Simple/Easy HTPC build advice
I have a Mac Mini running XBMC 10.1 playing ISOs from a nfs server over a 1GB network right now. Fairly happy with it with the exception of some occasional issues with stutter/shudder. We use a Harmony 1100 do everything except navigate XBMC, still using the apple remote for that.

I want to reproduce this for my living room setup.

I would like to use Linux on some non Apple hardware.

Is there any hardware out there that I can put the latest Ubuntu LTS on, install XBMC and connect the LAN, HDMI and power to it and go?

This goes in the living room/den so power, HDMI and one network cable is all I get. No kludgey hacks for a remote, it has to work with the Harmony 1100. And the hardware drivers have to work with a standard distribution, preferably Ubuntu or some variant thereof.

Right now, another Mac Mini with 4GB of RAM is going to run me around $600 - $700. Is there reliable linux compatible hardware out there at this price point or below that won't require six weeks of build time tearing my hair out? Zotac, Shuttle - any of that stuff what I'm looking for?
I'm using this right now w/ xbmc-live installed to the USB Drive:

[CPU] Intel Celeron E3400 Dual-Core 2.6GHz LGA-775 65W ($43 + $0) eBay
[MOBO+iGPU] ZOTAC GF9300-K-E LGA-775 WiFi Mini-ITX ($105 + $0) Amazon
[CASE+PSU] M350 enclosure with picoPSU-80 and 60W adapter ($80) mini-box.com
[FAN] None
[USB] CORSAIR CMFVY3S-8GB R 8GB USB Flash ($17 + $0) Newegg
[RAM] CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 DDR3 1333 ($15 + $0) Amazon
[REMOTE] Rii Mini Wireless Keyboard ($24 + $7) Amazon

Sound over HDMI was the only hiccup - solved here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=915728&postcount=5
Which Mac Mini hardware do you have?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Simple/Easy HTPC build advice0