[WIKI] HELP UPDATE OUR FAQs!
Question 
As apart of the revamp for the XBMC Wiki I'm putting a call out to help update our wiki FAQs. We need help compiling what questions are frequently asked. So to all the question askers and the question answerers: this here be a brainstormin' thread!

The following wiki FAQs need to be re-done. Click on an FAQ link to be taken to the discussion for that FAQ:
XBMC general FAQ (applies for all or most platforms)
XBMC for Mac specific FAQ [THIS THREAD]
XBMC for Windows specific FAQ
XBMC for Linux specific FAQ & XBMC Live specific FAQ

List the questions you come across the most or that you think people ask (or things they should ask) when it comes to XBMC for Mac OS X.

Don't worry about providing answers at this point, but if you want to, or at least link to something that does, feel free to do so. List questions, or just topics, or even just talk about what you think the FAQ should and shouldn't include.

[Once we've got something to start with, then we'll work finalizing what questions to have, and then finally the answers.]
I'm going to spout a few general topics-that-could-be-questions off the top of my head:

•remote control issues, I think we have some in 10.7
•mac mini stuff. We could even have a dedicated FAQ just for Mac mini stuff regarding the various models, the hardware, BCHD (for older ones), etc
•on that same note I think the Apple TV 1 can be spun off on to its own FAQ page
•BCHD on Mac OS X (not sure if that's an FAQ topic or a more advanced topic)
•Supplemental tools for Mac OS X. List the tools at the very least, like media managers, download clients, renaming tools, USB keyboard remappers (like USBOverdrive), etc
•10.7 hiding the user library which hides the XBMC userdata folder
•10.7 SMB sharing issue. Not actually an issue for the XBMC for Mac client, but a Mac OS X issue that has a big impact on XBMC in general. Seems natural that people would look at the Mac wiki stuff for that info, even if it's just a one line link that says "look here for solutions"
•Dealing with .appledouble files (similar to the 10.7 SMB issue)
•Permissions errors when accessing media (both locally and over the network shared from a mac)
I recently asked the question "why doesn't my mac change refresh rate" which apperantly is a FAQ. Smile

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=927...stcount=25
Dual monitor:

The salient points from this post are: "yes, you can have xbmc fullscreen in a second window", but it might take a few tries, and it has caveats. Here's how, according to GlennK and migueld, and confirmed by n00b yours truly:

1) In Settings / System Settings, set Display to Fullscreen #2. It took me a while to get XBMC to give me that option but it finally happened.
2) Use CMD+Tab to get yourself out of XBMC fullscreen and to your other primary monitor where your work and your menus are. Use CMD+Tab when you need to control XBMC again.

Caveats: It's easy to mess this up with fullscreen-window toggle, backslash key, etc. Also problems occur when coming out of sleep.

Thanks for helping me figure this out. I hope someday the app itself or some addons or even mac scripts will solve this situation better!

IMO This should be stickied!
AtariBaby Wrote:IMO This should be stickied!

My idea is to basically do what we have in the iOS forums with the "READ ME FIRST" post stickied. It would have a links to the General FAQ that applies to all platforms, the Mac specific FAQ, and I was thinking a separate Apple TV 1 FAQ and a MacMini FAQ (hardware focused).

It would also replace the need for some of the other sticky threads in this forum.
Ned Scott Wrote:My idea is to basically do what we have in the iOS forums with the "READ ME FIRST" post stickied. It would have a links to the General FAQ that applies to all platforms, the Mac specific FAQ, and I was thinking a separate Apple TV 1 FAQ and a MacMini FAQ (hardware focused).

It would also replace the need for some of the other sticky threads in this forum.

There definitely needs to be a READ ME 1st sticky here too. In the XBMC for Mac FAQ there's probably some questions in the ATV2 FAQ that would be relevant, i.e. how to install, how to check version information, remote information, etc.
Behold!

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Apple_TV_1_FAQ

Just has the very basic FAQ from the original Apple TV 1 page right now. Feel free to throw stuff in. This is slightly different from the other FAQs in that it is hardware specific, so it will also include linux on the ATV1.

EDIT: also, the original page has now turned into HOW-TO:Install XBMC on Apple TV 1. We'll probably also make an "original (Mac OS X) OS" install and Linux install sections on that page as well (probably more than one for Linux). Feel free to contribute there as well and to ask any questions you have about editing here or PM me, etc.
Finally started to get the led out on this: XBMC for Mac specific FAQ (wiki)

Still very much a work-in-progress, but it's a start.

Feel free to reply here with whatever you think should also be added, or feel free to dive in and edit the page directly.
Closing this thread and moving future suggestions/discussion to:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132299

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIKI] HELP UPDATE OUR FAQs!1