Setting up XBMC and Mysql for painless upgrades
@Methanoid:

Hi Methanoid, could you link to something that details this MYSQL INI tweak you speak of?

Thanks,
Cal.
It is somewhere on this forum but I Googled and this does the job

http://scottbrant.net/?p=495
Methanoid Wrote:have you done the mysql INI tweak about name resolve? Its gonna be MEGA MEGA slow without - took my ATV2s about 45 seconds to boot without that.

Plus make sure all your references are to an IP address? And let your ATV2s create the database?

I've done the INI tweak so thanks for that.

I've changed the paths to the IP address of the SQL server (which has the media files) but the ATV still doesn't pick it up. I think I need to start again, delete the SQL database and begin from the ATV.

So if I delete and recreate the video and music DB's in SQL (I'm using SQLyog to access MySQL) and delete the source.xml files from the ATV and two Win 7 XBMC machines (and the database folders from each?), make sure the advancedsettings.xml file is in each, run XBMC in ATV and add all the folders, let them scan/import, copy the source.xml file from the ATV to the other two and run them to pick up the new info?

Is that the best way to do it?

All my media has the artwork, thumbs and nfo files in the relevant media folder on the Home Server, as I manage them in Ember Media Manager (it gives me more flexibility), so should they all still scan for artwork, etc individually?
Yes, delete DBs and allow permissions for XBMC to create them. I'd do the thumbnails tweak to store them on your server too. Also make sure rather than just IP address you have username & password for server share in your advancedsettings.xml. Sources need to be IP address/username too. Then on one machine change the source properties to TV or Movies as needed and let it scan. That all works for me - 2xATV2 and one PC server.

If you get stuck still PM me your email addy and I'll email my files and you can compare? It took me ages of messing and some help from others so happy to help you!

Meth
Ah, thanks. Should I do the thumbnails at the same time or after? Presumably I let the ATV create the new thumbnail DB, add the

PHP Code:
<pathsubstitution>
  <
substitute>
    <
from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>

<to>192.168.0.4/XBMCthumbnails</to>
  </
substitute>
</
pathsubstitution
to the advancedsettings.xml file after it's done that and then and copy that back over to the other devices?
OK, looking good so far, just scanning the first folder.

Can I clarify; I have included the pathsubstitution script already. How does it work with the thumbnails? Does the first installation of XBMC (in my case on the ATV2) use that central folder on the homeserver and copy the files there? Or do I need to copy them over manually after it has finished scanning? I'm just trying to get my head around what it's actually doing and what I need to do myself!

Thanks
Usually you put it in before scanning and the files end up there automagially.
Otherwise copy from the machine that did the scanning.
OK, so the ATV2 has finished scanning and building the new database, but it hasn't created the new thumbnails. I has created a new Thumbnails folder and the correct structure in the ATV, but not put anything into either that one or the redirected one on the Homeserver.

I have checked the permissions for the network shared XBMCthumbnails folder and that's definately set to full read/write access for all users.

This is my advancedsettings.xml if that's any help;

PHP Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <
videodatabase>
        <
type>mysql</type>
        <
host>192.168.0.4</host>
        <
port>3306</port>
        <
user>xbmc</user>
        <
pass>****</pass>
        <
name>xbmc_video</name>
    </
videodatabase

<
musicdatabase>
        <
type>mysql</type>
        <
host>192.168.0.4</host>
        <
port>3306</port>
        <
user>xbmc</user>
        <
pass>****</pass>
        <
name>xbmc_music</name>
    </
musicdatabase>

<
pathsubstitution>
  <
substitute>
    <

<to>192.168.0.4/XBMCthumbnails</to>
  </
substitute>
</
pathsubstitution>

</
advancedsettings

Is it worth me removing the pathsubstitution for now and letting the ATV build it locally, then copy it over to the Homeserver and add the path?

One other thing... I often get a message shortly after I start up XBMC saying it cannot connect to a remote server. Do I need to put in the IP address of my router as a proxy for it to get external access?

Slowly getting there.....!
Prefix your path substitution with smb:// before your ip address
Assuming you're using smb, of course.
Ah, ok. Yes, I am using SMB.

So change the pathsub bit to;

PHP Code:
<pathsubstitution>
  <
substitute>
    <

<to>smb://192.168.0.4/XBMCthumbnails/</to>

</substitute>
</
pathsubstitution

Presumably I don't need to add that part to the xbmc_video & music part (as they're already connecting to the MySQL database?
Finchy Wrote:Ah, ok. Yes, I am using SMB.

So change the pathsub bit to;

PHP Code:
<pathsubstitution>
  <
substitute>
    <

<to>smb://192.168.0.4/XBMCthumbnails/</to>

</substitute>
</
pathsubstitution

Presumably I don't need to add that part to the xbmc_video & music part (as they're already connecting to the MySQL database?

Correct - just the ip address for the MySQL connection, but a fully qualified path for path substitution. I set mine up yesterday on my NAS and this is basically how mine looks for the advancedsettings.
Ah, thanks. I've changed that but it's still not picking up any thumbnails. It's still scanning a few other folders I've added so I'll wait until they finish then reset the content to get them re-scanning, but I can't work out why it's not picking them up still.

Also, that INI tweak to the sql db, I only need to add that to the my.ini don't I? Not any other ini files in there?
You'd need to restart xbmc before the advancedsettings changes to take affect. I haven't done the ini tweaks yet. Not sure if I need to as I did everything with ip addresses.
Yes, I did exit XBMC and reload it but it hasn't picked them up.

I'm wondering.... the sources.xml created by ATV shows;

PHP Code:
<sources>
    <
programs>
        <default 
pathversion="1"></default>
    </
programs>
    <
video>
        <default 
        <
source>
            <
name>My Current TV Shows</name>
            <
path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/New Movies &amp; TV Shows/My Current TV Shows/</path>

</source>
        <
source>
            <
name>Latest movies to watch</name>
            <
path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/New Movies &amp; TV Shows/New Movies To Watch/Latest movies to watch/</path>

</source>
        <
source>
            <
name>New Movies to Watch Other</name>
            <
path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/New Movies &amp; TV Shows/New Movies To Watch/New Movies to Watch - Foreign/</path>

<path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/New Movies &amp; TV Shows/New Movies To Watch/New Movies to Watch - Older/</path>

</source>
        <
source>
            <
name>My Favourite Movies</name>
            <
path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/Movie Archive/My Favourite Movies/</path>

</source>
        <
source>
            <
name>Bond Movies</name>
            <
path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/Movie Archive/Bond Movies/</path>

</source>
        <
source>
            <
name>My Movie Archive</name>
            <
path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/Movie Archive/Modern Movies/</path>

<path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/Movie Archive/50&apos;s &amp; earlier Movies/</path>

<path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/Movie Archive/60&apos;s Movies/</path>

<path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/Movie Archive/80&apos;s Movies/</path>

<path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/Movie Archive/70&apos;s Movies/</path>

<path pathversion="1">smb://HOMESERVER/Movie Archive/90&apos;s Movies/</path>

</source>
    </
video>
    <
music>
        <default 
    </
music>
    <
pictures>
        <default 
    </
pictures>
    <
files>
        <default 
    </
files>
</
sources

Should I include the
PHP Code:
<source pathversion="1"
part in the path substitution in advancedsettings.xml?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up XBMC and Mysql for painless upgrades0