ATV vs ATV2 - which to buy?
hi folks,

gonna pick up either an ATV or ATV2 on which I'll install XBMC. I don't have HD televisions, so hi-def output isn't of immediate concern. Any place I can see the relative merits of these two boxes so I can figure out which to buy?

thanks!
You might find some useful info in this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=96348

One point that might not be mentioned there is connectivity. The only video output on the ATV2 is HDMI. If all of your TVs are SD then they might not be equipped to handle such an input. The original Apple TV has more video output options - I'm not sure which it has, but a quick look at Wikipedia will probably tell you
thanks procrastinator. they talk alot about that crystal card in that thread. But, that's probably not necessary for SD output, is it?
no, the crystal card is for outputting in HD.
original apple tv there a composite hack you can do or buy a coverter/switcher. No HDMI you definately don't want atv2. atv 2 also has no mass storage unless you connect to network drive. original apple tv you can put boxee on as well. I haven't figured a way to put boxee on atv2 yet.
XBMC (11.0-RC2 Git:20120229-f38655f), Platform: Darwin iOS (11.0.0 AppleTV2,1, Version 5.0.1 (Build 9A406a)). Built on Mar 1 2012
motley28 Wrote:I haven't figured a way to put boxee on atv2 yet.

I am glad you didn't. This would equal a complete rape of atv2 Wink (there is no boxee for ios ... don't spent your time trying ...)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
luckycharms Wrote:thanks procrastinator. they talk alot about that crystal card in that thread. But, that's probably not necessary for SD output, is it?

You'll still want it. Even if the output is in SD, if the video file itself is in HD or a demanding codec that the CPU can't handle, then playback will still suffer. Swapping out the card is as easy as installing ram, and I think the cheaper version of the BCHD runs $30 on ebay. (personally, I'd go for the $40 one from Logic Supply, the model that ends in "15". More responsive when fast forwarding/rewinding/ play/pause, and some other little issues. Minor, but to me is wroth the extra $10).

Plus, if you do get an HD display later on you'll be able to handle just about anything. Right now an ATV1 with BCHD is my main HTPC. Second hand ones (in very good condition) can be had for around $50, so total investment is about the same as an ATV2.

I love the ATV2 as well, and it still has something the ATV1 doesn't have, Netflix playback (plus who knows what in future jailbreak iOS related goodness), but if you have the option to pick up an ATV1, do it.
So is a ATV1 + BCHD beter than an ATV2?
No sure i understood it right
jpcolin Wrote:So is a ATV1 + BCHD beter than an ATV2?
No sure i understood it right

It depends on your needs.

The ATV1 has internal storage and you can hack it to be able to use the USB port on it to connect additional storage, and by changing the graphics card you can play 1080p content without having to scale it down to 720p. It also has more possibilities in terms of connections. But on the other hand, it's no longer supported by Apple so you're going to miss out on future upgrades and additions of services. It also uses more power than the ATV2.

I chose the ATV2 because I don't need anything but an HDMI connection, 720p is good enough for me, I already have network storage and I don't want to clutter my TV bench with more stuff than necessary, plus I prefer the design of the ATV2.

Out of the box, the ATV2 kicks ATV1's butt, but when upgraded it seems to be mainly a question of preference.
hafr Wrote:Out of the box, the ATV2 kicks ATV1's butt, but when upgraded it seems to be mainly a question of preference.

Not to mention, lower total cost of ownership. You can get an atv2 for $99 and an HDMI cable and be good to go. ATV1 is more expensive, plus the broadcom card...
blacklist Wrote:Not to mention, lower total cost of ownership. You can get an atv2 for $99 and an HDMI cable and be good to go. ATV1 is more expensive, plus the broadcom card...

No it's not. I recently bought two very good second hand ATV1s, one for $50 and one for $60. BCHD is $30-40.
Ned Scott Wrote:No it's not. I recently bought two very good second hand ATV1s, one for $50 and one for $60. BCHD is $30-40.

mhh on german ebay i pay at least 110 euro for one Sad ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
blacklist Wrote:Not to mention, lower total cost of ownership. You can get an atv2 for $99 and an HDMI cable and be good to go. ATV1 is more expensive, plus the broadcom card...

Ned Scott Wrote:No it's not. I recently bought two very good second hand ATV1s, one for $50 and one for $60. BCHD is $30-40.

Memphiz Wrote:mhh on german ebay i pay at least 110 euro for one Sad ...

It seems like in the states you can find ATV1's dirt cheap on "non-auction" sites, because as soon as you go to eBay (no matter where the seller is from), they land at over 100 euros... I've seen one go for 68 euros (about 100 USD), but that was a seller that only took cash in hand and the buyer had to retrieve it from the seller who lived in a small village...

If I could find an ATV1 for 30 euros, I'd buy two Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV vs ATV2 - which to buy?0