the problem is that maybe your not allowed to share the root of a drive with homegroup, just a folder on the drive.. so in order for it to work i guess I have to put all my movies into a folder on my external called movies.. then it will be allowed to be seen.. kinda stupid
CHRONiC YOUTH Wrote:UPDATE: looks like part of the problem is that maybe your not allowed to share the root of a drive with homegroup, just a folder on the drive.. so in order for it to work i guess I have to put all my movies into a folder on my external called movies.. then it will be allowed to be seen.. kinda stupid

Well, that's because even though you shared the whole drive, you still need to give users proper permissions. If you add EVERYONE to the users list for the drive (right click on it, properties->security) and give them proper permissions, you should be able to share the entire drive over the network. Actually, adding ANONYMOUS might be enough, but heck that still kinda defeats the purpose of any security at all haha.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help setting up smb0