• 11(current)
XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread)
macf1an Wrote:they say it's likely it could

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/kb.aspx?c=6#42

"They" need to learn basic electronics. This platform requires about 2 Watts of power. Lets ignore peak current draw and just assume 2 Watts for simplicity.

Watts = Voltage * Amps.

2W / 5V = 0.4A or 400mA of current.

400mA > 50mA Smile Not a chance. But notice that it is in the range of being powered via USB which is 500mA @ 5V.

On electronic devices, you MUST meet both voltage and current limits or risk the device blowing up (over voltage) or behaving badly or not at all (under current).
Besides ... whats the point? If you have a TV near the Raspberry its most likely that you have power too :o
@davilla Will the "out of the box xbmc for R-Pi"-release support CEC?

EDIT:
davilla Wrote:Wrong, the platform has to support a) native cec in hardware and provide a cec API that xbmc understand or b) have a USB port that can accept a cec device that libcec supports.

guess not Smile
Bagheera Wrote:Besides ... whats the point? If you have a TV near the Raspberry its most likely that you have power too :o

it would have bin nice to "hide the box behind a tv on the wall". anyway.. it's possible to power it with USB and alot of modern TVs has USB connections.
what people can do is to power up the device via USB and connect it via HDMI behind the TV, which is really neat Wink
effbiai Wrote:it would have bin nice to "hide the box behind a tv on the wall". anyway.. it's possible to power it with USB and alot of modern TVs has USB connections.
what people can do is to power up the device via USB and connect it via HDMI behind the TV, which is really neat Wink

I was wondering something similar, however it would surely have to be a powered USB socket, simply being able to accept a USB stick to watch videos and look at photos isnt the same thing, but assuming its powered i guess it could work.
I'd love to power one out of the USB socket in a Sky TV box, pretty sure it wouldnt though.

Also, arent you likely to be requiring a network connection, i wouldnt have thought wifi would meet most peoples demands (no idea tbh) with HD content. You'd almost certainly be connecting more than just a HDMI and USB for power, at least you do if you want a decent range of content on-demand. Music might just cut it with memory cards & usb sticks but not video. USB would stem from the Pi, but it'd still be another wire, but thats nit-picking Big Grin
(Hint, Most TV's have a USB looking "Service Port").

It's how I charged my phone at my mom's over christmas.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
@davilla:

Have you had any chance to run some network tests on it ? How fast is it transfering files ? How is the cpu usuage during transfers ?
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
A600 Wrote:Does it support hardware deinterlacing?

Wondering about this aswell... how will it perform Live-TV wise? Any ideas yet?
HTPC + Mediaserver
E8400 - ABIT I-N73HD - 2GB DDR2 - 3.5TB - Geforce G210 - ANTEC FUSION V2 - Ubuntu 10.04 - XBMC-PVR

TV-Server
Ubuntu 10.04 - Tvheadend - Smargo Reader - Oscam Card Server - 2x PCI DVB-C
CrashX Wrote:@davilla:

Have you had any chance to run some network tests on it ? How fast is it transfering files ? How is the cpu usuage during transfers ?

No. Useless test. Smile Any modern embedded box can saturate 10/100 Ethernet.
effbiai Wrote:@davilla Will the "out of the box xbmc for R-Pi"-release support CEC?

EDIT:

guess not Smile

The R-Pi GPU certainly supports CEC, but the closed-source Broadcom GPU driver doesn't currently surface the CEC codes to userland in order for the ARM core to gain read/write access. Maybe such support will be added later but it will only come from Broadcom/R-Pi Foundation due to the closed nature of the driver (Broadcom have, apparently, demonstrated CEC working with their GPUs).

If/when the GPU driver supports CEC, then perhaps it can be supported by XBMC.

davilla Wrote:50mA @5V, I don't think that quite cuts it.

According to the hdmi.org link provided previously, 55mA is the minimum provided on the 5V line which is pretty much useless in terms of powering most devices, and since there is no set standard for negotiating or acquiring a higher current (which may or may not be available) it seems highly unlikely that this is a useful avenue for anything practical as the chances of it actually working (ie. enough current available between two random devices) is so low.

As it is, the R-Pi requires 1A@5V to operate, so it won't even be possible to power the board from a single USB port, though it may be possible using two powered USB ports and a Y-cable.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
davilla Wrote:No. Useless test. Smile Any modern embedded box can saturate 10/100 Ethernet.

Sure, but what about when decoding 1080p DTS/DD/etc material? ie. Does the ARM core in the R-Pi still have enough grunt to do real work while hauling material over ethernet?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
MilhouseVH Wrote:Sure, but what about when decoding 1080p DTS/DD/etc material? ie. Does the ARM core in the R-Pi still have enough grunt to do real work while hauling material over ethernet?

But surely the GPU is doing the 1080p decoding and the cpu is dealing with the ethernet port?
Jimmer Wrote:But surely the GPU is doing the 1080p decoding and the cpu is dealing with the ethernet port?

I don't believe the GPU is dealing with audio decode on the Pi, that's left to the ARM core which also has to handle the network, subtitles etc. Hopefully I'm wrong, but that isn't what I've read so far.
MilhouseVH Wrote:I don't believe the GPU is dealing with audio decode on the Pi, that's left to the ARM core which also has to handle the network, subtitles etc. Hopefully I'm wrong, but that isn't what I've read so far.

Think the R-Pi guys have stated it's a matter of licences.... the GPU is apparently a capable, feature-rich chip. Which of those features are actually enabled will be down to the licences the foundation is able to pony up for and still keep to the price point they want.

We'll just have to wait and see what they announce, but they're already saying that AAC audio is more expensive to licence than h264 video, so that does sound a bit ominous for the audio side of things, I agree!
Jimmer Wrote:Think the R-Pi guys have stated it's a matter of licences.... the GPU is apparently a capable, feature-rich chip. Which of those features are actually enabled will be down to the licences the foundation is able to pony up for and still keep to the price point they want.

We'll just have to wait and see what they announce, but they're already saying that AAC audio is more expensive to licence than h264 video, so that does sound a bit ominous for the audio side of things, I agree!

Right, and since the foundation is geared towards education rather than media centers, I don't see them ponying up for any licenses that are superfluous to achieving their primary goal (and quite rightly too, although I'd be prepared to pay slightly more for a non-educational version if this were possible). So in the case of running XBMC, I'm assuming it will have to make do without any expensive licenses or the ability to use the GPU to help decode audio. I'm not even sure XBMC on Pi will be able to handle as many codecs (xvid/divx etc.) as you might find on more traditional hardware but only time will tell...
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread)11