• 1(current)
Buffering issues - atv2 - wired
Hey,
Ive read through the forum, to find an answer, but i cant really.
Ive bought an atv2 and jailbreaked the apple tv today, and installed xmbc. Ive set up everything using zeroconf read from my time capsule, which works as my router. The connection from the apple tv to time capsule is wired.

Heres my problem: I start a movie, it buffers for 10 seconds, plays for 30 sec, then buffers again. This happens to most of my movies, but the bigger the files, the more often and longer it buffers. typical file is 4 gb and it stays on for 30 sec. is there anything i can do to fix this?
update to the latest nightly build

Still buffering? Try sharing the media on another device, like a computer

Still buffering? Try setting the audio settings in XBMC to use optical/coax (even if you don't use optical coax and are just using HDMI).

Still buffering? give us a debug log
I tried the new nightly update, but the audio was the one fixing my problems. the sound is way better now (i changed the setup of everything and started using the coax wire).
But everything seems to be working as i should, so thank you!
Ned Scott Wrote:update to the latest nightly build

Still buffering? Try sharing the media on another device, like a computer

Still buffering? Try setting the audio settings in XBMC to use optical/coax (even if you don't use optical coax and are just using HDMI).

Still buffering? give us a debug log

Good list of suggestions... I'll stick them in the FAQ.
Another user just sent me a PM and said the audio change also fixed their buffering issue. That's now three users who've tried this and had it work. Seems we're on to something here.
Ned Scott Wrote:Another user just sent me a PM and said the audio change also fixed their buffering issue. That's now three users who've tried this and had it work. Seems we're on to something here.

Hi Ned,

I had same buffering problem and I followed your this simple steps and now works like a charm.

Great to learn here.

Thanks for your help and support,
JR
This is great. Hopefully you nailed it!

Ned Scott Wrote:Another user just sent me a PM and said the audio change also fixed their buffering issue. That's now three users who've tried this and had it work. Seems we're on to something here.
This helped my buffering issue.

I still have choppiness but it doesn't say it is buffering.
I have the same setup as the OP. Nightly build from 7. nov, AFP to my Time Capsule (have tried smb as well). Have tried all of the "fixes"; Buffering size, audio sync, optical/coax, static IP on atv2 +++. The ATV is directly connected with wire to my TC.

Movies, regardless of 720p/1080p buffers at the same amount. (A 40g 1080p buffers equal to a 4-5g 720p file ...) H.264/MKV of course.

When streaming from my mac through UPNP, the movies play just fine.
I've got step in here and comment - I did the optical trick and it reduced my buffering by at least 50% with 1080 content over wireless. I'm thinking that going wired would remove it completely, but at least Game of Thrones is watchable now.
Dont know why this is, but I deleted my time machine backup from Time Capsule (about 600gb), and all my buffering issues are over ...

This must be a Time Capsule problem.
GnarusLeo Wrote:Dont know why this is, but I deleted my time machine backup from Time Capsule (about 600gb), and all my buffering issues are over ...

This must be a Time Capsule problem.

Did you also stop backing up to it? Because if you're using the same disk for backing up to and streaming from at the same time, of course there is a great risk of having buffer problems...
I did actually, for testing I turned Time Machine of on my computer.

However, after a while of success, my buffering issues are back again. This is so strange.

I will post a log to the devs later this evening.

(Note: WDTV Live has been streaming from the very same disk for 2-3 years, and I have never had these issues. All on smb, both wired and wireless.)

Thanks for replying.

G
Hi devs:

I have now created a log file: http://pastebin.com/kQXP4LuV

It is a H.264 MKV 720p file. I have nightly build from 9. nov. ATV running 4.3.

My setup is an ATV2 wired directly to Time Capsule.

Hopefully some of you undestands why my files keeps on buffiring. It doesn't matter if they are 1080p, 720p - as long as they are HD and H.264, they buffer every now and then. (probably every 5-10 minutes, sometimes more rapidly.)

Appriciate any help!

Edit: Please note that I have been using WDTV Live for 2-3 years with this exactly same setup without any issues.

Edit 2: Thankfull for all your great work!
GnarusLeo Wrote:I did actually, for testing I turned Time Machine of on my computer.

However, after a while of success, my buffering issues are back again. This is so strange.

I will post a log to the devs later this evening.

(Note: WDTV Live has been streaming from the very same disk for 2-3 years, and I have never had these issues. All on smb, both wired and wireless.)

Thanks for replying.

G

I have an Airport Extreme with an external USB drive connected to it, and I had buffering problems from time to time with SMB. I changed it to AFP and all my problems went away. Time machine can even back up to the drive at the same time without any problems (but if I'm starting a movie during a backup it will take a bit longer to get started).

So, try afp?
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering issues - atv2 - wired0