• 7(current)
[WIKI] HELP UPDATE OUR FAQs!
To actually update "XBMC Live" for Eden, which is a full package, then you're pretty much looking at a fresh install. The OS changed from Ubuntu 10.04 to Lubuntu 11.10. It is possible to just update XBMC itself while on the old Live by treating it as a normal Linux install and going to the Linux install page.
That being said, our pages on XBMC Live pretty much need to be done from scratch. I already deleted old stuff that I knew for sure didn't apply to the new Live. I myself just finally got it to work on my Macbook just last night (I had some bad USB sticks that were causing it to not boot the computer). Now that I have it up and running, I'll try to fill out what I can. Any help from anyone else running Live would be greatly appreciated.
so then for those of us not knowledgeable with Linux
do we back up the video and music library
do a fresh install of XBMCbuntu and restore libraries

if i have to install addons again im fine with that
I just have a couple machines for friends i setup for them after showing them xbmc
one is half across the US so when i want these to go as smooth....well at lest the easiest route possible lol
WE ALL WE GOT
You'll want to locate and backup the userdata (wiki) folder. You should even be able to copy the parent xbmc/ folder and that will also have add-ons and such. That will have all settings, library databases, etc.
(2012-03-25, 22:47)Ned Scott Wrote: You'll want to locate and backup the userdata (wiki) folder. You should even be able to copy the parent xbmc/ folder and that will also have add-ons and such. That will have all settings, library databases, etc.

then after installing XBMCbuntu i should copy in the xbmc folder
would this just basically put everything i have currently installed into place without wrecking XBMCbuntu

sorry to tread into your wiki thread...deeply appreciate the help
WE ALL WE GOT
(2012-03-25, 22:57)bigdog66 Wrote:
(2012-03-25, 22:47)Ned Scott Wrote: You'll want to locate and backup the userdata (wiki) folder. You should even be able to copy the parent xbmc/ folder and that will also have add-ons and such. That will have all settings, library databases, etc.

then after installing XBMCbuntu i should copy in the xbmc folder
would this just basically put everything i have currently installed into place without wrecking XBMCbuntu

sorry to tread into your wiki thread...deeply appreciate the help

Correct, and no worries!
Not having read all replies in this thread.... And not knowing ziltch About 3D

this part http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...#3D_movies

Its on all platforms, But does it need to contain any information like does this require a external player for sure or is the internal dvdplayer ok.

Obviously the dvdplayer page then needs updating accordingly. (I removed mplayer stuff since that was xbox?) anywho more accurate info for 3D would be nice, so it can be used as a reference to provide help or is what is there correct and no external players are required and if external players are required what do they improve upon... Again if external player are used the respective page also would need relevant info if it makes sense.

uNi
3D SBS is just a normal video file with the screen doubled. Without glasses it looks like two movies playing side by side at the same time. So basically, all video players support SBS because SBS is a normal file.
So if I get some 3D glasses on a non 3D tv i can see 3D cause also there's various glasses types (the ones in Cinema are polarized then there's those red/blue lenses and other glasses I probably never heard of.

anyway the point is from a file perspective this may be a simple file but from faq point of view even I that have 0 interest have questions reading that and currently the info provided doesn't clarify much which is what Em trying to add to wiki.... Ill add the info about the SBS bit so its a bit clearer.

Edit

Ok You NEED Glascope 3D glasses for SBS, it would probably be more complete though it sounds obvious that a 3D TV is also needed?

Also this particular type of FAQ is no fun to edit (if this can be at all considered fun Smile), as its needed to edit a larger section that also contains the one you want to get to... not a fan of tables

thx

uNi
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIKI] HELP UPDATE OUR FAQs!3