Many Product tested - AirPort, Belkin, Cable.. Read!
Hello people,

I could now do some test. I bought some equipment and tested with the AppleTV with XBMC.

Initially I had big problems with XBMC files, and MKV. My router from D-Link was 54Mbit.
At noon today I'm in one of our computer business and I have

- Airport Extreme tested with WIFI (= SHIT )
- Belkin 300 tested with WIFI (= SHIT )
- Network Cables (= BEST WAY FOR SHARING )

bought.

I started with the Airpot Extreme. Have the part right next to my iMac with XBMC installed and tried to stream a MKV.
1080 and 720 were difficult .. really bad! Things did not go smoothly! Jerked every minute .. Why? Thought the part is so great.

Have the same part again and packed in cardboard.

Step 2:

Immediately after the test I've tested airport Belkin router. I do not want to write much, same shit as Airport Extreme.

Price: € 159.00 Airport Extreme, Belkin routers 44.99 €.

Step 3:

Network cable from my iMac connected directly to AppleTV. IT IS BRILLIANT!
For this I have never done an Internet sharing and get my own on my iMac internet on AppleTV easily.

The greatest thing I've now tested with network cable was a 31.50 GB MKV file. 1080p (DTS ...)
Which ran without problems. No caching, no jerking. Perfect!

The two devices I have naturally exchanged again.

File sharing via NFS goes with me.
Strange, had somehow set the starting yesterday. I thought I did not get the point.
By chance I saw today that it all works without problems ...

WIFI FUCKING SO HARD..
... GO WIRED!!

Report for simple questions.
WIFI works great for me with DVD, MKV, mp4, XVID etc. I'm on a WIFI N router. Ok I don't play 1080p. 720p works flawless over WIFI. No need for me to connect a cable.
ensy3k, glad to see you got it working now. guess i dont have to answer your last pm then Wink
Yes... :p
Thanks for your Help.
I've had great luck with ASUS routers on my ATV2. I re-plugged the ATV2 back into ethernet since I had already ran the cable, but I was surprised at just how many HD movies I was able to play without buffering. I have the ASUS RT-N12, which was on sale at the time for $30, and can take custom firmware like DD-WRT. There's even a model up (that I haven't tried) that's sporting a USB port, but the model/price escapes me right now.

Though I never really had issues with my AirPort Extreme Base Station. However, in all my cases of using wireless I've always had the server wired and the client XBMC be wireless, instead of both be wireless.
conclusion for most people is still - the wire is your friend ... so i will stay on propagating it to all which have buffering issues ... Wink - wifi just depends to hard on the used hardware and the air crowded environment...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Properly setup, wifi will work fine. Ethernets the way to go though, where available.
Wired >> Wireless in everything except convenience.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Many Product tested - AirPort, Belkin, Cable.. Read!0