XBMC on Apple TV 1 - Unable to access SMB and meta data
Hi there,

Very new to XBMC and just joined the forum to get some support as I've been struggling through so far but now totally stuck with a problem and hoping someone can help!

I have all my movie files stored on a Synology NAS in the uPnP movie share folder. Each movie is in it's own folder and there I have also copied the necessary meta data for artwork etc.

On my two Windows machines (XP and Vista) I have XBMC installed and I can access the shared folder via SMB no problem and all the meta data and content is downloaded correctly as it should do.

When I try to add the folder as a source via XBMC on Apple TV (1) however I get an error message and am unable to access the SMB folder. Adding the source as a uPnP does work in so far as the files are shared and visible in list form but none of the meta data files are read and hence no artwork or movie info is downloaded. I don't know why this is (also applies if I use uPnP on the Windows machines actually).

All very annoying as the Apple TV is hooked up to the main TV in the house and it's the only one I can't get to work properly!

The above is my very simple view of the problem and I am not massively competent with XBMC or NAS as yet - so please go easy on me and if any advice available I'd be most grateful Smile

Thanks.
i'm just guessing here, but do you provide a username and password in XBMC?

Probably the windows XBMC is just using Windows calls to access the SMB shares. When you have the password stored in windows, XBMC is using that password and it doesn't bother you for it.

XBMC for mac/linux/iDevice on the other hand doesn't have that password stored, so you'll have to provide it in the add source window.
Hi Brainfrz - thanks for the reply.

I don't use a password in XBMC at all and have no 'profiles' set up as it's only me that accesses it.

Will keep trying!
Solved it!

The issue appears to be with the Synology NAS - The default 'guest' account was disabled but once this was enabled Apple TV was able to access the SMB folder correctly. It seems that Apple TV uses the guest user profile when accessing the NAS so a minumum of 'read only' privilege should be set for this guest profile to avoid problems.

Hope this helps someone else and thanks for the advice on this forum.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Apple TV 1 - Unable to access SMB and meta data0