Artwork Downloader

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
capfuturo Offline
Fan
(2015-03-24 18:22)fynxgloire Wrote:  Hi thanks for your explanation.
But I tried both ways, Enabling the "Use local files" and disabling "Use local files".
No matter which option I choose Kodi ALWAYS creates a \userdata\Databases\Textures*.db file and also creates subdirectories 0 - 10 in folder C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails directory downloading all Poster and artwork from the internet.

I do not want it to download anything and clog up my hard drive.
Why cant this program just READ the artwork I downloaded manually in each movie on my Z drives subdirectory?
Is it possible?
Your welcome, however after reading your last post I can see you did not understand my explanation. Nevertheless Namoi has expained it to you in a way that should be easy to follow.

Best,

capfuturo

"The world must learn to work together, or finally it will not work at all" - General Eisenhower
(This post was last modified: 2015-03-24 22:48 by capfuturo.)
find quote
fynxgloire Offline
OK, thank you for your reply.
Thats all fine and dandy how Kodi works but why can't I specify another drive letter to store this temporary thumbnail directory?
Why does it have to be on my C drive.
I would like to specify it to be on my F drive instead.
On another though maybe I can make a virtual linked drive and have this location be stored on my dropbox account instead of taking up valuable
space on my C drive.
I will make my C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\ directory a virtual drive on dropbox instead.
Anyone try it? I will tonight if there is no way to specify another drive

lates

(2015-03-24 18:48)Namoi Wrote:  You must understand how Kodi works.

It will always create those folders and files as they are cached (mirror images if you want) of the artworks you have locally or/and the ones scrapped from the net.
Think of them as "optimized" ressources intended to be displayed as fast as possible.

For example my posters are in 2160x1440 (4K ready) in png uncompressed : they are 9MB each.
Kodi just can't use them as they are to heavy so it creates a resized copy of those poster in jpg format. They are located in the directories you spoke of.

Hope it helps
find quote
Glorious1 Offline
Fan
@fynxfloire: On Dropbox? Try that. You should do a lot more reading and a lot less writing about the way things should be.

Kodi 14 "Helix" * ViMediaManager
Mac mini late 2012, OSX 10.10
(optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV)
Logitech Harmony 880 / Bluetooth keyboard
find quote
capfuturo Offline
Fan
@fynxgloire: just to clarify for you and for those just started hiking Kodi's trails who may get confused reading your post:

1. The userdata and its Thumbnails folder are not temporary folders
2. I believe no one has stated but you, that these folders can't be somewhere else. You may try, for instance, Symlinks, amongst other alternatives. Nevertheless, having these folders stored in a location that can't be accessed quickly enough defeats Kodi's purpose for image caching.
3. Further to this, whilst all kind of Frankensteinian implants are imaginable, little bit more of a serious approach and understanding of why developers have designed Kodi to work like this would be desirable, as Glorious 1 has pointed out. Otherwise you may even risk fellows not taking the time to help you here any longer.

@Glorious1: +1

Best,

capfuturo

"The world must learn to work together, or finally it will not work at all" - General Eisenhower
(This post was last modified: Yesterday 05:12 by capfuturo.)
find quote
RamboUnchained Offline
(Yesterday 04:45)capfuturo Wrote:  @fynxgloire: just to clarify for you and for those just started hiking Kodi's trails who may get confused reading your post:

1. The userdata and its Thumbnails folder are not temporary folders
2. I believe no one has stated but you, that these folders can't be somewhere else. You may try, for instance, Symlinks, amongst other alternatives. Nevertheless, having these folders stored in a location that can't be accessed quickly enough defeats Kodi's purpose for image caching.
3. Further to this, whilst all kind of Frankensteinian implants are imaginable, little bit more of a serious approach and understanding of why developers have designed Kodi to work like this would be desirable, as Glorious 1 has pointed out. Otherwise you may even risk fellows not taking the time to help you here any longer.

@Glorious1: +1

In my addon_data folder on my Android Mach 8, artwork downloader has created a temp folder that has cached roughly 2700 images in a temp folder and is using nearly 2GB of space. Is it ok for me to delete said temp folder w/o negatively affecting anything? My thumbnails are stored on an external flash drive, but I'm not 100% sure if the images are the same.
find quote