• 171(current)
Artwork Downloader
Haven't been reading along this thread much but is Kodi 16 or 17 still using the simple logo.png and disc.png type filenames while AD is using the better functionality of movietitle-clearlogo.png and so on?
I think all Kodi provides is the ability to add new "arttypes" to the database, which can then be used in infolabels. The assignment of any particular image file to the extended arttype is not part of Kodi, except via the file browser and "set image". Automated adding of arttypes and urls/files to database entries requires add-on such as AD that calls JSON RPC. AD stores local files as an arttype.jpg (no mediatitle-arttype.jpg).

scott s.
Expanding on what @scott967 has written, Kodi 16/17 doesn't support logo.png, movietitle-logo.png or any variation you might imagine (same goes for disc.png). These are non-standard artwork types that can only be associated with movies by add-ons such as AD, or external scripts.

AD doesn't currently support movie-title prefix filenames *at all* for local artwork - it only supports poster.png, fanart.png, logo.png, disc.png etc. The Artwork Downloader wiki details supported filenames.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
So do I run this after my media is regularly scraped, or will the default scraper pick up the extra goodies like disk art etc.?
(2016-02-03, 04:07)stevedawg85 Wrote: do I run this after my media is regularly scraped

Yes.

(2016-02-03, 04:07)stevedawg85 Wrote: or will the default scraper pick up the extra goodies like disk art etc.?

Nope.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
So I just ran this on my entire DB, first Movies, then TV. And when it scanned TV it went through the entire Movie DB again, So if I add a single movie, do I have to manually run the scan on the single movie? Is there some sort of nightly feed to only pickup the new ones. What if I add 3 movies and 2 tv shows in one day, I have to remember to scan all 5 manually?
(2016-02-03, 19:19)stevedawg85 Wrote: So I just ran this on my entire DB, first Movies, then TV. And when it scanned TV it went through the entire Movie DB again, So if I add a single movie, do I have to manually run the scan on the single movie? Is there some sort of nightly feed to only pickup the new ones. What if I add 3 movies and 2 tv shows in one day, I have to remember to scan all 5 manually?

You can scan single videos for new artwork manually in most skins or you can launch AD in bulk mode and scan your entire library for new artwork. The choice is yours.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2016-02-03, 19:19)stevedawg85 Wrote: What if I add 3 movies and 2 tv shows in one day, I have to remember to scan all 5 manually?

Right, and what if a clearart or logo (or whatever artwkrk) for one of your other older movies has now turned up on fanart.tv since you last scanned that movie? That's why AD re-scans your entire library each time in bulk mode, looking to install the missing artwork items - these can turn up any time, either locally (if you're using "Use local files") or on the remote artwork sites, so it's always worth rescanning the entire library.
(2016-02-03, 19:19)stevedawg85 Wrote: So I just ran this on my entire DB, first Movies, then TV. And when it scanned TV it went through the entire Movie DB again, So if I add a single movie, do I have to manually run the scan on the single movie? Is there some sort of nightly feed to only pickup the new ones. What if I add 3 movies and 2 tv shows in one day, I have to remember to scan all 5 manually?

When I add movies and TV shows I use AD in conjunction with Milhouse's texturecache maintenance utility (TMU) all from the command line. After i've added the media to it's respective folder and scraped my media (I use Mediaelch to scrape everything locally), I run vscan in TMU. This returns the dbID # that i can then run in AD. Again using TMU, I simply call AD to bring in the new artwork like so...
Code:
tc1 exec script.artwork.downloader silent=true mediatype=movie dbid=618
tc1 is just an alias I use to run texturecache.py remotely, but same effect. Silent runs it without needing any input from you. Mediatype can be for either Movie or TVshow and the dbID is what you receive after running vscan.

I suppose you could run AD without the mediatype or dbID's to have it pull in everything, but I do it this way because it literally only takes seconds, whereas running AD on your whole library can take a while. After I run this on any dbID's I get from the vscan, I just run TMU again to cache any artwork that was added.
This sounds quite laborious if your adding 10 movies, and 15 episodes for various tv series, when most users would prefer an Addon that gets the artwork automatically.
Don't get me wrong, Milhouse's Texturecache.py is an awesome script.

@Martijn. Hate to ask, but do you have any timeline for updating Artwork Downloader with the suggested improvements?
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion
(2016-02-05, 04:35)vbat99 Wrote: This sounds quite laborious if your adding 10 movies, and 15 episodes for various tv series, when most users would prefer an Addon that gets the artwork automatically.
Don't get me wrong, Milhouse's Texturecache.py is an awesome script.

@Martijn. Hate to ask, but do you have any timeline for updating Artwork Downloader with the suggested improvements?

Haha, don't get me wrong, if i'm adding that many movies/tvshows of course i'll take the fully automated approach. But just adding 1,2 or even 3, this doesn't take me as long to run as a full scan. Like I said, I can run it without the mediatype and/or dbID's to do a full scan. But I have the commands listed in my motd, so it's mostly just a copy paste for me.

What would be really nice is if I could stack dbID's in the AD command i.e. 618,619,620 etc. Then I could really run it faster based on what ID's come back from the vscan.
Is there any way to have this not download anything by default (more of an opt-in feature, as opposed to an opt-out?). I only ask because this is installed as a dependency on one of my skins, which is fine, the problem is that it downloads about 1.5 gb of extrafanart and extrathumbs that aren't used by any of the skins on any of my installs. I don't need or use extrafanart or extra thumbs, and this seems like quite a bit of data on services that are free.

I'm hoping that I just have a config issue, and not everyone that gets this installed by dependency is downloading 1.5gb worth of pictures unknowingly. My current workaround is to install this addon first, disable all downloading, then finish setting up my install.
Why not disable extrafanart/extrathumbs in the AD settings? AD only processes extrafanart/extrathumbs if they're enabled.

To stop it downloading (and using local) artwork, disable "Use local files".
Final edit: Nothing to see here. I've narrowed it down to a combination of the FTV SKIN with Full working PVR http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=253058 and the Emby Addon. I was flexing my ignorance at the symptom of the problem (lots of things being downloaded) not the problem itself (something triggering the AD to run, thereby downloading what it was set to download).

Thanks for the help.
FTV is a banned add-on (wiki).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
  • 171(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artwork Downloader18